A rather philosophical question...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A rather philosophical question...

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:45 pmTime is nature's way of stopping everything happening at once!
And mankind is intent on trying to "multitask"... Go figure.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Here's another one: In a demonstrably matriarchal society (as evidenced by the legal system in the USA), what place does chivalry have?

I got verbally taken to task last night by one of my housemates who accused me of not being "chivalrous". This was accurate enough, of course, because I live in a world where men and women are equals [1] and chivalry demands that women be inferior. I was not amused, especially as I was trying at the moment to (1) figure out precisely why the house wasn't behaving as it should and (2) was also in the midst of trying to do a "black-start" of all my computers following a power-cut that theoretically should not have happened.

[1] an inaccurate statement, see my comment about the legal system; we live in a matriarchy at the moment, but I do the best I can
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Chivalry is not limited to behaviour of men towards women, although this is the most common context.
In outback country towns we are all chivalrous, to everyone. We can tell when someone is visiting from the city as they will not acknowledge us in the street, hold the door open, etc. Even when we are driving on the open road we will acknowledge drivers coming the other way with a wave of the hand or a mere raising a finger off the steering wheel. I have been driven home from the post office with a heavy parcel (wine) by a young lady who was waiting there and who I did not know.
I was crossing the street the other day and a car slowed and stopped, I thought they wanted to talk but they were stopping to let me finish crossing. There is no gender bias to our chivalry, I will open the door to females and males alike. I get most pleasure of being excessivly chivalrous to one trans woman in town, who I have known since she was a young boy ......... I play it up saying "ladies first" and she plays it up too, as a bit of fun.

On the contrary, if I am busy doing something complicated, I am chivalrous to no-one and other people are then chivalrous to me by understanding and not wanting to disrupt my concentration. So perhaps your housemate was the one who was not chivarous in expecting chivalry in such a situation.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:15 pmSo perhaps your housemate was the one who was not chivarous in expecting chivalry in such a situation.
I hadn't thought about it that way, and admit that I was actually quite annoyed by the assertion at the time.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Denimini
I read that as consideration and good manners to fellow folks.
Regardless of age, gender or culture but it may have an awful lot to do with rural as opposed to urban life.
Nice thought that restores faith too.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In my neck of the woods, (0) chivalry is very common place.

We acknowledge each other with a nod or a wave of the hand, we hold doors for each other, we allow those with only 1 or 2 packages go ahead of us in the check out line, etc, etc.

Only we call it good manners, and we were taught it by our parents and grand parents as well as in school and Sunday School, it is called the "Golden Rule".

(0) deep southern rural South Carolina...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by denimini » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:15 am

Chivalry is not limited to behaviour of men towards women, although this is the most common context.
In outback country towns we are all chivalrous, to everyone...
Tourists, do be aware -- these practices are in the "outback" -- a great place to visit; but be sure you are not a roo crossing the road! Indeed in our couple years of travelling in OZ we were invited to barbies merely from walking past one in the park; but in the city the crosswalk is the strike zone!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

crfriend wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:50 pm
denimini wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:15 pmSo perhaps your housemate was the one who was not chivarous in expecting chivalry in such a situation.
I hadn't thought about it that way, and admit that I was actually quite annoyed by the assertion at the time.
Great point! It’s definitely not chivalrous to expect chivalry
:roll: