Uncle Al -- 2020, Electoral college & music for your ears!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Uncle Al -- 2020, Electoral college & music for your ears!

Post by Faldaguy »

Uncle Al, I couldn't help but think of you when I came across this earlier in the day. It it hardly the beautiful chords and tunes of the Organ music you posted this week; but it might ring the strings of your heart on matters of the The New Green Deal, and it echo's your concluding line on another thread about the country changing. But all the elements were there -- they were calling your name, so enjoy the parody of the Bossa Nova and know we were thinking of you! :)

https://parodyproject.com/something-new ... ossa-nova/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Uncle Al -- 2020, Electoral college & music for your ears!

Post by Kirbstone »

Well and professionally put together, obviously pre-Covid. Catchy repetitive little jingle and it's the words that count. Subtitles helped.

Thinking of Uncle Al, Wurlitzers offer mighty entertainment from a single gifted operator, but they always, no matter what stops are pulled out....sound like a Wurlitzer.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:21 amThinking of Uncle Al, Wurlitzers offer mighty entertainment from a single gifted operator, but they always, no matter what stops are pulled out....sound like a Wurlitzer.
That has more to do with the way the instruments are played instead of the character of the instrument. A Wurlitzer can be played as a traditional concert organ by turning the tremulants off and staying away from the "tricks and traps" section. I heard that done quite a while ago when my late ex- and I attended the commissioning ceremony of the Wurlitzer at the Hanover Theatre in Worcester. The organist started out -- to most everyone's surprise -- with a dazzling and straight rendition of Bach's awesome Toccata and Fugue, and the instrument seemed to love it. But then he stopped and mentioned to the audience that "That's not how these instruments are played.", and then the rest of the ceremony was straight theatre-organ style with the great beast sounding precisely like -- a Wurlitzer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very interesting, Carl. Steep learning curve still at age 78. I didn't know that!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A comment on 'Styles' of playing -

I helped to restore a 3 manual, 18 rank Wurlitzer.
Quite a bit of woodworking was involved, about 85% that is.
We've had several different artists play the instrument.
Each artist brought unique sounds from the same 18 ranks of pipes,
thus making it sound like a different instrument each time.
That's the versatility of the instrument and how the artist blends
each voice into his/her playing.

( Hey - It's fun to play, too ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:00 pmWe've had several different artists play the [restored] instrument. Each artist brought unique sounds from the same 18 ranks of pipes, thus making it sound like a different instrument each time.
That's the versatility of the instrument and how the artist blends each voice into his/her playing.
On average, a theatre-organist will play like a theatre-organist and a concert organist will play like a concert organist -- irrespective of instrument. A goodly amount of the visceral enjoyment we get from music isn't necessarily the instruments involved, it's the human factors. Technology helps, to be sure, but ultimately it's how the humans arrange things.
( Hey - It's fun to play, too ;) )
My reaction: "Oooh! Look at all the moving parts!"

One of the things I like about pipe organs is the complexity involved that at the end of the day is coaxed into producing beautiful music -- an entirely worthy use of technology if you ask me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I was involved in helping a friend with some of the restoration an Aeolian pipe organ.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.