Irish address formatting

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Irish address formatting

Post by moonshadow »

As I imagine postage will cost a bit extra, I thought I'd double check the formatting of Irish addresses as I want to send a letter through the mail.

Figured Tom might weigh in as I believe this is near where he lives....

Fungie the Dingle Dolphin
Unit 2, The Pier, The Tourist Office, Dingle, Co.Kerry

That is from their website. Its all one line... that can't be right..

Even looking over some examples on Google, the formatting seems quite different than U.S. mailing addresses.

Forgive me but I've never mailed something international before...

Return address still in the top left hand corner?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Irish address formatting

Post by partlyscot »

On an envelope, I would normally expect to see the town (Dingle) on another line, and Co. Kerry on yet another. (Co. means County)

Thus.

Fungie the Dingle Dolphin
Unit 2, The Pier, The Tourist Office,
Dingle,
Co.Kerry

But I am just assuming they do it the same as in England.
On the other hand, sometimes I don't understand Irish logic.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

To be on the safe side I’d assume that each comma means a new line. Don’t forget to finish with Republic of Ireland. Assume no one uses common sense.
:roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Truth is, Moon, Fungie the Dingle Dolphin, Ireland would get you to the right place.

Having looked up the Eircode the proper address should read:

Dingle Dolphin Tours,
Unit 2, The Pier,
Strand Street,
Dingle, Co. Kerry
V92A6XT
Rep. of Ireland

....and Partlyscot, The two words Irish and Logic simply don't scan, no more than the words German and Cuisine!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks all,

Google has the return address placed in the top left hand... is this correct? Thus would read:

Moon's legal name
123 Road he lives on street
Lebanon VA 24266
U.S.A.
Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am Truth is, Moon, Fungie the Dingle Dolphin, Ireland would get you to the right place.
I've heard it used to be like that here, and in some smaller towns, it may still be. I once had a post office box in Pulaski Virginia and received a letter with just my name on one line and "Pulaski Virginia 24301" on the bottom. No box number, street address, nothing. They still knew what box to put it in.

Of course they all knew me by name there having become somewhat involved in town culture back then.... I kinda miss those days...

P.S. I feel so privileged to be a part of a site with an active Irish member... because y'alls addresses.... whew! A little confusing.. :P :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Moon -

If you add a 4 digit zip suffix after the 5 digit (post office) it narrows it down to a specific street road address and the carrier would know where to deliver the mail.

Now being maybe out in the hicks and sticks the 4 digit addition doesn't apply but as you have noted the post office should know of you and where you live.

My uncle was a postmaster in a small town of some 800 and was the best locator source for people - in town - rural route - p.o. box in the post office.

The return address on envelopes can be on the top left front or the top back center (sealable flap) - parcels and other items always top left corner of the package or label.
Try and leave the area in the lower right corner for input of bar scanning codes tracking info. Some companies have that bar code already imprinted to move the
mail directly to a specific department i.e. bill payment accounts receivable.

Now if only the pony express would be run by competent people - (not for profit or position bestowed because of a favorable political position).

USA Election mail should be EXPRESS MAIL and not next to the last day delivery if at that !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Our zip-codes are only about four years old and are building specific, that is, every single building in the State has been given an 'Eircode'. It took the sat-nav people and others a little while to programme them in, but now to get any delivery or service the Eircode will guide them to your own door. Not so clever is the widespread use of both O (Oh) and 0 (Zero). e.g. our house code ends with T075 which initilly we misinterpreted as TO75, which is useless.

We have a 'studio cottage' in the grounds about 200 yards from the house which has no official planning permission. To our surprise it was given its own seperate eircode, which is useful. I reckon they spotted it using Google Maps.

Tom
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

A coincidence.
That address drops the pin, on Google map, about 150 metres off the place we had a motorhome parked two nights about three years ago. My partner participated in the Dingle Marathon. Travelled around western Ireland about two weeks after that. Nice place.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 pm Our zip-codes are only about four years old and are building specific, that is, every single building in the State has been given an 'Eircode'.
Good for delivery by drone ................. so long as it is not a bomb.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Kirbstone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Our zip-codes are only about four years old and are building specific, that is, every single building in the State has been given an 'Eircode'.
Even the Brazen Head has one of these new fangled addresses -- but I hear tell they still make a good OLD FASHIONED Irish whiskey!

I think it was more fun in the days Moon referenced when you took the dog-leg past the old "Yellow church" (which they neglect to tell you burned to the ground a decade before) -- but everyone knows where it was!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am

....and Partlyscot, The two words Irish and Logic simply don't scan,
I used to think this, but I have found Irish people do use logic. but it is a very different one to that used by most of the world. Not wrong, just.......different.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

As Faldaguy would attest....That logic would probably best be reinforced by a shot or two of 'The Creathur', taken in divided doses orally for medicinal purposes only. One suggestion is a nip of the attached, at a knockdown price for a bottle!

Latest reports are that our 'Fungie' remains without an address. In 37 year since 1983 he has been gone for only a day or so, but now he has not been sighted for over a week. When he first appeared he was estimated to be 8 or 9 years old, which would put him at about 46 now. What is tne max. lifespan of bottle-nosed dolphins ?

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 pm As Faldaguy would attest....That logic would probably best be reinforced by a shot or two of 'The Creathur', taken in divided doses orally for medicinal purposes only.

Latest reports are that our 'Fungie' remains without an address. In 37 year since 1983 he has been gone for only a day or so, but now he has not been sighted for over a week. When he first appeared he was stimated to be 8 or 9 years old, which would put him at about 46 now. What is tne max. lifespan of bottle-nosed dolphins ?

Tom
Many of them live to 40+, the females 10 or 15 years longer. Fungie is getting on a bit.
When they die most types of dolphin tend to sink.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 pm Our zip-codes are only about four years old and are building specific, that is, every single building in the State has been given an 'Eircode'. It took the sat-nav people and others a little while to programme them in, but now to get any delivery or service the Eircode will guide them to your own door. Not so clever is the widespread use of both O (Oh) and 0 (Zero). e.g. our house code ends with T075 which initilly we misinterpreted as TO75, which is useless.

We have a 'studio cottage' in the grounds about 200 yards from the house which has no official planning permission. To our surprise it was given its own seperate eircode, which is useful. I reckon they spotted it using Google Maps.

Tom
Last March, when everything was going into lockdown I signed up with a couple of supermarket chains for home delivery. With one of them instead of giving my full address all I had to do was enter my Eircode and instantly my address popped up. Big brother is watching!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/ni ... ie-dolphin

It looks like Dingle and Fungie fans across the world might have to say goodbye.

I am deeply distressed about this. I found Fungie online back at the start of this dismal and dark year (around February), and through all of the shut downs, economic downtowns, laying in bed worrying if I were going to have a job the following week, or worse, even be alive, all while the leadership of my homeland made a complete disaster out of everything, there were days where watching the Fungie videos were the only thing that brought a smile to my face.

Politicians have made me angry

People (pretty much everybody) have disappointed me

The pandemic has made me worry.

Fungie made me smile

And his absence makes me weep.
-Andrea