what styles do you guys recommend?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: what styles do you guys recommend?

Post by partlyscot »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:13 am Thrift stores and consignment shops will give you a greater range of choices than most stand alone retail stores; easy to try on for fit, and appearance; cheap besides -- nothing lost if it doesn't suit in the end; or several for a few bucks to experiment. The prior comments are spot on in my view; knee length or bit above; plain fabric, and "A" line (not so full as to be stand-out as "girly") and you'll walk the streets with nary a look as long as you 'own' it as your own standard wear -- not hiding or casting a thousand looks yourself! Have fun, and comfort.
Seconding this, quite often what you think may suit turns out to have some issues, and there are some physical considerations. Does the skirt knock things off the table? Can you sit in it easily? Do you get hung up on stuff? Being able to try different styles and features for little money is good, and thrift stores will give you the widest range of styles.

Don't forget when you go out in your skirt, be confident!
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

I will have to echo the Thrift Store idea. All but one of my skirts are from thrift stores. (In fact, most of my jeans and shorts are from thrift stores as well.) Now is a great time to shop in Thrift Stores. It seems that the CoronaVirus lock down here in the States allowed people time to clean out their closets :D

Concerning kilts, they can get pricey. Stillwaterkilts.com is a great place to find a decent tartan. I found a Black Watch light wool tartan two years ago for less than $100! For durability, you cannot beat a Utilikilt. I have two that are 14 years old and I still wear them regularly! Well worth the investment if you can swing it.
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I confirm that thrift stores have most of the time better choices than classic clothes stores, but sometimes there's a pity when you see a nice item but not of the good size.
Some additional two cents, if you are a bit shy to be seen when going to the fitting room to try your skirt(s), you can take some random clothes that you don't want to buy and keep them around the skirt(s) so that noone will know. But that doesn't work when there is an employee to check your articles. (I never had been confronted to that, because when I was looking for skirts I was always spotting fitting room before going further to avoid that. Maybe it's easier while already wearing a skirt, I didn't had occasion to try it yet)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I often wear a skirt when going to thrift shops, then they are not surprised that I am looking for skirts. One employee at a big thrift shop (Savers) offered to put mini skirts back that didn't fit me and we had a long chat about the problem of clothes sizing.
It is really just what you feel comfortable doing but whatever you do; do it with an air of confidence.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

My first skirt (2015) was a lucky find at a Goodwill store.
https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product. ... ge-content
Good for starters because it looks like any old pair of blue jeans.
Knee length, generous cut (not "pencil"), front zip, belt loops, serviceable, durable and comfortable.
The only thing it lacks is back pockets. I especially like the short trim-tabs (slits) on the sides, not
the back or the front.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Spirou003 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:00 am

I confirm that thrift stores have most of the time better choices than classic clothes stores, but sometimes there's a pity when you see a nice item but not of the good size.
Some additional two cents, if you are a bit shy to be seen when going to the fitting room to try your skirt(s), you can take some random clothes that you don't want to buy and keep them around the skirt(s) so that noone will know. But that doesn't work when there is an employee to check your articles. (I never had been confronted to that, because when I was looking for skirts I was always spotting fitting room before going further to avoid that. Maybe it's easier while already wearing a skirt, I didn't had occasion to try it yet)
I've shopped at Thrift stores both in skirts (most often) and in pants a few times before I was wearing skirts full time; and wearing a skirt just feels easier, more consistent or integrity? Anyway, for me -- even in the years before I wore skirts all the time, wearing a skirt while shopping for them went a lot more comfortably for me.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

While I don't disagree with what others have said about thrift stores, such as Goodwill, their problem is that they're not very good about keeping their clothes in the right size categories. You never know what condition they're in. You also don't know the vintage. On the other hand, that can be an advantage in finding something from an earlier era that appeals to you. I have also found some insanely great bargains. In larger cities, Goodwill has boutiques where the better items are sent at prices closer to resale prices than thrift stores. On the other hand, a silk, Pendleton dress in excellent/like new condition for $40-50 is still a screaming deal! And they will let you try things on. Most have unisex fitting rooms.

Off-price stores, such as Ross Dress for Less or TJ Maxx, are great places to find new, up-to-date, brand-name items at resale store, or less, prices. A large percentage of my oversized wardrobe came out of those stores. Partly because I figure anything for $10 or $20 that's at all appealing or different is worth the chance. Anything over $40 has got to really jump off the rack and tell me I can't live without it! As I said, I've taken a LOT of their merchandise off their hands.

Department stores are very discriminatory: the only color that interests them is GREEN (money). They've almost always got something on sale. Their associates will gladly help you find whatever you're looking for. And they'd rather you try it on in the store and get the size and look right than buy it and return it.

