CAUTION working with your vehicle

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

CAUTION working with your vehicle

Post by Uncle Al »

OK - Dumb stunt :!:

I had my mind on several things and not what I was actually doing.
There is a 'latch strap' on/in the rear doors of my Suburban. When
opening the doors, before going halfway open, you pull the 'strap'
towards the opening. This allows the doors to open a full 180 degrees
from the closed position.
Crushed finger 2020-09-09.jpg
A word of caution.....When working with your vehicle, keep your mind on
the CURRENT task. This could happen to you! Split the finger nail 1/3 the
way down the middle. :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: CAUTION working with your vehicle

Post by Fred in Skirts »

OUCH!!!!! :pale: :blue:
Sorry to hear of your accident. I know how much those nail splits can hurt..
I hope you for you a fast recovery!

I hope every thing else is going better for you and the misses..

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 pmA word of caution.....When working with your vehicle, keep your mind on the CURRENT task.
No kidding, I know the current mantra holds that humans can "multi-task". They can't. There is ample research available in both psychological and medical journals that refute that myth. Believe those, not current "group-think" and pop-sci.

Even more serious, when dealing with anything mechanical, pay close heed to the immediate task at hand because if you don't the consequences can be a lot more severe than a split fingernail. Al was lucky this time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Ouch! I wish you a quick recovery!

As say crfriend, when there is any kind of danger in some task, always focus on this task without doing anything else. But however I don't totally agree when you say human can't be multi-task. It depends on what kind of tasks are involved: for example I can play some kind of games (not all) while watching television and sometimes by speaking with people (but it depends on what kind of conversation). Or I can do sew and speak at the same time. But generally, yes, doing many things simultaneously is not a good practice and you are better just by doing them one by one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:20 pm[... H]owever I don't totally agree when you say human can't be multi-task. It depends on what kind of tasks are involved: for example I can play some kind of games (not all) while watching television and sometimes by speaking with people (but it depends on what kind of conversation).
Hilariously, we're looking at something where the organic evolved world mimics the highly-engineered world of computer-science. Humans and computers, it turns out, do precisely the same things when switching tasks -- and the term "task switching" is what appears in the medical and psychological literature.

Any time a computer needs to switch tasks, usually based on a clock interrupt, it must safely stash away all of the information in use for the "interrupted task" before starting in on the "new task". These breaks are known as "context-switches" and in computing terms are fantastically expensive; the same thing needs to happen when a human changes tasks in mid-stream -- and, unlike computers, we're more likely to forget something important in the process and when we try to return to it are likely to miss more. The end result can be a disaster if anything important is happening at the moment (e.g. when driving an automobile). Do one thing at a time and do it well. If it needs to be put down to pursue something else, find a good place to make that happen; don't try cutting the original off hard unless there is a catastrophic emergency that needs immediate attention.

This idea goes back hundreds of years -- long before there were technological parallels, and there's at least one parable that speaks to the notion of, "The man who tries to catch two rabbits catches neither."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

AFTER removing the bandage and protector.
Finger after unbandaging 2020-09-13.jpg
Still hurts and finally getting some feeling back in the fingertip.
I'm wondering how long it will be before the fingernail falls off :?:

Uncle Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:07 pm AFTER removing the bandage and protector.
Finger after unbandaging 2020-09-13.jpg
Still hurts and finally getting some feeling back in the fingertip.
I'm wondering how long it will be before the fingernail falls off :?:

Uncle Al
It may not fall off but may turn an ugly shade of brown and black. It may be sensitive for a long time after it heals up.
I hope you heal fast.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

It's not just vehicles that pose a risk of injury:  A couple of weeks ago I was unscrewing the collet chuck from my lathe when blood started to cover everything.  I found that my little finger had a deep slicing cut along the side of the nail, but it was so clean that I hadn't felt it happen.  There was no sign of what had done it and it took several days in a bandage before the sides started to knit together properly and begin to heal.

Last week exactly the same thing happened about a millimetre away from the previous cut.  This time I made a thorough investigation and found a sliver of the nickel plating on the main bearing cover had peeled off and was sat there like a razor blade, just waiting for a passing finger.  It was hidden in the narrow gap between the chuck adaptor plate and the cover and there was only enough room for my finger to drop into the gap when the chuck was partly unscrewed.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

pelmut wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am It's not just vehicles that pose a risk of injury:  A couple of weeks ago I was unscrewing the collet chuck from my lathe when blood started to cover everything.  I found that my little finger had a deep slicing cut along the side of the nail, but it was so clean that I hadn't felt it happen.  There was no sign of what had done it and it took several days in a bandage before the sides started to knit together properly and begin to heal.
Adding raw honey to the wound and then putting on the bandage will help it heal faster and will keep it sterile as well.. :toast:
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

As my old Art teacher always told us "if you can't grow fingers grow careful" a mantra I us to this day. Thank you Mr Slaney.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not to worry, Uncle Al. Even if that finger falls off you'll still have nine left :D

You may remember Russ Conway in the 60s who made money selling sheet music of ditties like 'Roulette' &c. Well, he had lost a part of a little finger, yet still managed to play Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue' with Orchestra live at the Theatre Royal in Dublin, a performance which I attended. Impressive.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

pelmut wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am It's not just vehicles that pose a risk of injury:  A couple of weeks ago I was unscrewing the collet chuck from my lathe when blood started to cover everything.  I found that my little finger had a deep slicing cut along the side of the nail, but it was so clean that I hadn't felt it happen.  There was no sign of what had done it and it took several days in a bandage before the sides started to knit together
That’s usually the case when you injure yourself when working. The first indication is that you notice blood all over the place. Maybe that’s why it’s red so that it shows up against the oil.
:roll:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Shilo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:03 pm
pelmut wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am It's not just vehicles that pose a risk of injury:  A couple of weeks ago I was unscrewing the collet chuck from my lathe when blood started to cover everything.  I found that my little finger had a deep slicing cut along the side of the nail, but it was so clean that I hadn't felt it happen.  There was no sign of what had done it and it took several days in a bandage before the sides started to knit together
That’s usually the case when you injure yourself when working. The first indication is that you notice blood all over the place. Maybe that’s why it’s red so that it shows up against the oil.
Yeah those fluids -
Green for anti-freeze coolant
Golden for oil - dark black when change is needed
Purple for transmission
Clear or Blue for windshield wiper
Grey for air-conditioning R134

Brown when air bag deploys LOL !

Short term assistance with finger nail repairs - use super glue or any of its various forms
Do not use eye drops - this will not get the red out.

So in essence a paper cut to the nail WOW !
I have heard of a death by a thousand cuts and now this !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !