Perfect stone catenary arch.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Perfect stone catenary arch.

Post by Kirbstone »

I thought B&B might like this.

As a lifelong frustrated would-be civil engineer I couldn't resist taking the attached photo of a cut limestone bridge arch on the Grand Canal at Crumlin, Dublin, where I had a wait during a visit to the nearby childrens' hospital.
The slanting October light reflected upwards off the water illuminated the underside and reinforced the perfection of the original build, in 1791 to be precise.
Fortunately Ireland hasn't suffered any techtonic plate movements since then, so the original perfection remains. Limestone and granite were used for structures throughout and in my birthplace, Monasterevan, Thomas Telford designed our 40-yard granite aqueduct over the river Barrow, built in 1823.

The local canal harbour still has four deep bays for parked barges, leaving the main canal free. The modern appartment blocks replace structurally unsafe old warehouses which were still there when I was a child.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Perfect stone catenary arch.

Post by crfriend »

My word, Tom, that shot of the canal tunnel exit is positively exquisite! Nice capture!

Sad news from the New World, though: the local authorities in Boston don't seem to regard any of the stuff I was to relate to you on your planned visit from a few years ago as important, and all markers and traces are now vanished. I drove through the area a few times a little bit ago, and none of it was recognisable. :cry:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Carl,

A sad tale indeed, no doubt driven by commercial interests. One day We'll walk there and you can 'fill me in' on all the gory details.

In Crumlin in Dublin they are well advanced with the construction of a massive new National Childrens' hospital which is slated to cost more than the Burj Kalifi in Dubai !!! The old canal threads right through the new complex, but no-one would dare lay a finger on the preserved old structures.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That is a great photo with the relection of the arch.
Catenary arches have a fairly even distribution of compression forces, so I guess that is why they always look right.
I have formed a few myself, not that big a span though.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Kirbstone » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

I thought B&B might like this.
And a bunch more of us! Great picture; thanks for sharing these, I've been enjoying your historical insights -- only problem, I'm running out of years to visit so much more territory.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Superb first picture. The shadow and light plays a great supporting role too.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Absolutely beautiful photos and a wonderful arch there, I love the reflections of reflected light. that really is a fantastic bridge. Great photography there! I am having to get my canal fix by watching a variety of vlogs on youtube. At least while working from home I can sit outside or just look out at the loch and mountains here.
Got to admit, things are rather depressing, looking at canals, thinking of pubs, jamming with guitars, sailing, all just seem like distant memories now, just now there doesn't seem to be much if anything to look forwards to. However, life could be a lot worse, I am lucky enough to be in a job that isn't affected by the current crisis, the only things that have changed are working mostly from home, which is a bonus, as well as the periodic travel being stooped, which is a downer, wandering around Gibraltar last year in warm weather and a skirt was very pleasant, can't see that happening again any time soon. When we do get to travel I will be back to being part of a team which will not be skirt friendly, to be honest, the thought of flying and having to wear masks means I don't want to travel until the crisis is over, doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.
Oops! brain dump again, anyway, lovely pics!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 amGot to admit, things are rather depressing, looking at canals, thinking of pubs, jamming with guitars, sailing, all just seem like distant memories now, just now there doesn't seem to be much if anything to look forwards to.
Rest assured that you are not alone in that feeling, Sir. If this ill wind ever blows itself out we'll find how bad the psychological toll has been; and that may prove a problem that dwarfs the virus itself.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:44 amGot to admit, things are rather depressing, looking at canals, thinking of pubs, jamming with guitars, sailing, all just seem like distant memories now, just now there doesn't seem to be much if anything to look forwards to.
Rest assured that you are not alone in that feeling, Sir. If this ill wind ever blows itself out we'll find how bad the psychological toll has been; and that may prove a problem that dwarfs the virus itself.
I fear you might be right! Still, never mind eh?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sideline. It has been reported that the incidence of 'flu' has plummeted ( over here, at least ) by as much as 98% since the incidence of the CV19. No reasons for this yet. And what has been embarked upon - the biggest 'flu' vaccination campaign ever, particularly among the eldest segment. I had mine yesterday and felt crap last night. I feel better now, though. Anyway back to the subject. Great photograph.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:32 pm Sideline. It has been reported that the incidence of 'flu' has plummeted ( over here, at least ) by as much as 98% since the incidence of the CV19. No reasons for this yet.
A fairly obvious reason is that 'flu spreads by the same mechanism as C-19, so precautions against the pandemic are also effective against 'flu.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

On the flip side, here in NL the Rhinovirus is still going strong and has apparently not been impressed by our social distancing. We can thank our lucky stars Covid doesn't travel the way the Rhinovirus does (via aerosols). Or the measles (R0=12 to 18) where you can be infected by a single virus particle entering a room two hours after the infected person left.

It also doesn't help that people get sick, get tested, say "oh, it's not Covid" and subsequently go to work and infect everyone else. Idiots.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The problem I find with respiratory infections such as the common cold is that employers actually frown upon time taken off to let it take its course and to recover so encouraging the spread of the disease. My take is that if you are ill with a cold then you should be at home. If you have the true influenza virus then you are in no condition to get out of bed never mind go to work and is at least a two week affair. I know, I've had flu more than once.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.