Bloody cars

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bloody cars

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Kirbstone,

Yes that Hunter was a lot of fun, I'd had the ton out of it, but it just didn't sit that well on the road above that point, so never took the risk..But one time I was driving it along a straight road sitting at 140kmh, I stopped in the next town for a loo stopped and a guy asked me what on earth I'd done to that thing???
At 100kmh she was ticking along at about 2700RPM in 4th OD, 140 was about 4100 RPM and 160 was about 4800 to 4900 RPM.

I do remember parking it backwards on a grass island in the middle of the road one morning as I gave it too much juice when coming around a roundabout on a damp day, watched by all in peak hour traffic.

That VR4 Galant, now that was an ear to ear grin to drive, especially when the turbo kicked in.

Then one time with a friend in his 1973 351 Ford Falcon GT replica....as the lyrics in the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" go, "It's got 8 cylinders, and it uses 'em all"!!... managed to light that up at 80kmh and punch a hole very quickly closer to the horizon...

Cars, cars... too much fun...There's a reason why I prefer driving a manual transmission car...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

75" Aussie,

Yes, Hunters had a simple beam live rear axle and cart springs. To handle all that extra power and avoid tramp a Panhard Rod and koni shocks all round would have helped enormously.
My closest bro. heavily modified his 1965 MGB roadster for night navigation rallying. He had great fun trying to tie the rear axle down, too. Those were the days.
My 1966 Vitesse had swing-axle rear suspension and was a very dangerous car in the wet.

Just today I have been out with the measuring tape and found that my mini is just 16" to the hem, while the rear jaw of my V70 Volvo gives 78" or 6'6" clearance, so even you wouldn't hit your head on it.

I thought of imitating Kilted_John and his raft of big Volvos, but my relatively skinny corporation lacks his solid majesty. I don't have any floral skirts or spaghetti straps either.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:18 pm 75" Aussie,

Yes, Hunters had a simple beam live rear axle and cart springs. To handle all that extra power and avoid tramp a Panhard Rod and koni shocks all round would have helped enormously.
My closest bro. heavily modified his 1965 MGB roadster for night navigation rallying. He had great fun trying to tie the rear axle down, too. Those were the days.
My 1966 Vitesse had swing-axle rear suspension and was a very dangerous car in the wet.

Just today I have been out with the measuring tape and found that my mini is just 16" to the hem, while the rear jaw of my V70 Volvo gives 78" or 6'6" clearance, so even you wouldn't hit your head on it.

I thought of imitating Kilted_John and his raft of big Volvos, but my relatively skinny corporation lacks his solid majesty. I don't have any floral skirts or spaghetti straps either.

Tom
Tom,

You've a big Volvo. Your V70 is about 3" shorter than my 245 and about 400-600 lbs heavier. Longer wheelbase, too (a 240 is around 104.3" and a 2007-16 V70 is around 110". Your car is more like a FWD 940 Turbo, essentially. Same size, but again, slightly longer wheelbase.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am impressed with the apple green skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

John,
I used to joke that you could land a 747 on the rear loading platform of one of your Volvos. :)

Mine is indeed FWD only with a puny 2 liter turbodiesel working through a 6 speed autobox. I think its 0 - 60 time is less than a minute!, but I'm no longer competing at the traffic lights Grand Prix. I note it has heated seats...a first for me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !