Postman or Mailman

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Postman or Mailman

Post by trainspotter48 »

For many years now, I have been coming to the conclusion that an American/British dictionary is required.

Cookies/Biscuits, Jam/Jelly, The different meanings of pants, Wardrobe/Closet etc.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

The original topic was one of regional linguistic differences in terminology. What do you call the guy who delivers letters. We just jumped to terms for other things...

The world would be such a boring place if every topic posted on an Internet forum remained strictly on-topic.

The phrase "hard" when applied to beverages was a new one on me when I moved to the US. Cider is not alcoholic, hard cider is.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FF444, I thought that cider was made from fermenting apples at least that's what nearly all definitions say. Fermentation means alcohol. I would term "hard cider" to indicate that the alcohol content would be higher than normal as is usually the case with scrumpy cider.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sinned wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am FF444, I thought that cider was made from fermenting apples at least that's what nearly all definitions say. Fermentation means alcohol. I would term "hard cider" to indicate that the alcohol content would be higher than normal as is usually the case with scrumpy cider.
In the US, cider is just unfiltered pressed apples. If it's filtered, it's "apple juice". It is usually pasteurized. For the grocery stores they also put in a preservative to prevent fermentation. Sometimes you can get cider without additives at a farmers' market, which then can be allowed to ferment by not refrigerating it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 am
Sinned wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am FF444, I thought that cider was made from fermenting apples at least that's what nearly all definitions say. Fermentation means alcohol. I would term "hard cider" to indicate that the alcohol content would be higher than normal as is usually the case with scrumpy cider.
In the US, cider is just unfiltered pressed apples. If it's filtered, it's "apple juice". It is usually pasteurized. For the grocery stores they also put in a preservative to prevent fermentation. Sometimes you can get cider without additives at a farmers' market, which then can be allowed to ferment by not refrigerating it.
I have done that and had great results too. I bought 5 gallons of cider from a local farm stand and let it sit for two months in the basement of an old house I once lived in. Then filtered it through bread to remove the solids and then let it sit for about another month before a second filter and then into bottles. I had a very tasty beverage to sip upon come winter. It was about 40 proof or 20 % alcohol. I recommend trying it for your self. :kiltdance: :hooray: :kiltdance: :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.