Loss of Daylight Savings Time......

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Loss of Daylight Savings Time......

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well here in the good ole' US of A, Daylight savings time ends at 0200hrs Sunday morning. So remember to set your clocks back 1 hour before going to bed so you can make it to your favorite place of prayer or meditation in the morning.

Don't forget
BACK 1 HOUR BEFORE BED!!!!

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the fine people at SC. :D
So pay attention you hear...... :twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Loss of Daylight Savings Time......

Post by crfriend »

I really desperately wish we could just abandon "Daylight Saving" time. It doesn't save anything, it just keeps it dark in the morning longer. If The Man wants me to go to work an hour early, I'll do it; we do not need to dick with the clocks.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:31 pm I really desperately wish we could just abandon "Daylight Saving" time. It doesn't save anything, it just keeps it dark in the morning longer. If The Man wants me to go to work an hour early, I'll do it; we do not need to dick with the clocks.
Just wait until Tennessee gets congressional approval to stay in permanent daylight savings time while Virginia continues to switch the clocks twice per year. Considering I cross the state line several times per day.... it will surely wreak havoc.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:31 pm I really desperately wish we could just abandon "Daylight Saving" time.
That's why we call it "Summer time" and "Winter time".

Midwinter you have less than 8 hours of daylight, so that's most useful between 8:30 and 4:30. Midsummer you have less than 8 hours of dark, which is best put between 9:30 and 5:30 (actually 10:30-6:30 would be better, but hey). To achieve this you need to switch clocks.

I will however grant you that at the latitudes of most of the US it's basically pointless.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

At least, the two latest hour changes did happened during lockdown thus we had no big issue with work or other things :) (for me, even if it's not officially a lockdown here in Belgium, I feel like in a lockdown. With imposed full remote working I now have social interaction only with my brother, it's the same than in march. For example, I'm likely to not go outside before thursday or friday)

But yes, that's definitely just something to annoy people, and does not have any positive impact.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

With this Covid 19 virus DST has less importance since a sort of quarantine makes working from home easier.

Some places DST makes no sense when you are virtually in your own time zone i.e. Hawaii.
In the case of Alaska it is 6 months of dark and 6 months of light what is the DST thing ?

Makes sense to match your schedule of activities to match your close neighbors.

There were thoughts to go on permanent DST - madness !

Oh the madness - you are 15 minutes difference from your neighbor - and Yes he is across the date line !

The sun dial does not observe DST.

What do we need UCT (Uniform Coordinated (Greenwich) Time) for if we are going to alter it but not universally ?

Who watches the Atomic Clock count micro mini seconds ?

Such folly man has created altering Gods creation !

Oh and moving the clock forward is easy in the Spring just move that hour hand 1 hour forward
now in preparation for Shakespeare's winter of discontent moving the hand back 1 hour is sure to
mess the internal workings of grandfather mantel heirloom clocks ! You either stop time for an hour
or move the clock 23 hours ahead careful that that digit date will change or your moon dial will now
be out of sync with actual movement. And don't forget the dashboard clock in your jalopy horseless buggy !

Does DST affect space travel - do light years have any saving features ?

I think I will go back to jousting with windmills - time is fleeting enough !!! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hey fellows -- you just have not trained your sun properly: Ours is disciplined -- up about 6 am and down about 6 pm -- year round; now if we could just train them dang clouds!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

No daylight saving for us in QLD, Australia.

As we're heading into our summer, the problem for us is that at 4.30 am it's light enough for the lights to start turning off, but at 7 pm, it's dark.
Then when you travel to the western extremity of the state, the sun rise and sun set times are about an hour later, and in the tropical north, sun rise is about 6.30 am and sun set around 6.30 to 7 pm, and the whole state is in the same time zone.

If you had daylight saving in QLD, it would only really be worthwhile in the south east corner, so where would you draw the magic line to separate the time zones?...

You can travel 2000 km and not leave the state of QLD...east to west is about 1500 km and we're on the coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here the main objectors are those in the north of our island since the mornings are darker for longer and the complaint is that the kids will be going to school in the dark. Yeah, the solution to that is to go to school an hour later and finish later. So what's the problem? I wish that British Summer Time would end, it's a relatively modern phenomenon.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

When communicating with other people, just state times in G.M.T. and let them work out their own differences.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:59 am No daylight saving for us in QLD, Australia.
I am aware of the problem of faded curtains up there :)

I love daylight savings. I can go shopping and get back before dark. I travel through a time zone (without speeding) and it takes me 1.5 hours to get there and 2.5 hours to get home. One year they had one time zone go onto daylight time before the other and it was great as I could do the 200km trip to the shops in half an hour ......... but it was a hell of a long trip back home. Luckily my time piece (phone) auto ajusts when it regains reception towards the end of each trip .......... and my brain adjusts via the receptors in the back of my eyes looking at the phone, over-riding the natural instincts regarding the position of the sun in the sky. All so simple and luckily the roosters next door just don't get it.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

denimini wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am ...I travel through a time zone (without speeding) and it takes me 1.5 hours to get there and 2.5 hours to get home.
Is there only half an hour difference between the two zones or have I misunderstood the maths?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:59 amYou can travel 2000 km and not leave the state of QLD...east to west is about 1500 km and we're on the coast.
The distance between Standard Time meridians is 15 degrees, or one hour in time. Since we're dealing with longitudes here, the mileage between meridians varies because they all converge at the poles. The fact that you can travel a decent chunk of the way across a continent and stay in one time zone is a civil matter not a problem with the round Earth (although there are people who still believe it's flat). Mainland China, for instance, is one official time zone -- even though it technically spans close to eight. It can be late evening in the east of China and early morning in the west -- both when the wall-clocks say the same thing.

The intent was to put "noon" for each time zone where the sun would be more or less directly south (in the mid-latitudes northern hemisphere; invert for south of the equator) at noon on the meridian -- and the farthest anybody would be "off" that would be 30 minutes.

Daylight "Saving" time (or Summer Time) perverts that by "moving" noon by an hour by virtue of fiddling with the clocks once per year. It's broken by design and needs to go.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:11 am Over here the main objectors are those in the north of our island since the mornings are darker for longer and the complaint is that the kids will be going to school in the dark. Yeah, the solution to that is to go to school an hour later and finish later. So what's the problem? I wish that British Summer Time would end, it's a relatively modern phenomenon.
If I remember correctly (being as how I live in deepest darkest Scotland) up here, most folk do not want to be stuck on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time or Zulu time for them that know things), we would rather stay on BST all year round, to give us a ghost of daylight in the evenings. Lets face it, the days of schoolkids walking miles to school ended long ago, with over-protective parents ferrying their kids to school in cars, they no longer need daylight in the mornings, whereas a bit of daylight before the kids get fed and stick their faces into their phones/tablets might give them a chance to breathe air that hasn't been centrally heated!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

So, wake 'em up an hour early so they can get home an hour early and still have noon where noon ought to be, not at some random offset from where it should be. (Other than the normal variance due to the equation of time.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Standard Time, and the use of UTC for things that span time zones. I just have no use whatsoever for random civil acts that try to tamper with nature.