Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Faldaguy »

I too, find myself the only person in a skirt at gatherings which I find surprising, living in a warm climate. I think I mentioned elsewhere; I was at a rally in a skirt and a young woman told me later that she felt out of place wearing a skirt ........ until she saw me and felt much better.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
I think you may be on to something. In a very small unstructured sampling my observations are that in those places I visit consistently, the women there tend to pick up something of the vibe and start to wear skirts more often. I had one woman in her 90's ask me which I found more comfortable -- pants or skirts? She said my skirt wearing had given her pause to think about the skirts she had put away, and might get back out. My wife increased her skirt wearing when I commenced wearing skirts almost all the time.

I don't know where in the Outback ye be, but I recall a day feeling pretty lonely in Cunnamulla, and the flies in Coober Pedy preclude any exposure, but Melbourne seemed a natural -- but heck, loads of the women were still in their skirts and dresses there as women in big cities do seem more fashion statement concerned. Anyway, can't hurt -- I still like the look on women better, but do hope the men catch on.

Falda guy,
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I wonder if some women who are interested in skirts feel like the odd man out, so hesitate to wear one.

But what if somebody else-even a man-shows up skirted? Would that embolden a woman?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Short answer, Yes. From a very small arbitrary and non-scientific sampling, my observations in the few places I routinely attend, the number of women wearing skirts has increased from the times before I attended those venues routinely in a skirt.
Though it does not make a difference in my choices, I too find I enjoy being in a skirt more when there are more folks in similar dress (albeit women at this stage of our evolution)--people do seem to be herd animals in much of their behavior.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As the weather people on television say, this is the hottest and driest time of the year in Seattle. Late July/early August.

Occasionally see a woman in a skirt/dress, typically wearing a mask.

Though there don't seem to be as many women in dress/skirt as in previous summers. However, this is a very strange year.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 pm As the weather people on television say, this is the hottest and driest time of the year in Seattle. Late July/early August.

Occasionally see a woman in a skirt/dress, typically wearing a mask.

Though there don't seem to be as many women in dress/skirt as in previous summers. However, this is a very strange year.
It's also been a bit more humid this year. I've seen a few women so attired out toward Redmond, Woodinville, etc. Granted, I've been avoiding Seattle lately, mainly because of the no "non-essential" trips aspect of King County's Phase II opening.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Of course, the heat is a good argument for wearing skirts. :!:
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Since I began wearing skirts my wife has been wearing skirts and dresses more often. Maybe it's contagious? She looks better in them than I do. It is very hot where we live and I like being the most comfortable man around.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Happy-N-Skirts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:54 pm

Since I began wearing skirts my wife has been wearing skirts and dresses more often.
Same here -- I guess we just need more men to pick up the habit!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Seattle is now into early autumn weather. Not particularly harsh yet. I expect to see a few women skirted, likely with leggings. After October I expect the weather to be harsher, and skirts rare.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

On a Monday I drop my grand-daughter at a College across the city and pass several schools on the way. I find that primary school and early secondary school girls tend to wear school skirts, That is up to the age of about 12. But sometime around the age of thirteen the emphasis switches to trousers. My grand-daughter agrees with this observation without providing a clear reason why. Of course that may change as the weather gets colder. We'll see. As for adult women - mainly jeans/trousers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not that we are going anywhere these days, but All of the local secondary schools have prescribed uniforms for teenagers: midi-length part- pleated tartan or plaid skirts with a knitted top/jumper. Boys are universally grey-grey.

What is disturbing however, is that at lunch break they crowd into the entrances of fast-food outlets all crushing together as pre-Covid and hardly a mask in sight. We will certainly have a big problem there, and soon.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Well, the last couple of weeks in the charity shop has probably seen more skirts sold than in the last year. I think it was six in total. Reading the fashion blogs then there seems to be a bit of a push on skirts for 2020 autumn/winter... mostly pvc mini (back to the 60s?) or maxi skirts. I certainly can't remember seeing anyone in maxi skirt lately though. The skirts that sold on the days I was at the charity shop were all minis.

In terms of on the street, then I would say that I've noticed a few more skirts, but not many, being worn by students, but that's about it. In a recent discussion with some middle aged women, most didn't even own a skirt, and I didn't get the impression that they were about to rush out and buy one.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Actually I suspect that many women are not buying mini skirts at charity shops to wear but to sell on eBay, which is OK by me as I can't travel the countryside looking. Rarely I am bidding against someone else on them.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Denimini, You might be right, but I don't look at Fleabay that often. I see loads of interesting skirts for sale on Faceplant marketplace...

But then again, you only need to walk around Brisvegas to see that there's no shortage of skirts being worn out and about here. There's something about living in a sub-tropical climate..
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have asked women why they don't wear skirts or dresses in really hot weather and I have been told it is because of their thighs rubbing together. I have also been told that few women are wearing skirts or dresses when working from home during Covid so entirely possible that during the last few months there have been more men than women wearing skirts or dresses.