Gucci Dress for Men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gucci Dress for Men

Post by JohnH »

All I can say about that outfit - yuck. And I can think of a lot of other things to do than to pay so much for such a rotten looking garment. For that amount I could buy a closet full of ordinary dresses that look MUCH better. Or I could enhance the contents of my liquor cabinet. Or buy wood and tools to make musical instruments.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:34 am
Dresses on guys can work -- and can work quite well indeed. It just takes attention to detail.
I think there is considerable potential with such garments. But to make it work the designer must be serious about making something that men can wear as clothing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:04 pm I think there is considerable potential with such garments. But to make it work the designer must be serious about making something that men can wear as clothing.
Grok
Not so much a case of can wear as opposed to would actually want to wear.
There will should always be scope for the flamboyant freestylers but the real commercially viable demand is only ever likely to stem from more "conservative" looks.
It goes that way for female fashion too so there is no fundamental reason why it shouldn't work for guys too.
The designers will still command their own prices but it is the major retailers who will ultimately decide such garments ever become widely affordable. In the meantime I'll just keep grazing from both sides of the great divide.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The point I was making was not so much the dress itself as it seems to be a bog standard check dress of a style that can be bought just about anywhere cheaply. It was the colour. Orange is not a colour worn by women and certainly not by men. It doesn't suit most complexions. I don't have any garment with orange either as its main colour or even containing the colour in any caption or picture. Not a colour I would ever consider wearing. Now had the dress been a blue check or even black check then it may have been a bit more wearable. Just my 2p worth.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:11 pm The point I was making was not so much the dress itself as it seems to be a bog standard check dress of a style that can be bought just about anywhere cheaply. It was the colour. Orange is not a colour worn by women and certainly not by men. It doesn't suit most complexions. I don't have any garment with orange either as its main colour or even containing the colour in any caption or picture. Not a colour I would ever consider wearing. Now had the dress been a blue check or even black check then it may have been a bit more wearable. Just my 2p worth.
At one time during WW2 it might have matched the complexion of many men in the RAF as they were very orange from all of the carrots they were fed.. Supposedly to help their night vision.
:lol: :lol: :tmi: :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The whole thing beggars belief. That guy modelling it should tear it off and prance round in the jeans alone.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:07 pmAt one time during WW2 it might have matched the complexion of many men in the RAF as they were very orange from all of the carrots they were fed.. Supposedly to help their night vision.
Also in the US Army in tropical parts of the world where the enlisted men ware issued Atabrine (spelling probably incorrect as it's a phonetic representation of a conversation had many years ago with my grandfather) as a guard against malaria. The officers were issued with quinine (and possibly gin to cut the bitterness). My grandfather was an officer in the medical corps at the time and gave orders that the officers were to use the same treatments as the enlisted men to cut down on accusations of "favouritism" -- so the officers turned orange as well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:07 pmAt one time during WW2 it might have matched the complexion of many men in the RAF as they were very orange from all of the carrots they were fed.. Supposedly to help their night vision.
Also in the US Army in tropical parts of the world where the enlisted men ware issued Atabrine (spelling probably incorrect as it's a phonetic representation of a conversation had many years ago with my grandfather) as a guard against malaria. The officers were issued with quinine (and possibly gin to cut the bitterness). My grandfather was an officer in the medical corps at the time and gave orders that the officers were to use the same treatments as the enlisted men to cut down on accusations of "favouritism" -- so the officers turned orange as well.
There once was a man stuck in a stall,
He tried to get out but would fall.
One day a man flushed,
The fat man just blushed,
And quickly ran out of the mall.

There once was a boy named Dan,
who wanted to fry in a pan.
He tried and he tried,
and eventually died,
that weird little boy named Dan.

There once was a colour named orange, ...Damnit.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 pmThere once was a colour named orange, ...Damnit.
Because there is // as far as I know // no word in the English tongue // that rhymes with "orange".
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:43 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 pmThere once was a colour named orange, ...Damnit.
Because there is // as far as I know // no word in the English tongue // that rhymes with "orange".
Well, there are place names and surnames though.

There once was a colour named orange
A man spotted on the mountain of Blorenge
Said he, a dress I'd like made,
of exactly this shade
Then sent a picture to his tailor, Mrs Gorange
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Love it!!!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Hate it, lol.
One of the problems with guys wearing dresses is that unless you're lucky they are not designed to fit most males forms with broader shoulders and lack of bosoms they tend to hang unflattering, they had a chance here to design something that would look good on a guy (and we've all seen pictures of guys wearing dresses looking good) and instead it falls into the 'let's laugh at guys wearing feminine clothes' box, plus it's in that middle England rag the mail!
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Lose the damned jeans!

Some "man"....

NO POINTS GIVEN!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Upon seeing the "dress", my gut reaction was :puker:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Still the guy said that the fit was wrong and simply a woman's dress, fit and all, pointed towards men. FAIL.
I have gotten the impression that the big name designers think as though they are designing for women (to the extent that they think of customers at all). As though men are women, if oddly proportioned for women.