Article on Gucci fashion show

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Article on Gucci fashion show

Post by Freedomforall »

I don't like any of the styles in this fashion show. I also do not agree with the article. Why can people not stop equating clothing with gender?! It is utter nonsense and completely illogical.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/gucc ... shion-show
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Article on Gucci fashion show

Post by FranTastic444 »

LifeSiteNews - described on Wikipedia as "ultraconservative" and a "known purveyor of misleading information".
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

FranTastic444 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:26 pm LifeSiteNews - described on Wikipedia as "ultraconservative" and a "known purveyor of misleading information".
That explains a lot. I got a feeling of hostility just reading the article. I guess being ultra conservative means you have to be ultra hateful, intolerant, angry, and closed minded.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pmI guess being ultra conservative means you have to be ultra hateful, intolerant, angry, and closed minded.
It's also a misuse of the term "conservative"; the proper term in this instance would be "reactionary".

If one senses anger in an article then it should serve as a bit of a red flag indicating that there's something more going on with the writer than just the subject matter that's being written about.

As far as equating style choices with gender, much of that rhetoric is reactionary in nature and generally isn't found often "in the wild" where somebody spouting so could find himself in an argument which he'd probably lose. That's one of the nice things about "meat-space" -- the really obnoxious tend to find themselves getting punched out from time to time whereas the civil and approachable tend to find common ground and, occasionally, new friends.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:09 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pmI guess being ultra conservative means you have to be ultra hateful, intolerant, angry, and closed minded.
It's also a misuse of the term "conservative"; the proper term in this instance would be "reactionary".

If one senses anger in an article then it should serve as a bit of a red flag indicating that there's something more going on with the writer than just the subject matter that's being written about.

As far as equating style choices with gender, much of that rhetoric is reactionary in nature and generally isn't found often "in the wild" where somebody spouting so could find himself in an argument which he'd probably lose. That's one of the nice things about "meat-space" -- the really obnoxious tend to find themselves getting punched out from time to time whereas the civil and approachable tend to find common ground and, occasionally, new friends.
I definitely agree with you. I have worked for a number of bosses in my lifetime that I would consider tyrants. Some of them were very overbearing and filled with anger. The anger was often times a "shield" they used to keep people off balance and hide their dirty deeds. I saw it so many times and have spoken to others who noticed the same behavior from people in charge of them with lots of anger/control issues.

I just found a video of the author proclaiming he is a reformed gay man. I guess he has decided to spew forth much hatred now! That method of delivery never lends credibility to any message.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

OK we have concurred that the report is basically crap.
As for the styles, Gucci looks as if they took inspiration from Grayson Perry or his style advice anyway.
This is another example of the designer showcasing a concept that will only hit mainstream if the retailers if they sense a profit in it.
There is a likely market there but it will neve be in the high volume bracket
As for myself, at sixty years plus, that look would just be plain wrong on multiple levels.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Grown men emulating little girls? No thanks. I find that a bit disturbing. By all means extend ranges like these to boys of the same age if there is a market for them (which I doubt), but for grown men it smacks of being a fetish.

We don't need this.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 am ... I have worked for a number of bosses in my lifetime that I would consider tyrants. Some of them were very overbearing and filled with anger. The anger was often times a "shield" they used to keep people off balance and hide their dirty deeds. I saw it so many times and have spoken to others who noticed the same behavior from people in charge of them with lots of anger/control issues.
I had a boss who, confronted with a problem situation which he had created, threatened to lose his temper with me if I ever mentioned it again.  I quietly and politely sympathised with him that he had a problem with his temper, but said I would have still to discuss the situation with him until he solved it.   He walked away and didn't bother me for weeks afterwards.
I just found a video of the author proclaiming he is a reformed gay man.
A comment like that is enough to totally discredit him; he sounds like an ignorant self-publicist with a problem, who can't even be bothered to check a few facts.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have decided to ignore the article itself and comment only on Gucci. I support the principle of gender neutral clothing absolutely but their choice of clothing is disturbing as the dresses are styled for little girls. The owner of a local ladieswear boutique that I buy stuff from posted picture of the models in their questionable outfits and invited comments. I responded that the reason the models looked so miserable was that they would have preferred the much more elegant dresses men can buy in this boutique. I am not going to take this sort of thing too seriously - people like that writer have very little influence on the UK side of the Atlantic.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Again just commenting on Gucci and not the article; I think it would be equally weird if the stylist (sic) had dressed them up as little boys or even babies. There must be something really strange going on in his head.
Maybe next year he’ll decide to dress them as old people. As in Grandpa Simpson style.
:roll:
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Shilo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:42 pm Again just commenting on Gucci and not the article; I think it would be equally weird if the stylist (sic) had dressed them up as little boys or even babies. There must be something really strange going on in his head.
Maybe next year he’ll decide to dress them as old people. As in Grandpa Simpson style.
I just find it disturbing with all the news about Epstein and the fascination with young girls. It is bad timing and poor judgement at the very least on the part of Gucci.The biggest question I have is why would they choose this??
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The clothes, to me, are 'so-so'. I'ld leave most of them on the catwalk.
The models seem, to me, anorexic at best. Very sickly. When will the
'designers' get it into their heads that 90% of people are not toothpicks.

My reaction to many of the outfits was :puker:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pmIt is bad timing and poor judgement at the very least on the part of Gucci.The biggest question I have is why would they choose this??
Controversy sells; hence it's made liberal use of. That's a sad observation, but one that has held up over time.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

ImagePersonally, I might try the orange dress, without the torn jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:00 amPersonally, I might try the orange dress, without the torn jeans.
Of that lot, the only one I would even remotely consider would have been the green/purple rig (if it had a skirt instead of shorts) -- and then I'd not have worn children's shoes with crew-length socks.

Torn jeans should be consigned to the rag-bag or the bin. Full stop.