Lastly, there are resale and consignment sites online as well as the online sites of all of the major department stores. What you have to keep in mind is that, especially with the resale sites, you could easily pay double the shipping fee for the right to try on the item. Women's sizes changed a year or two ago so, for instance, what was a 14 in the old system is now a 12. Better yet, there is also the phenomenon known as vanity sizing, where the manufacturer purposely puts a lower size on the item so the buyer can fool themselves into thinking they're thinner than they really are.

Finally, there is the eccentricities of design. Maybe you've found a size in a label that fits you perfectly so you pick an item of that brand with a very different design to it and you can't even get into it! Blame it on the cut. This is more likely to be an issue with dresses and I know you only want to wear skirts for their practicality, but once you venture into a new neighborhood, you never know how far you'll go!

Good luck and have fun!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Yeah, I don't think Thrift would work for me on a couple of levels.

I've tried going into stores a few times, but I just don't feel comfortable buying that way. I beat myself up a bit about this, but then I remembered that I don't really shop in physical stores for guys clothing these days either :-) I would dearly love it if my wife would shop with me in person and although she's agreed to do this, I think she's also a little uncomfortable with the situation and on the couple of times we tried it, it never really worked out. Must try again some time when we are in a post COVID environment.....

I don't think I'd be comfortable with pre-loved clothes either, especially as clothing can be purchased from Amazon, Walmart and the like at pretty low price points (something like this, picked out at random). I never try anything in a store, so if I purchased from a Thrift store, I'd be stuck with anything that didn't fit. At least buying online it is easy to return stuff you don't want :-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Covalence
Welcome to the cafe.
You are now in a world of discovery with all the options to explore ahead of you. Some experiments may work and others not.
Make some of your own rules and take or ignore advice to suit yourself. Sometimes it is simply a matter of budget and creativity.
Above all enjoy and have a blast.
As far as thrift stores go, they can be a happy hunting ground for a skirted male. I found them cheap enough to use as my first experiments myself.
I only used the charity based ones and looked on returns as a donation back to a good cause.
Good luck
Steve.
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I have a couple of skirts where I did a jeans to skirt conversion. If you can sew a little it is a pretty easy project. Those are some of my favorites. You get a great fit, you have all your functional pockets and you can tailor the length and the a-line to your liking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here I put them right side up for you....
8FA27776-2FA0-4901-AD6D-F93B8C4B7FB1a.jpg
254F51D5-61EE-4A23-94CC-C3020A376567a.jpg
Makes it easier than trying to turn the computer on its side... :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

Thanks Fred! I was on my phone and couldn't figure out how to rotate them.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Hi Covalence,

I'll second the recommendation of denim, if you prefer pockets. I have one jeans-conversion skirt, and several more off-the-rack denim skirts, and they are the only ones that I would put anything in. As for my other skirts, I just think keys, handkerchief, billfold spoil the profile. I don't think bulging pockets do anything for dress pants, either, for that matter. I started carrying a purse about five years ago, when I had an allergic reaction and had to start carrying a couple of autoinjectors. I wish I had done a long time ago. Instead of emptying my pockets every night and filling them every morning, I grab the purse, and everything is there.
My preference is straight skirts, though some brands call straight skirts pencil skirts, as long as they have a vent or kick pleat, or some stretch, so walking isn't restricted. I also have some A-line skirts; I prefer softer materials that hang close to the body when standing, and move easily when walking.
There are indeed a very many variations; you want to break the choice into the different dimensions: what length? what profile (pencil/straight, A-line, full)? what material? solid or print/pattern? what color? Then have a go. Several people have mentioned thrift stores for purchases, but don't forget that if you buy a skirt, and then decide you don't care for how it looks on you, you can always donate it!
davidkilt

Post by davidkilt »

I bought my first utility kilt just over a year ago. Now I wear very little else around the house, and sometimes in public. I bought another a couple of month later in a thinner fabric as the first one was made from thick robust cotton twill overall fabric. The lighter one is much more comfortable and hangs much better. During lockdown I made my first kilt in polyester, ultra lightweight, and super soft. Its not as hard as you think if you have one to copy. OK I know it's not perfectly made but very acceptable at a very attractive price point. Made to measure is the way to go if your quite "handy". At the moment working on a pattern for my first "skirt" without a pleated rear, I'm not sure how fitted to make it. If it doesn't work out it's only the cost of the fabric, plus you can work out how to make the next one better. My next one will probably be a copy of this. https://hiatus-shop.com/en/2010-hiatus- ... black.html they are sadly out of business now. I think I will prefer a skirt with front pleats that drop between the knees when sitting, and a fitted rear as kilt pleats can be annoying. so find something you like and fits you, get your hands on a sewing machine and work from there. Woman have a very differently shaped body to men so they will never fit as intended.
Only dead fish go with the flow