Tomorrow I Fly

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tomorrow I Fly

Post by JeffB1959 »

I haven't flown in years, but, if I were to, I'd love to do so skirted. That would be great fun! :D
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:33 am I haven't flown in years, but, if I were to, I'd love to do so skirted. That would be great fun! :D
When I fly it is always in a skirt and I have had no problems because of it either.
However flying is no longer fun, it has become a great hassle what with the TSA, the masks, the 2 meter separation rules, nasty flight attendants, poor food service, poor service in the airports by the airport and airline personnel etc.
I normally fly to my daughters home for the Christmas holidays but I will not be doing that this year because of the above reasons.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I always fly/travel in a skirt & heels. I don't wear stockings on a plane cause my stockings are high nylon sheers so I understand they are dangerous in that they would melt onto my skin in event of a crash and fire/heat etc...

other than that its comfier in a skirt and with pumps you can slip them off your feet and relax in flight.

I have worn ambra brand stockings (holdup version) - and they are sheerish at 15 denier but they also are uniform to Quantas cabin crew - well those in skirts anyway - because they are designed for extra compression I think for in flight. So there's an example of skirt wearing and hosiery that is a health benefit as well as just looking better in a skirt !

the only downside of skirts at airports is if you have to use the stairs to board the larger planes - rather than airbridges - which can happen at times...

NZF
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I have flown several times skirted with no problems whatsoever and found the experience to be very comfortable. If you are a bit nervous it is all a big non-problem, I have spent several weeks in Norway in skirts and dresses, flying, car hiring and driving, shopping, eating out, talking to locals etc as normal. Just do it!
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

crfriend wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 pm The data don't lie.

However, no national leader had the stones to immediately ban air-travel to/from the affected areas.
Wonderful to see someone use the plural verb to go with the plural noun "data". Thanks.

The assertion that no national leader banned air-travel from affected areas isn't quite right. New Zealand and Australia both did just that. State borders within Australia have also been closed for months (with defined exceptions), resulting in Western Australia having no community transmission of Covid-19 and the only cases being quarantined travellers returning to Australia or those in quarantine or self-isolation having been granted travel exemptions within the country. We're almost back to "normal", unlike almost every other country.
Shalom
Steven
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirts4me wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 amWonderful to see someone use the plural verb to go with the plural noun "data". Thanks.
If one is to use the language, one might as well do so correctly.
The assertion that no national leader banned air-travel from affected areas isn't quite right. New Zealand and Australia both did just that.
I stand corrected. Congratulations to them for almost extirpating this scourge. Unfortunately, where I live we're experiencing another sharp spike in infections and the State is likely to shut everything down again almost any day now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

crfriend » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 am

The assertion that no national leader banned air-travel from affected areas isn't quite right. New Zealand and Australia both did just that.
I stand corrected. Congratulations to them for almost extirpating this scourge.

Unfortunately, where I live we're experiencing another sharp spike in infections and the State is likely to shut everything down again almost any day now.
Carl, part of the problem is that the States NEVER did shut everything down -- even in highly infected areas. Had the US and so many other places, including where I live in Costa Rica, used a 'circuit breaker' effectively in early onset, we too could have been in the ranks of NZ, AU, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc. who have managed to contain, perhaps eradicate, the problem and get their countries back to as near to "normal" as one can in these circumstances. And unless you are going to let the pandemic run its own course without any intervention, it seems likely a shut down is a must. Pick your poison.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 pmCarl, part of the problem is that the States NEVER did shut everything down -- even in highly infected areas. Had the US and so many other places, including where I live in Costa Rica, used a 'circuit breaker' effectively in early onset, we too could have been in the ranks of NZ, AU, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc. who have managed to contain, perhaps eradicate, the problem and get their countries back to as near to "normal" as one can in these circumstances. And unless you are going to let the pandemic run its own course without any intervention, it seems likely a shut down is a must. Pick your poison.
You're right, of course, and the fact that most places did not cut off high-speed transport with the origin of the virus means we're all going to suffer. Indeed, a very hard 2- or 3- week quarantine may be required to snuff the thing out, but the US suffers profoundly from a "planning deficit" where the time-horizon is, at most, a week off. Few here, thanks to cultural pressure ("What have you done for me this week?!") are even capable of planning more than a week in advance so close is the horizon. Even I'd have a hard time laying in three weeks' worth of food to keep me going, nevermind interested in the matter. Then there's the psychological damage -- and nobody is talking about that at the moment.

