MORAL, US politics this week

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

MORAL, US politics this week

Post by Faldaguy »

I sent a link to a number of my family members who have been supporters of Trump and the office of the Presidency in the USA. We have within the family as diverse and strongly held opinions as we sometimes see expressed in this forum (OFF Topic) and it has caused some distress in both places. Often that distress is because of problems we share hoped for outcomes about, but see different approaches to their solution -- much as we do fashion freedom for men! :D

Below is the intro I sent family today: An Opinion piece published in the 'center/right' USA Today newspaper. I AM NOT ASKING FOR DISCUSSION, AGREEMENT, ARGUMENT OR FEEDBACK -- There are members herein who strongly take to different views on party policy and respect -- and I wish to respect those difference--- as I observe the diverse members here I see a group who have considered and thoughtful approaches to concerns of the body politic, so I am sharing this link to add to your own reflection, regardless of the Party or policies you wish to support -- or even if you have chosen not to vote.

Here is what I sent family:

I send along this Opinion piece from a 'center-right' leaning national newspaper, the USA Today to those of you who may still consider Trump an appropriate choice, and some other family members, in hopes you may set political affiliation and party approaches to policy aside in view of compelling moral and ethical considerations.  For those of you who have not lived outside of the US culture, please note that the World view of the US is suffering hugely as a consequence of the current administration.   This election IS about Respecting the Office of the Presidency, and to do that we must have decency in that office.
OPINION:
Why this conservative voted for Biden and you should too: Trump is a morally defective man, I'm a conservative and former Republican who did not vote based on policy. Neither should you. The 2020 election is about the moral future of America. Tom Nichols Opinion columnist
Here is a link to the article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 9337002/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MORAL, US politics this week

Post by Ray »

I appreciate your views and beliefs on this matter. I fear, however, that it may be a little too political. Others may hold different views.

I live in hope.

Ray
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

There are many people in Appalachia that know Trump isn't exactly an ambassador of Christ like virtue, many complain that there really is no good choice.

They will NOT however, under ANY circumstances vote for a candidate that is pro-choice.

The author says that conservatives should put on hold any issue they may have with the democratic party and simply focus on getting Trump out of office.

... the same thing could be asked of the democrats... perhaps it's time for them to table the abortion issue and get this nation back on track. Abortion is NOT the biggest threat to our democracy, its bit even in the top 10, yet democrats insist on maintaining their pro-choice position despite all else.

This is typical American politics, leaving the reasonable voter with no real choice.

What's worse is while many older conservatives (boomers, gen x, and some millennials) know that Trump is rotten to the core, a new generation of school kids being raised in red states are being led to believe that Trump represents proper gentlemanly and Christian behavior... they see their parents and grandparents vote for the pro-life candidate, and they assume that people like Trump are a fountain of wholesome family values, because "grandma and grandpa knows best".

Source:
https://wcyb.com/news/local/tennessee-s ... k-election

I'm not a fan of abortion, but it really doesn't rate high with me on issues that really matter. I DON'T believe the issue of abortion is worth train wrecking the whole nation over. It's time for the democratic party to let that fish go.

And STOP with the whole "cancel culture". People have a right to hate and be pissed off.

You can't legislate love and acceptance, but you can endeavor to change the mind through reason. Change the mind then you will change the heart.

Despite what the left wing says... most whites in my region are NOT RACIST. I think they're getting tired of the democrats accusing them of such.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yes, so far this year I have blasted conservatives on this site, I have laid out some ideas to help Republicans win slightly left leaning moderates, and now for Democrats to win slightly right leaning moderates. Both sides want a "all or nothing".

That just won't fly.

Compromise is the key word here.

Personal liberty is the goal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:20 amPersonal liberty is the goal.
... and will only be achieved if it benefits the ruling class.

The first Tuesday of November is rapidly approaching and I am going to make the same prediction that I made on the first Tuesday in November of 2016: "On Wednesday morning I shall awake in a foul mood because of the result of the previous day's follies." Last time 'round it was because there were no acceptable candidates for office. This year it's the same refrain. This time, I suspect, is the last time. We -- the general population of the United States -- have lost. Irretrievably.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:26 am
moonshadow wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:20 amPersonal liberty is the goal.
... and will only be achieved if it benefits the ruling class.

The first Tuesday of November is rapidly approaching and I am going to make the same prediction that I made on the first Tuesday in November of 2016: "On Wednesday morning I shall awake in a foul mood because of the result of the previous day's follies." Last time 'round it was because there were no acceptable candidates for office. This year it's the same refrain. This time, I suspect, is the last time. We -- the general population of the United States -- have lost. Irretrievably.
My foul mood started the day establishment Biden clinched the nomination.

