POSTED

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: POSTED

Post by moonshadow »

When we lived in Pulaski VA, we lived on a somewhat "bad" side of town, and there were a few times we were relieved of a few items now and then. Never anything extremely valuable... usually just some junk metal I'd occasionally save to turn in.

We did lock the doors at night, but would leave the windows open.

I always followed the logic that a locked door only keeps an honest crook out. Plus it's not like we could watch the place when we were gone.

I've never lived in an area where there was a need for bars on windows, nor would I.

My advice to anyone living in a high crime area would be formulate a plan to get the hell out of Dodge. I'm a small town boy, I don't think I'd like living in a big city, hence my not moving to Nashville when I had the chance... rent and crime rates too high.

Here in Lebanon VA, they're pretty religious, pretty conservative, but generally pretty tolerant, provided you stay out of their way.

I made a little video discussing it...

https://youtu.be/SP4BVbv0KKU
denimini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 am mad person travelling through could come in and harm me but I am not going to live my life prepared for such an unlikely event.
I've often said "I'd rather live with risk than live with fear".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Shilo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm I have been burgled and the house left in a mess. My wife’s jewellery taken; not vastly valuable but you can’t replace the sentiment. The most disturbing aspect was the array of knives lined up on the bed. I was informed by the police that was in case I came back and disturbed them. Now there’s locks on the windows, bars on the doors and a big dog in the hall. We don’t live in high crime area just near to the motorway network which makes for a quick getaway. My advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I’ll sing you no lullabys
:roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have been burgled and the house left in a mess. My wife’s jewellery taken; not vastly valuable but you can’t replace the sentiment. The most disturbing aspect was the array of knives lined up on the bed. I was informed by the police that was in case I came back and disturbed them. Now there’s locks on the windows, bars on the doors and a big dog in the hall. We don’t live in high crime area just near to the motorway network which makes for a quick getaway. My advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I’ll sing you no lullabys
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

A few years ago a policeman visited my house (I can't remember the reason for his visit, but I hadn't done anything wrong -- honest!).  He asked if I had high security locks on the inside doors and I said I hadn't because they only made people think there was something worth stealing and the repairs to the doors would cost more than the value of the items stolen.  I asked him to look around and tell me what he would take if he had 20 minutes to help himself; he replied: "Hmm, I see what you mean".

Then he added: "...but the problem is, they often trash the place".  I said: "Yes, but the real problem is that I would come home and it might be a couple of days before I realised they had done it".  There was a twinkle in his eye as he said: "I'm glad it was you who said that, not me".
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We live in a very low crime neighbourhood so the chances of being burgled doesn't come on our horizon. But having said that we do lock our front door more as we get older.

As to the sign in post 1, I appreciate the humour but it's not a sign that it would be advisable to display around here. Likely to get a visit from the "boys in blue" with a request to remove it and, living in a quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of the city, very few people would see it anyway.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am As to the sign in post 1, I appreciate the humour but it's not a sign that it would be advisable to display around here. Likely to get a visit from the "boys in blue" with a request to remove it...
For real? I understand some countries have stricter firearm laws than the U.S., but to ban a sign? Doesn't that fly contrary to whatever "freedom of speech" rights you may have?

As for our "boys in blue", as long as you're white, and preferably a member in good standing at a conservative Christian church, you can pretty much do whatever you want. We had one Virginia sheriff that threatened to "deputize" every citizen in his county when the state legislature attempted to ban assault rifles.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:15 am
Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am As to the sign in post 1, I appreciate the humour but it's not a sign that it would be advisable to display around here. Likely to get a visit from the "boys in blue" with a request to remove it...
For real? I understand some countries have stricter firearm laws than the U.S., but to ban a sign?...
The reason we have stricter firearm laws is because a large proportion of the population is very anti-firearm and anti- the culture that is often associated with them.  A sign which appeared to promote that culture or suggest that its owner is in favour of firearms would offend a large number of people and would only be put up in the U.K. by someone with extreme views or a mental condition that made them unaware of society's norms.  It wouldn't be banned as such, but it would certainly not be welcomed and its owner would find himself on some sort of "keep an eye on this one for signs of trouble" list.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:53 pm A sign which appeared to promote that culture or suggest that its owner is in favour of firearms would offend a large number of people and would only be put up in the U.K. by someone with extreme views or a mental condition that made them unaware of society's norms.  It wouldn't be banned as such, but it would certainly not be welcomed and its owner would find himself on some sort of "keep an eye on this one for signs of trouble" list.
Kinda like those weird guys that wear skirts in public... :wink: 8)

