First outing in a while

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mercury

First outing in a while

Post by Mercury »

Two days ago I went out in a dress for the first time in several months. I wore a dress that I made. It's a long shirt dress. I really like 40s and 50s style dresses. This one had a turquoise and lime green floral print with shiny powder blue buttons.

I went to a movie theater with some friends. I was a little nervous going into the men's bathroom, but I got through it. I walked through an outdoor mall after it was over. A young woman complimented me as I walked by. That made me smile.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First outing in a while

Post by denimini »

Mercury wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 am This one had a turquoise and lime green floral print with shiny powder blue buttons.
It would be great to see a photo sometime.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

denimini wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 am
Mercury wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 am This one had a turquoise and lime green floral print with shiny powder blue buttons.
It would be great to see a photo sometime.
I'd like to post a photo, but it's kind of difficult on this forum.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Happy for you the woman complimented you! :)

About photos, I use https://snipboard.io/ which is much more easier than posting a photo on this forum (which I gave up)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I don't know what you are doing , but posting a photo is very easy to do.
1. Go to the bottom of the message page and click on attachment tab.
2. Select add files
3. This will take you to a page where you can select the picture you want to post. Just select the picture and hit enter.
4. You then get a page where you can add a comment and then post it on the forum.
As in this picture
-Addams_Family3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:50 pm I don't know what you are doing , but posting a photo is very easy to do.
1. Go to the bottom of the message page and click on attachment tab.
2. Select add files
3. This will take you to a page where you can select the picture you want to post. Just select the picture and hit enter.
4. You then get a page where you can add a comment and then post it on the forum.
As in this picture

-Addams_Family3.jpg
I don't see these options that you mention. It will only allow me to link to a photo on another site.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mercury wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 pmI don't see these options that you mention. It will only allow me to link to a photo on another site.
The "Attachments" tab is on the composition page, not on the regular reading page. Select "Reply to" or the "quote-mark" button to access the composition page.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

crfriend wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 pm
Mercury wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 pmI don't see these options that you mention. It will only allow me to link to a photo on another site.
The "Attachments" tab is on the composition page, not on the regular reading page. Select "Reply to" or the "quote-mark" button to access the composition page.
I tried that, but it says the file is too large.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mercury wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 pmI tried that, but it says the file is too large.
OK, good. That means we have progress.

The answer to the size problem is to use "paint", "The GiMP", or some other photo-editor to scale the image to a maximum of 800 pixels in any dimension, save it as another file-name, and then attach that image. Modern cameras produce gargantuan images that at most screen-sizes don't display gracefully and the files consume gobs of disk space. Reducing the size of the image files speeds up downloads for everybody and saves cost for disk storage.

There is a good tutorial in the Pics and Looks section which covers basic concepts and tactics.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I use "Office Publisher" to paste a pic onto a 'paper' size 4 X 6".
Then I 'save' the pic as a JPG file, to my computer and upload
that saved file into a post. Really quite simple to do.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Mercury wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:10 pm
I tried that, but it says the file is too large.
Mercury, I have total empathy with you. I tried to post some a while back, went through all kinds of contortions despite several chaps offering similar advise to what you are getting now, and still failed. I confess to not being the most techie chaps despite using these infernal devices since 1980 (populated my office with an Osborne to start things off -- so you know it has been a long while) -- but despite all of that and easily sending pictures on emails, this site has defeated me. It would be nice to share pics now and then but I threw in the proverbial towel -- if someone can make it work easily for you, let me know the final outcome and maybe I'll give it another shot too. Sad, it has to have so much gobbledygook.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Something to be aware of when posting photos is that digital images may include metadata identifying (via GPS, Galileo etc.) the exact location at which each picture was taken. If you don't want to disclose this, check the menus of your image editor to see whether it will let you delete or doctor the image's EXIF data. There's also a free Windows application called Metability QuickFix which can delete EXIF data very simply by drag-and-drop.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Spirou003 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:37 pm Happy for you the woman complimented you! :)

About photos, I use https://snipboard.io/ which is much more easier than posting a photo on this forum (which I gave up)
I agree totally, the need to shrink every image down to a pitifully small size puts me off posting photos, I know it can be done, I have done it, but it's a pain in the proverbial and mostly not worth the effort to down-size, squidge, squeeze and scrunch them up to make them fit. There are squidging scrunching programmes out there but nothing that makes things easy, or is there? If there is a free programme out there that can take a photo, be given a maximum file size, work out the correct squidge factor and then commit scrunch, I want to know about it! I really can't be ar**d figuring out how many pixels, then what quality, what colour depth, what star sign, what shoe size, what file format to use.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 pmI really can't be ar**d figuring out how many pixels, then what quality, what colour depth, what star sign, what shoe size, what file format to use.
JPEG, default colour-depth, 800 pixels in the long dimension. Cropping &c only needs doing if you're interested in recomposing the thing.

In GiMP, I can do all of the above in about 30 seconds. It is not hard, arduous, or tedious. But then I'm an old-school bloke with darkroom experience -- and who misses working with film. If one cares about his imagery, one takes his time and gets it right.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

I use XNView - https://www.xnview.com/en/ - for resizing images. Much lighter than The GIMP!
Martin