Hypothetical election questions answered....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Hypothetical election questions answered....

Post by moonshadow »

Thought this was interesting, as we have two candidates, in high risk categories regarding covid (one diagnosed, the other probably not far behind...)

What happens in the event of a candidates death?

Legal Eagle attempts to address the question...

https://youtu.be/UzzugWwv4-M
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Re: Hypothetical election questions answered....

Post by Uncle Al »

Also, the video discusses how the Electoral College works.

Great info :!: :thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

He seems to be pretty informative. Apparently a practicing lawyer currently living in D.C. I enjoy his videos as he tends to just stick to the facts of the law.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This cartoon was published in an Irish newspaper. I don't know who the artist was or its source, but I understand it alludes to Trump's encouraging people in South Carolina to vote early.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

When a candidate dies, the running mate can decide to run for office with a new running mate. That's what I think.
Hypothetical: Biden dies, Kamala decides to go on with the show and chooses Hillary as her running mate.

We will be following the upcoming US elections every day now.
Next spring we have our own elections in the Netherlands. And that is just the same boring stuff every 4 years, but hey it's democracy so we vote.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Rokje wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 amHypothetical: Biden dies, Kamala decides to go on with the show and chooses Hillary as her running mate.
That would almost certainly guarantee four more years of Trump.

Actually, if the presidential candidate dies, the party would have to nominate a new presidential candidate and then a vice-presidential candidate. This would be problematic at best because all the "election" paperwork was prepared long in advance of the actual thing. The general thoughts here run towards the election being run with the dead candidate still on the ballot, and then the VP might assume power via the constitutional rules.

The difficulty comes this time 'round in how many people have already cast their ballots by mail (like me). For them it's too late if a scenario such as the above comes to fruition. Not that it really matters anyway because all the candidates were blessed by the oligarchs in advance anyway and one will be the same as another to the rabble.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Too true. It’s the men in grey suits who run the show. The rabble at best gets to choose which shade of grey. This is what passes for democracy but there’s much worse in the world.
“ They looked from pigs to men and men to pigs and couldn’t tell which was which” Apologies to George Orwell for the mis quote.
:roll:
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I have a bumper sticker on my car that says
VOTE ... while you still can!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There are plenty of lawn signs and bumper-stickers around here pleading for "Any Functioning Adult" in 2020.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

crfriend wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:44 pm There are plenty of lawn signs and bumper-stickers around here pleading for "Any Functioning Adult" in 2020.
One of those signs:
thumbnail 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

20201022_220840_resize_7_compress59.jpg
My little homemade sign...

Don't worry... it's child friendly... kids can't read cursive anymore... :twisted:
-Andrea
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Seems to me that you guys have to choose the lesser of two evils. The worst thing you can do is not choose and sit on the fence. That way you forfeit the right to moan about whoever wins.
:roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Shilo wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 pmSeems to me that you guys have to choose the lesser of two evils. The worst thing you can do is not choose and sit on the fence. That way you forfeit the right to moan about whoever wins.
That's pretty much been the way it is all my adult life. I recall a single candidate being worth voting for, and when he was elected continued the policies of what will likely go down in history as being the nation's most overtly evil administration in history.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by crfriend » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:58 am
Shilo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 am
Seems to me that you guys have to choose the lesser of two evils. The worst thing you can do is not choose and sit on the fence. That way you forfeit the right to moan about whoever wins.
That's pretty much been the way it is all my adult life. I recall a single candidate being worth voting for, and when he was elected continued the policies of what will likely go down in history as being the nation's most overtly evil administration in history.
Carl I don't need to remind you, but perhaps for others watching this space, that is because the candidates are truly bought and sold -- the few who are naive enough to think they can make a difference should have known from the onset that the money that gets them there is poisoned and if they seek to step outside the bounds, there are consequences. (There in fact have been credible threats of harm, or more, upon family members of POTUS when other forms of intimidation did not work.) Until "Citizens United") the ruling that gave Corporations personhood is not only overturned--but elections are publicly funded and other bribes severely constrained will they ever be much hope for 'justice' in the USA. We vote at best for the least evil cheerleader -- and cheerleaders don't play the game on the field -- in fact, the field is behind closed doors.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:06 am Until "Citizens United") the ruling that gave Corporations personhood is not only overturned
Legal personality is a thing, and is what allows corporations (and other entities like the EU) to own things and enter into contracts. This exists everywhere and hasn't been controversial in centuries. Where the US deviates is the idea than an association of citizens can have "rights". The corporation, business, etc is a legal fiction created by the state and has no natural rights. But the argument goes that if individuals can spend as much as they like because of free-speech, then why shouldn't groups be allowed to work together?

Alas the US Constitution pre-dates the rise of the corporation and thus provides no guidance. But I think focussing on person-hood is missing the point, the whole problem lies in considering the spending of money as "freedom of speech".