Gucci Dress for Men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Gucci Dress for Men

Post by jamodu »

For $2,600/£1,700, Gucci are offering their Dress for Men - to combat ‘Masculine Toxicity’

I don’t know about you, it’s definitely not my Cup of Tea - at any price.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... w-MEN.html
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gucci Dress for Men

Post by JeffB1959 »

Two and a half grand? For THAT? Give me a break! I've seen better looking dresses at Wal-Mart! That thing probably cost ten bucks to make in a sweatshop while slapping a Gucci tag on it represented the rest of the cost. Hard pass!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

This guy wears the dress just posted above. It is interesting to note many of the non-reactuons he receives.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... frock.html
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Word to the wise: "Lose the dungarees." It's an entirely naff look. Likely half the reactions had more to do with the incongruous look of the pairing than about the dress itself.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
steamman

Post by steamman »

The Gucci dress is awful and something much nicer can be picked up for 1/100th of the price! However, what I find interesting were some of the non reactions the guy received. I also liked what he said about men wearing skirts and that he was not against wearing dresses per se, it was just this one he didn't really like. However, I agree that wearing the dress with jeans is stupid. What is the point of that? If you are going to wear a dress, go for it 100%.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

It looks like crap. The idea is good. But the product is not,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:48 pm This guy wears the dress just posted above. It is interesting to note many of the non-reactuons he receives.

One woman asked the man if he is a gay model.

I recall something mentioned in the Fashion Freestyler (formerly Casual Crossdresser) web site. An assumption that men who significantly deviate from traditional masculinity must be gay or otherwise uninterested in women. Because women are the gatekeeper of sex/reproduction, and failing to jump through that first hoop (sticking to convention) condemns such men.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:48 pmThis guy wears the dress just posted above. It is interesting to note many of the non-reactuons he receives.

One woman asked the man if he is a gay model.
Bear in mind the source. The Daily Wail is not generally known as the most reliable outlet...
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Didn't read the article, but seen the photos. From front, he appears like a server or a cooker to me. But from back, argh... he appears to me like a maid. Not so good
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:01 pm Word to the wise: "Lose the dungarees." It's an entirely naff look. Likely half the reactions had more to do with the incongruous look of the pairing than about the dress itself.
What is the point of wearing a dress over trousers? You lose the advantages of an open ended garment.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
There are more comments on this on the Gucci thread in couture.
Certainly not a winner this one. My personal take is that they have designs from across the aisle that would work perfectly well on a male.
You just have to have the disposable income and less sense.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The colour, orange, is a really difficult colour to wear successfully. It really is the wrong colour for this dress and by choosing it Gucci made it totally unsuitable and a bad example for people to see. Had it been a nice shade of blue....

Still the guy said that the fit was wrong and simply a woman's dress, fit and all, pointed towards men. FAIL.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:28 pm The colour, orange, is a really difficult colour to wear successfully. It really is the wrong colour for this dress and by choosing it Gucci made it totally unsuitable and a bad example for people to see. Had it been a nice shade of blue....

Still the guy said that the fit was wrong and simply a woman's dress, fit and all, pointed towards men. FAIL.
Fail, yes I agree. But looking at the broader picture is it not a positive gesture that fashion houses are beginning to produce such attire for men. Perhaps they didn't get it right this time, give them a chance and they might next time?
The ethos of Skirt Cafe isn't going to change the world overnight but every little victory helps?
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Freefrom wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pmBut looking at the broader picture is it not a positive gesture that fashion houses are beginning to produce such attire for men. Perhaps they didn't get it right this time, give them a chance and they might next time?
Not the way I see it, no. Stuff like that is deliberately designed to be so shockingly over-the-top that it is unwearable, by men or women, and only meant to generate "buzz" and get people talking about the designer.

At best this will be viewed as just another ridiculous publicity stunt. At worst it will signal to the general public that men who wear dresses will look that horrible no matter what we wear.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:51 pmAt best this will be viewed as just another ridiculous publicity stunt. At worst it will signal to the general public that men who wear dresses will look that horrible no matter what we wear.
This is the problem with "Fashion Houses" (capitalisation deliberate) in general. It's all about the "buzz" and nothing about the wearability or fitness for use.

Dresses on guys can work -- and can work quite well indeed. It just takes attention to detail.

Note the shots I've posted of mine, Note also that all of them are custom jobs but were had at reasonable prices from places that do such work. I routinely get very good commentary on my dresses, especially the long one. So, it can be done, it just takes getting things right -- and trying to artificially nullify "toxic masculinity" isn't part of that equation, and men know it.