Dresses marketed to both men and women

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
steamman

Dresses marketed to both men and women

Post by steamman »

www.vertigga.com

Some nice styles here and great to see they are sized Gender free. However, they are expensive. I’ll love it when H&M market dresses accordingly on the high street!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses marketed to both men and women

Post by Grok »

When I clicked on Dresses I saw some women in dresses....

...plus a token male model-wearing a dress over trousers.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I saw nothing there that I would wear even on a bet.
As well as the prices are crazy high.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I might consider some of the asymmetric styles (which I normally don’t like) but the price is way to high.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Sorry, but not even close to being of interest.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

there are some very alternative styled dresses - and a few more traditional asymetrical dresses. They're either very untailored and flowing - or like sheer and very leggy...

Personally only one or two dresses that I would wear - but for the price and styles I reckon I would do better shopping elsewhere.

However - that is the beauty of dresses/skirts etc.... the combinations and styles are so diverse there will be something for everyone's taste.

Why don't they make simple shift or sheath dresses in a unisex fashion - these styles would be easily made unisex? (up to a certain size anyway)

cheers
NZF
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Damn! Three hundred bucks?!?!

Not crazy about the styles either...

Why not just a simple dress...?

All this for under $30!
Screenshot_20200807-233359_Gallery_resize_81_compress66.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

how about a sheath dress like this one I am wearing?

I understand the stockings/shoes won't work for some - but the dress is a simple shape and I think works on any figure just about. You could have longer hemlines too - but in the same sort of silhouette.

And then fabric choices could be plentiful if they have a standard successful dress shape. Some designers repeat successful dresses over and over with new graphic prints, or metallics, or colour blocked styles - but all the same dress pattern underpinning it. The way to evolve it would be a small range of dress styles and build on the most successful.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

With one or two exceptions, I wouldn't wear those dresses if they paid me the asking prices to model them! You know as an "Influencer" or whatever!

NZ: You sir, are one of a kind.

Anyway, the dress in your photo looks more like a fit and flare than a sheath, but I agree with you, either style would look good on either sex. But because both fit & flares and sheaths are so fitted, sheaths especially, you'd still need men's and women's sizes for a proper fit, but the basic economics would still be there.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

NZ: that's the kind of look I like, you pull it off very well.

I have some dresses like this, but I think they need a kind of jacket like you have to make it work. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck in find suitable ones.

And to be honest, in the current heat the thought of wearing such a jacket makes me breakout in sweat. :)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Maybe something like a trapeze dress or a tent dress would work on a man.

I don't know, this is just off the top of my head.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I have always felt like I looked better in pencil skirts and straight line dresses. I think men look sharp in towels and aprons. Skirts and dresses that reproduce that look make me feel confident.
trdrl92

Post by trdrl92 »

For the price of one dress here I could buy every style of dress at Target. I like gender-free, but why must it be so expensive?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Which came first-the chicken or the egg?

Post by Grok »

There is the contrast between mass production, and short production runs. With mass production unit costs can be kept down, making a product affordable to many. This advantage is lost if only a few items are produced.

As an example, mass production explains why cars can be affordable for many people, not just the rich.

I believe this has been a problem for those trying to market skirts to men. For practical purposes, the Taboo would suppress effective demand for a skirt, and the advantage of mass production is lost. And therefore the skirt would have high unit cost, further suppressing demand.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The expeditious -- and obvious -- answer, then, is to cross the aisle where the advantages of mass-production make things less expensive. Done.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!