That would be akin to police harassing someone over placing an "Atheist" sticker on their car, or potentially someone filing a complaint with the county over my "THEY BOTH SUCK 2020" sign I have in my yard... I would imagine quite a few locals take GREAT offense to my assessment that Donald Trump "sucks" (despite the fact I also indicated Joe Biden also "sucks"), but such is my freedom of speech.

A small sign or expression posted on my own private property is my business, and woe unto the government that decides otherwise.

Alas, when the nation I live in finally falls (it won't be much longer now), I suspect some local NAZI is going to put a bullet through me.... just aim for the head is all I ask.
-Andrea
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

"Freedom of speech" ends when it can be considered a credible threat. Whether a random sign in your yard is a credible threat, that is something you can debate.

Saying you think <insert candidate here> sucks is doesn't threaten anyone. Saying you think all <insert candidate here> supporters should be shot is something else.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:15 pm "Freedom of speech" ends when it can be considered a credible threat. Whether a random sign in your yard is a credible threat, that is something you can debate.

Saying you think <insert candidate here> sucks is doesn't threaten anyone. Saying you think all <insert candidate here> supporters should be shot is something else.
Perhaps, but teeeechnically.... Fred's sign (the one that started this thread), really isn't a threat. All it says is that the property owner is old, fat, and lazy...

Still yet, I don't think such a sign would be banned in the U.S., nor should it be.... I would consider it a warning rather than a threat.

If I were going to be shot for trespass, I'd appreciate a sign such as this, and would certainly heed it.
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:41 pm Perhaps, but teeeechnically.... Fred's sign (the one that started this thread), really isn't a threat. All it says is that the property owner is old, fat, and lazy...
Still yet, I don't think such a sign would be banned in the U.S., nor should it be.... I would consider it a warning rather than a threat.
If I were going to be shot for trespass, I'd appreciate a sign such as this, and would certainly heed it.
At last someone gets it!!! Thanks Moon, you show you have a humorous soul in you... :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:27 pm
pelmut wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:53 pm ...someone with extreme views or a mental condition that made them unaware of society's norms.  ...
Kinda like those weird guys that wear skirts in public... :wink: 8)
No no: we are perfectly well aware of society's norns - but we don't agree with some of them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:41 pmPerhaps, but teeeechnically.... Fred's sign (the one that started this thread), really isn't a threat. All it says is that the property owner is old, fat, and lazy...
Never let on about your infirmities, and never let on about your advantages. Both can cause you trouble. There are some things that are best played close to the vest. Just sayin' -- and that goes for any culture, not just what passes for cultcha in the USA.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 pm
moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:41 pmPerhaps, but teeeechnically.... Fred's sign (the one that started this thread), really isn't a threat. All it says is that the property owner is old, fat, and lazy...
Never let on about your infirmities, and never let on about your advantages. Both can cause you trouble. There are some things that are best played close to the vest. Just sayin' -- and that goes for any culture, not just what passes for cultcha in the USA.
Indeed, it is the fact that we just don't know.... is that guy in a skirt packing heat or not?
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, the sign would just be considered "in bad taste" over here and, although the police couldn't force the removal of the sign, it would probably come under the category of incitement to violence. Plus neighbours would probably voice objections [0]. It has nothing to do with free speech or anything like that. We have a completely different way of looking at guns and gun control. We don't understand your fascination with them and you don't seem to understand our rejection of them. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

[0] They certainly would in my street. We mainly keep ourselves to ourselves but we still have to co-exist with them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.