Holiday Cape Cod

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Holiday Cape Cod

Post by FranTastic444 »

I’ve lived near Boston for just over 6 years but, until now,I never got out onto the Cape.

For a “significant” birthday we were due to meet up with friends to visit DC and NY, but COVID put the block on that little jaunt. So instead, the wife and I find ourselves at a holiday let a little way from Harwich Port. It has lovely semi-secluded gardens and I’ve been skirted throughout our time at the cottage - we have done a lot of al fresco dining in the yard.

Yesterday we went up to P-town and I chose this as the ideal opportunity to don the utility kilt I purchased some time ago. Loved the freedom of movement and the air cooling effect :-). May wear the same on our travels today, but the wife is a bit concerned that we seem to be in a little pro-Trump enclave and she is worried about the reaction (I’m not).

For those that don’t know P-town, it is a popular LGBT holiday destination, with a pretty relaxed and laid back attitude (so I knew that a kilt would pass virtually unnoticed) I saw a guy walking hand in hand with his female partner, both wearing sarongs, so I want the only fashion freestyler out and about that day :-)

Stopped for essentials at a liquor store and Stop & Shop on the way back from P-town. Got a few sideways glances in the supermarket, but no comments. In the booze shop the assistant boldly proclaimed - “is that a utility kilt you have there?” His friend has one - and the assistant started (when I asked what he thought) that he approves of the look :-)

So, a fun week. We got a couple of kayak trips in and we hope to squeeze in another tomorrow, weather permitting.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Holiday Cape Cod

Post by crfriend »

It's great to hear you two got away for a little bit.

Provincetown is a hoot, and I've been there several times, each time arriving by boat from across Massachusetts and Cape Cod Bays. I've never been there by road, interestingly. Incidentally, I've developed a bit of a tradition when I visit there, and that's each time I make landfall there at some point in the visit I'll buy myself a skirt or two at a delightful little place right down by the big piers.

The Cape in general is pretty laid-back, and I'd be very surprised if you received any stick for wearing a skirt pretty much anywhere -- even from Trump supporters.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice post, F444. I suppose from where you stand a holiday at the Cape was pretty much a 'Staycation'. Carl the mariner knows all the ins & outs of that coast.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

FranTastic444 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 pm May wear the same on our travels today, but the wife is a bit concerned that we seem to be in a little pro-Trump enclave and she is worried about the reaction (I’m not).
I am glad you guys had a fantastic time on your outing.
As for being in an area of Trump supporters I would not worry too much it is only the very extreme right that "may" cause comments and bad looks but for the most part they are like me easy going. I am always skirted and am a Trump supported and have attended meetings of Trump supporters with out any problems...

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Nauset Light Beach yesterday - just a fabulous place to spend some time. Have you been there, Carl?

Tom - a couple of hours drive for us, so very much staycation territory :-). Funny, when we lived in the UK and drove up to the Lake District, it seemed like a big journey. As a friend of mine who worked in the US for a short while would often say - “we think 400 miles is a long journey, and they think 400 years was a long time ago”

Feed I shouldn’t cast aspersions - sorry.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:47 pmNauset Light Beach yesterday - just a fabulous place to spend some time. Have you been there, Carl?
I do not believe so. I'm not a big beach-goer, and I believe the farthest north I've been along the outer Cape has been the old Marconi station at Marconi Beach. It's kind of funny that in my own state I'm farther traveled by sea in ways than I am by car.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Provincetown is fantastic.

It's about a 2-1/2 to 3 hours for me, and a regular day-trip during my timeshare week in Hyannis. And, weather permitting, a sunset visit to Herring Cove or Race Point beach (no charge after 5pm). It is one of the few places on the east coast where you can see the sun set on the water.

My personal favorite shops in Provincetown are Marine Specialties, Puzzle Me This, and the Provincetown Portuguese bakery. I've also walked the lengths of commercial street In a variety of different rigs with hardly a sideways glance. Actually I take that back. The kilts typically garner positive reactions and compliments. I've even been serenaded passing a street musician due to the kilt.
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

Two years ago my wife and I were visiting Cape Cod and P-town. Before arriving I had no idea the town was well known for LGBT. One of the first persons we saw was a man wearing a kilt. We had a great holiday at the Cod and in Boston. Unfortunately, no skirting for me… Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.