The thing was is that the developed world could have stopped the thing pretty much cold by severing air transport to China for a few weeks. The problem with that is that the airlines command a whole lot of attention and we (the USA at least) seem to have forgotten about the importance of public health. We had our chance and squandered it for another fistful of dollars.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 am I always fly/travel in a skirt & heels. I don't wear stockings on a plane cause my stockings are high nylon sheers so I understand they are dangerous in that they would melt onto my skin in event of a crash and fire/heat etc...
This is a potential for just about any synthetic fiber, other than specialty heat resistant ones like nomex and aramid. Cotton and wool are natural fibers that won't melt, so they are safer around heat and flames.
nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 am other than that its comfier in a skirt and with pumps you can slip them off your feet and relax in flight.
I do this with my lace up shoes on long flights all the time. But yes slip on shoes make this a lot easier.
nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 am I have worn ambra brand stockings (holdup version) - and they are sheerish at 15 denier but they also are uniform to Quantas cabin crew - well those in skirts anyway - because they are designed for extra compression I think for in flight. So there's an example of skirt wearing and hosiery that is a health benefit as well as just looking better in a skirt !
I've heard of a lot of professions where compression helps, both if you are stuck sitting for long periods or if you are on your feet all day.
nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 am the only downside of skirts at airports is if you have to use the stairs to board the larger planes - rather than airbridges - which can happen at times...

NZF
That's just very short skirts and stairs for you. In the US, most airports use jet bridges almost exclusively, but have a lot of escalators, which are just moving stairs.

I used to worry about stairs you can see through (treads but no back, similar to a ladder), even in a knee length kilt. I've since come to realize it's not really much of an issue. Unless the stairs are very steep and you are in a very short skirt, you don't have much to worry about. Even then, it's likely mostly in your head. I think denim mini works on actual ladders in very short skirts without problems.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:33 pm
skirts4me wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 amThe assertion that no national leader banned air-travel from affected areas isn't quite right. New Zealand and Australia both did just that.
I stand corrected. Congratulations to them for almost extirpating this scourge. Unfortunately, where I live we're experiencing another sharp spike in infections and the State is likely to shut everything down again almost any day now.
The President here in the US did try to shut down air travel from China and elsewhere as it spread. It wasn't enough to keep it out, and he was of course attacked for doing so, but this was in fact tried here as well. It likely bought us some time to prepare.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, shame on you. And you are generally a great one for planning. Over the years we have built up a reasonable food store which should see us able to last at least 6 months, only needing some fresh stuff that doesn't keep - fruit, vegetables, milk and so on. Sure, it takes up space and needs rotation. Interestingly we have been able to build up the store more since the start of this pandemic than we did before it. Being over 60 and diabetic means that we are in the vulnerable group thus giving us a weekly delivery of essentials -food, fresh, tinned and packeted, toiletries and so on. We did try and stop the deliveries due to our effluence but were ignored. We share some of it with family. Plus we have an Aldi within five minutes walk and a shopping centre not that much further away with a large Tesco and other stores. Life is good.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I seem to remember hearing something about the average american having something like 4-5 days worth of food at home. Maybe that was just in urban areas, but still...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 amThe President here in the US did try to shut down air travel from China and elsewhere as it spread. It wasn't enough to keep it out, and he was of course attacked for doing so, but this was in fact tried here as well. It likely bought us some time to prepare.
The US (as a national entity) did way too little far too late. Immediately shutting down air travel to China would not have been allowed by the corporate moguls that run the country (there's too much money at stake and money is more important than lives), and that would have been the case no matter who happened to be living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue at the time.

After it was already too late to stop the initial spread, the various states mounted a ham-fisted effort to at least slow it by instituting a patchwork of disparate schemes, all of which blew the bottom out of the "little economy" (the one the plebiscite try to live in); the net result was an ongoing disaster that could have been avoided in the first place.

The rest of it has been farcical posturing.

1) Nobody paid attention to the science involved
2) Experts on public health and disease transmission were ignored or ridiculed
3) Opportunities to stop the spread were squandered for private profit
4) Lives were needlessly lost -- and continue to be lost -- because of the non-response
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 amCarl, shame on you. And you are generally a great one for planning.
This is definitely one place where I need to up my game a bit.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

6 months of food! I wouldn't even know where to store that much. Though I guess a cubic metre of flour is possible, though it would get a bit boring after a while. However, I'm not worried about food shortage, the experiences of WWII means there are already people way ahead wargaming the possibilities and solutions. But we're a food exporter, worst case our producers can't export and they dump it on us cheap.

As for shutting down air travel to Europe, to have been effective that would have had to have happened in January and it happened in the beginning of February, just a bit too late.. For us the most effective would have been to prevent people going skiing in February since we got a massive influx of infected people coming back from Italy. The vast majority didn't fly, they drove (84%). That was handled somewhat ok, but it escaped anyway. The rest is history.

Turns out a large chunk of international trade uses spare cargo space in passenger planes. Who knew?

The only positive thing to come out of this is some serious funding into vaccines and anti-viral medicines which will help a lot in the future.