Loss of Daylight Savings Time......

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Loss of Daylight Savings Time......

Post by moonshadow »

Grandpa Jones had a little something to say about it too...

https://youtu.be/7GjkPAMSJdE
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pmGrandpa Jones had a little something to say about it too...

Well, it would seem that YouTube won't play audio for me any longer, likely down to my highly aggressive level of advert-suppression. Oh. well, YouTube was getting pretty close to useless because of the density of adverts anyway so it's no big loss...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm Grandpa Jones had a little something to say about it too...

Fun. I agree with Grandpa that DST is a useless hassle. But I guess studies have shown that people shop more when it's light out, so it helps sales a little.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

All the replies from various points on the globe with their compounding problems should be enough to put this silly artifact to bed once and for all; but alas we always have a few that are too bright and know better! Aside from our "trained" sun that I bragged upon earlier; I spent a couple of years in the Arctic -- based in Yellowknife where we had our midnight tee off golf tournament in June; and where in summer I'd fly into Pond Inlet at 3:00 am to find the kids playing ball in the field beside the airstrip -- hey, the plane, the plane....it was coming in -- a big event; and in Grise Fiord (about 75 degrees north latitude where I've spent a full week with no sun at all (could have been a lot longer -- but the plane came in!) Clearly DST is not a significant factor for so much of the world -- and probably shouldn't be for the rest; I'm with Carl, let nature have its place.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

pelmut wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:38 pm Is there only half an hour difference between the two zones or have I misunderstood the maths?
Yes, only half an hour.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm
moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pmGrandpa Jones had a little something to say about it too...

Well, it would seem that YouTube won't play audio for me any longer, likely down to my highly aggressive level of advert-suppression. Oh. well, YouTube was getting pretty close to useless because of the density of adverts anyway so it's no big loss...
For me, as long as I am at my PC and using Chrome, no adverts on YouTube. the nearest I get to adverts are where the poster had made an advert (This video is brought to you by Squarespace type of thing) and if they go too far with those, well at least you can skip that sort of content or switch to someone who hasn't started adding them.
My choice of ad killer is Ad Block Pro, which is free. I use it on Chrome but it also works on Firefox and I read somewhere that it now works on the latest version of Edge. I can't stand Youtube on my phone or ipad thanks to the adverts, although as I also often use Chrome on them maybe I need to experiment more.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:14 pmMy choice of ad killer is Ad Block Pro, which is free. I use it on Chrome but it also works on Firefox and I read somewhere that it now works on the latest version of Edge. I can't stand Youtube on my phone or ipad thanks to the adverts, although as I also often use Chrome on them maybe I need to experiment more.
I'm not about to apply a large layer of extra stuff onto the "daily drivers" as they're all older kit that's pretty slow, so what I do is to leverage my network infrastructure in ways that the computers simply can't find any of the really obnoxious advertising sites. This is all done with DNS by essentially asserting local authority for, say "doubleclick.net" (to use an egregiously evil example -- and shame on you Google for running it!) and then providing no resolution records. That has worked spectacularly well in the past, at the expense of identifying the worst offenders -- and the best part about it is is that it protects my entire environment, even guests who have brought computers in have commented on the experience.

Ultimately, though, the Internet will become so polluted with adverts, spam, and scams that it will become as useless as broadcast radio and television.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I must admit, I am using the latest oscillating system and keep it up to date, my 11 year old pc still copes adequately with 64 bit Win 10. it mostly lets me play my favourite simulators, apart from XP11 + Zibo, I have given up with that. Chrome + Ad block pro + FBP (keeps Facebook useable) help keep me away from having to face reality!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!