There are really are only two choices Tuesday

Authoritarian populist or Republican-lite. Neither are on the side of personal liberty.
-Andrea
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:43 pm
OPINION:
Why this conservative voted for Biden and you should too: Trump is a morally defective man, I'm a conservative and former Republican who did not vote based on policy. Neither should you. The 2020 election is about the moral future of America. Tom Nichols Opinion columnist
Here is a link to the article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 9337002/
That is a well-written article. Thanks for sharing it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

A lot of people on either side don't like this guy, but I usually do...

https://youtu.be/e-63oAcaZG8
-Andrea
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:29 pm A lot of people on either side don't like this guy, but I usually do...

https://youtu.be/e-63oAcaZG8
His humor is too coarse for my taste, but he has some good things to say here.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This pulled up in my feed today...

https://youtu.be/8pS1edpeGqI

Some, in fact many think he's a quack. But over the years there seems to have always been something to draw me to his style. I feel like despite all else, he has a good soul, and probably more brutally honest than any other politician there is.

I've half a mind to write him in Tuesday, or follow his advice and simply mark "none of the above".

One thing I learned though, I didn't realize he was so "pro-healthcare".

He sounds like a true libertarian, not what the far left calls a "libertarian"

It's an hour long, but I think it's worth it.

P.S. I'm also somewhat proud to say I actually have no idea who "Anna Nicole Smith" is, but I do know who John F. Kennedy is.
-Andrea
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:32 am
I've half a mind to write him in Tuesday, or follow his advice and simply mark "none of the above".
I don't think this is the election for a protest vote, although I've done it often. A clear landslide will reduce the chances of civil unrest.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:13 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:32 am
I don't think this is the election for a protest vote, although I've done it often. A clear landslide will reduce the chances of civil unrest.
What I find irritating about the situation is that many of us knew the stakes were just as high back in 2016, yet the democratic party nominated a vastly unpopular nominee anyway, here we are again in 2020 and history repeats itself.

Two questions come to mind...

1) Why to democratic voters continue to nominate candidates they turn out to dislike?

2) How many chances should the democratic party get to get it right?

Personally I smell conspiracy, either conservative voters are flooding the Democratic primaries, or the democrats themselves are corrupt and will only advance status quo candidates that will continue the rule of the oligarchs.

A growing part of me thinks that Trump should win just to further advance the crashing of the nation. Perhaps it's time for it to go under so something can rise out of the ashes and take its place. [0]

Nothing last forever, and historically speaking, the U.S. is just about due to fall.

[0] And mark my word, when he does win, note that he has nothing left to lose (he can't run again, plus he's just getting too old), I fear during his second term we will see the worst come out of his administration. It's usually during the second term that the chickens come home to roost.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Consider this.... in the nation there are millions of people, liberal and conservative that are honest, ethical, hardworking, virtuous, etc, and who don't have a past shrouded in corruption, and other such matters, and yet time after time we continue to elevate the worst among us to the nations highest office.

Why?

Why does it have to be this way over and over again? If this is the best, the cream of the American crop, then we don't deserve to hold our rank in the world.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:53 pm1) Why to democratic voters continue to nominate candidates they turn out to dislike?
Because the electorate has no say in the matter. In all recent "elections" the candidates were chosen well in advance of the convention by the party machine. The plebecite has precisely no say; hence the controllers of the Democratic Party nominated an unelectable candidate in 2016.
2) How many chances should the democratic party get to get it right?
No more. They've had enough.
Personally I smell conspiracy, either conservative voters are flooding the Democratic primaries, or the democrats themselves are corrupt and will only advance status quo candidates that will continue the rule of the oligarchs.
Conspiracy is an obsolete idea; that went out the window during the 80s and was completely swept aside for all time in 2000. Just say it's legal and it magically becomes so. Recall that constitutionally, the President of the United States holds the power of a Roman Emperor -- and power has only been concentrating in the Executive Branch for forty years.
Nothing last forever, and historically speaking, the U.S. is just about due to fall.
It already has. The headstone reads 1991. Both the Soviet Union and the United States were utterly bankrupt thanks to an ill-advised and idiotic arms-race and the Soviets blinked first and collapsed in a rather uncontrolled fashion. The United States followed several days later, but managed to keep the propaganda going that it was still healthy when, in fact, it itself, was devolving just as the Soviet Union did. Fast forward a few years and one finds modern Russia as an oligarchy, and rather unashamedly; the United States morphed into an oligarchy as well, but internal propaganda kept the common man from actually recognising it. Note that Russia and the US continue to have "elections" -- reasonably fair ones, too, until you look at how the candidates are selected for presentation to the general population. Precisely the only difference between the transformation of Russia into an oligarchy and the US into one is that the Russian one was rather chaotic; the US transformation was controlled and tightly scripted by master propagandists.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

So tomorrow morning I will be setting my clock 1.5 hours earlier than usual, to be at the polls around 6am.

I plan to don a skirt as usual.

The media is predicting a full blown Civil War to break out.

I am uncertain of my fate. However should I lose my very life as a result of this, let it be known...

I didn't die of COVID-19... :wink:

As for whom I shall cast my vote for, I have decided to support au eh to y .... fj .....wkd......

(Call dropped) 8)
-Andrea