Swim skirts: Crossing a line?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
trdrl92

Swim skirts: Crossing a line?

Post by trdrl92 »

So we all wear skirts on land... but what do we wear in the water? There is a pretty nice selection of swim skirts and dresses online and in stores, but I’ve yet to actually own one. I love going to the beach, even in my boring old swim trunks. But it got me thinking, is this uncharted territory? A man in a skirt as his regular clothing is one thing, a man in what is essentially a bikini with a skirt wrapped around it is another thing. I’ve seen my fair share of men in skirts and dresses, but I don’t think I have ever seen a man in women’s swimwear in public. What are your opinions on this topic? I know that we promote positivity and to wear whatever we want without judgment, but why isn’t this talked about more? Or maybe it has and I haven’t dug deep enough? Let me know what you think.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Swim skirts: Crossing a line?

Post by phathack »

At this point in my life 75-80% of the clothing in my closet is in a "womens size" that includes swimsuits.
As a big guy I wear womens plus sizes, much of the clothing in these sizes tend to be more gender neutral than those in the smaller sizes. Obviously you cant wear clothing that is designed to accentuate body parts that I dont have so much of what's out there Is not acceptable in my opinion.
My swimwear choices are some cuts of One-piece and Tankinis with "Boy Shorts" I like tops that feature more coverage with a racerback design.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Eh, I will wear Speedo style swim briefs, while I've not really had any problems doing so, I could imagine in some places that might happen. Now, will wearing a swim skirt which will cover up any...lumps and bumps, be better or worse? For me, I think it would get a lot more attention than a Speedo. I have actually resorted to a regular bikini bottom when I couldn't purchase a Speedo style brief, as you can find ones that are reasonably conservative in appearance, and will pass quite successfully as a man's swim brief, and in that case, nobody seemed to pay any attention.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Seems to me back in the late 60's early 70's Speedo style swim briefs were the norm, or that was what I was always wearing then when I was in high school things changed.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

I like to work on my tan at the beach in "speedo" style men's bikinis (checkout www.skinzwear.com), but when walking to the beach or for my twice daily stroll down the beach I wear a "Running Kilt" (www.runningkilts.com) but it is really a skirt.

I have also gone swimming at the beach in a bikini and the Running Kilt when there are other folks around that might not "appreciate" my bikini. Some bikinis are not "modest".

The combination is also great when I go on hikes in Shenandoah National Park (Virginia) that include a swimming hole, no need to change into a swim suit, just take off my boots and jump in. And both dry off quickly as I finish the hike back to my car.

Ken
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

trdrl92 writes: a man in what is essentially a bikini with a skirt wrapped around it is another thing.
I'm not sure I understand the question or concern. Is it a style and appearance issue -- you want to wear a bikini with a frilly wrap that is "feminine" in orthodox views; or something else? My take on swimwear is it is nuts to intentionally wear cloth into the water, but given public decency laws seem to demand such most of the time, then as little as possible is the most comfortable, and baggy swim trunks are utterly absurd for efficacy in swimming.

I've worn "wraps" (see other posts) which are essentially just a skirt -- similar to the running kilt noted above over my swimwear for parking lot/hotel to the beach area, but remove same on the beach. If it is the idea of a frilly skirt attached to the underwear portion -- how is that issue any different than the skirts we often wear on the street? Own it, its your choice! Or join Jim!

pura vida
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 am My take on swimwear is it is nuts to intentionally wear cloth into the water, but given public decency laws seem to demand such most of the time, then as little as possible is the most comfortable, and baggy swim trunks are utterly absurd for efficacy in swimming.
Exactly. I wear a bikini bottom when I must wear something.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Well, we have already crossed the line (whoever drew it?).
I think that a swim skirt makes more sense for a male in the pursuit of modesty (no accusations of smuggling budgies). Not something to wear for competetive swimming though.
My first public outing in a mini skirt was at a beach, where I went for a swim wearing the skirt. It floated up and about underwater but soon fell back into place when I got out. I would wear a swimskirt because they are made of a material that dried out quickly which could be handy if driving soon after without changing. I prefer something that doesn't dry out quickly at home as it acts as evaporative cooling in hot weather.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

It wasn't until the 1930's or '40's that men went to the beaches topless. Until then they wore swimsuits very similar to modern women's one pieces.

