Bloody cars

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Bloody cars

Post by Tackleberry »

As some of you may remember a few months back I had an issue with my car, well last Wednesday the gearbox gave up the ghost and had to get recovered home (thank god for the RAC), the annoying thing is I had it booked for an MoT on the Friday and have new rear brakes fitted to it...
Luckily I had bought the OH a car a while back so I used that to get to work that night.
I now own a cheap £500 Nissan Almera (has a different name in America) that I bought off of the internet (thank god for Autotrader :lol: )
BFD2608D-0B83-4E1B-ABBA-6EF5CC81D1A2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bloody cars

Post by Rokje »

Cars can be a pain in the .......

:mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Rokje wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:14 am Cars can be a pain in the .......

:mrgreen:
Yeah :lol:
The trouble is I’m starting to like my cheap banger now :lol:
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've gone down the electric car route ... no gearbox, no clutch :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have had very little trouble with cars over the years, perhaps due to the fact I do all the servicing myself. (I hope it isn't a bad omen typing this).
Charlie wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:03 am I've gone down the electric car route ... no gearbox, no clutch :D
Charlie
Makes a lot of sense if you don't have to travel 400kms to do shopping.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Charlie wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:03 am I've gone down the electric car route ... no gearbox, no clutch :D
Charlie
We haven’t the infrastructure in my part of Somerset for it besides I can’t afford a new car...
I’ve driven a hybrid diesel/electric Enviro 400 double decker bus and by Christ did thing fly :shock:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A Transport of delight (Flanders & Swann).....
.....Along the Queen's great highway I drive my merry load
at twenty miles an houer....in the middle of the road
We like to drive in convoy, We're most gregrio-us

The big six wheeler scarlet painted diesel engined ninety-seven-horsepower London Transport omni-bus!

I'm a bullet-proof-Volvo person now.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 pm
I'm a bullet-proof-Volvo person now.

Tom
I did consider Volvo to replace the Audi with but having read the latest Which! article on cars it made me reconsider...
When I get the Audi fixed it’s definitely going to replaced with a Toyota Avensis as new as I can afford :wink:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I had three Audis in a row in the late 80s-mid 90s. I loved how well they were put together and the Bank-vault sound from their shutting doors. My last one was a left-hooker bought in Germany and equipped to use their autobahns to advantage...Petrol V6 twin-turbo 2.8 liter. A bloody dinasaur here, so I drove it back to Germany and flogged it to a coveting colleague.

Toyotas are very solid cars indeed but I hate the look of them. Just personal. In fact I find most newer Oriental offerings vastly overstyled and prefer the understatement of the better European makes.

Tom
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:33 pm I had three Audis in a row in the late 80s-mid 90s. I loved how well they were put together and the Bank-vault sound from their shutting doors. My last one was a left-hooker bought in Germany and equipped to use their autobahns to advantage...Petrol V6 twin-turbo 2.8 liter. A bloody dinasaur here, so I drove it back to Germany and flogged it to a coveting colleague.

Toyotas are very solid cars indeed but I hate the look of them. Just personal. In fact I find most newer Oriental offerings vastly overstyled and prefer the understatement of the better European makes.

Tom
Those Audi’s were proper Audi’s, fortunately reading about my type of Audi it’s the last of the Audi’s that was built solidly and when I say last mine is a 58 plate A4 B7 so a very late registration...
I’ve been won over to Japanese cars even though Nissan are built in Sunderland :wink:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You've no doubt heard about the aftermath of the explosion at the Japanese car plant.....

It was raining Datsun cogs !

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That was bad, Tom. I need to remember it!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Kirbstone,

That reminds me of something I heard back in the 80s when Datsun became Nissan......
Ashes to ashes, Datsun to Nissan won't stop the rust......

As far as cars go, I've owned a few, from my first car, a Hillman Hunter (with modified, balanced engine to about 7000 RPM, ported and polished intake, twin stromberg CD150 carburettors and Laycock overdrive fitted on the 4 speed manual gearbox, the thing would have no trouble doing 90 MPH!), Mitsubishi VR4 Galant - a rice rocket - 2L turbo, 5 speed manual, 4WD, 4 wheel steer (was stolen and chopped for parts by one of Auckland's boy racer gangs we believe as parts of it were found), a more sedate Mitsubishi Galant 2L V6 auto all in New Zealand) Holden Commodore VX 3.8L V6 and now a 2017 6 speed manual Toyota Corolla that is very economical on the motion lotion (in Australia).
Work ute is a Mitsubishi Triton 2019 that now has 60,000 km on it...Not mine, and I don't pay for the fuel...Not the most comfortable drive and not the most econimical either...

European cars here downunder tend to be more expen$ive especially when they break.....

I've never owned a Korean car (although I'm told the Kia Stinger goes like no tomorrow) or a Chinese car (they didn't do very well in the ANCAP crash testing) and I don't think I ever will.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Re Volvos - ours has been faultless in 30000 miles of driving. We love it. Not coal bunker black inside like most German cars. A delight to be in.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

75" Aussie,

That's quite a selection of motors you've had over the years. Bet that Hunter was a real wolf in sheep's clothing when you had finished all the mods. We all like to let off steam once in a while! The really fast cars I have driven all belonged to someone else. Just as well as they were ludicrously expensive as personal transport and the boredom factor kicks in early with them.

Quite recently I needed a bigger Volvo and had a good look at Pic 1. This turned out to have too many wheels, too many seats also and would have smashed lumps off my lovely cherry blossom trees on the drive. I eventually settled on a slimmer model V70 which has ticked all the boxes to date.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.