Recently, I saw a halter top women's one-piece swimsuit with a longish ruffle around the bottom. On the mannequin it looked like an extremely short dress. It immediately occurred to me that, because everyone's used to me wearing skirts and dresses, it was just the thing for me to wear if I'm ever invited to a pool party. Here in Oregon not many people have their own swimming pools; generally it's too cold to swim outside and rarely gets hot enough that you can't wait to get into a pool.

But it could happen so I decided to be prepared rather than risk getting caught short.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I think it's better to find a beach where you don't have to wear anything at all. That way you avoid the unpleasant cling of sodden fabric amidships when you get out of the water.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

geron wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 am I think it's better to find a beach where you don't have to wear anything at all. That way you avoid the unpleasant cling of sodden fabric amidships when you get out of the water.
Absolutly! But these beaches are not nearby for many of us. We do have some fairly isolated areas in the nearby swimable creek. But one time when my wife and I were skinny-dipping a group of teenagers gathered on the opposite bank and stayed and watched us. We stayed in the water for a while, but they stayed also, so eventually we just got out of the water and put our clothes on, reasoning that if they stayed, they probably were not going to be offended!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I have all black swim skirt that hasn't been worn yet. I found it at a second hand shop.
I bought it and just have never had the opportunity to go to a lake or pool since I got it.

It is curious that I would probably pause to wear it poolside. When I was younger I used to own and wear a speedo. Even with all of the years of skirt wearing.
I would screech the brakes before wearing the swim skirt in public. Strange really, the skirt portion affords tons more coverage and modesty than a bikini or Speedo bottom. It still boggles my mind why a vertically hanging strip of fabric around the male torso is taboo. And why it still affects me after wearing skirts for decades. I can still find myself uncomfortable around others while in a Skirt or MUG variant.

I tried a one piece bathing suit on once. Decided that they irreparably don't fit right in all the right / wrong places. So I will stick with trunks and the swim bottom.

Several of you have nudist leanings.
I'm sorry, there are just things of yours or mine that I don't want to see. Nothing personal but that's too personal. :shock: Oh and the thought of sun burn....... :faint: :faint:
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 pm Several of you have nudist leanings.
I'm sorry, there are just things of yours or mine that I don't want to see. Nothing personal but that's too personal. :shock: Oh and the thought of sun burn....... :faint: :faint:
Aw come on what is so bad about the human body that offends you..:shock: :lol:
Many years ago I was a member of a nudist resort up in the Georgia mountains. (USA) We had people from all walks of life, all different body styles and shapes. Some thin as pencils others fat as whales but all human in nature. They were all accepting of each other without any prejudice.
We always knew when new comers showed up we called them cotton tails, due to the lack of a tan on their back sides, and we always took them aside to help them understand the power of the sun and that wearing clothing at times was to limit exposure to the harmful rays was OK and that they should do that. We only had one rule about clothing and that was nude only in the pool or the pond.
So don't let nudity bother you, Remember it is only nature in it's finest form. :flower: :bow:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

All because one garment is bifurcated and the other isn't. That's basically the only difference today, swim shorts vs swim skirt. Well technically it's more of a skort than a true skirt. And as someone else pointed out when you think of it in the 50 and 60's men wore the tight fitting swim briefs. There were no long board shorts till surfers started wearing them. And no tight fitting swim briefs for men are frowned upon. :shock:
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I always wore speedo style trunks or bikini bottoms until my wife began to object on the grounds I was the only male so attired and stood out ( pun intended). It never bothered me as I always endeavoured to keep my untanned areas to a minimum. They give you a feeling of freedom second only to complete nudity. I think swim skirts would feel almost as restrictive as swim shorts.
I don’t understand the taboo against speedos especially in the US. A friend of mine was invited to a pool party over there. When he turned up in speedos his girlfriend made him change into shorts, commenting that it wasn’t decent
:roll: