Postman or Mailman

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Postman or Mailman

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:17 pmGoing Postal is one of the Pratchett books that got televised, better on paper though.
Which actually has nothing to do with the tragic consequences seen in the USA during the 1990s from the phenomenon of the same name.
I am glad to say I know nothing of whatever it was that happened in the US in the nineties from that there phenomenon. Things happening in the States with tragic consequences seem to happen every day, whether it is a suicidal cult, a mass shooting, evangelical loonies, racially motivated, there's always something to create headlines. If there wasn't some mental headline or other coming from the US, I would start to worry!
So, no idea what you are referring to, it would need to be really extreme to stand out from the usual background noise!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pmSo, no idea what you are referring to, it would need to be really extreme to stand out from the usual background noise!
For the time it did, and the only good thing to come out of it was the early work on toxic workplaces and the first understandings of what would later become known as corporate psychopathy. It was a dark time for the land, and little had we a clue that it'd be a harbinger of the future. :(
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Where I am, it's generally the post office, but the mail man. Not sure why. More formally, they can be postal workers or mail carriers...

"Going postal" is definitely what PatJ describes. Had a friend growing up who's dad got very mad over that term, because he worked for the post office.

The more common linguistic identifier of where you are from within the US is what you call carbonated beverages. "Soda" vs. "Pop" vs. "Soda-pop". Also, some regions refer to all such drinks generically as "coke" (elsewhere short for Coca-Cola) no matter the manufacturer or flavor.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would call unnamed carbonated drinks "fizzy" or the catch-all "lemonade". If it's a particular flavour then it'd be "cherryade" or "limeade". "Coke" tends to refer to any of the cola brands.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 pm I would call unnamed carbonated drinks "fizzy" or the catch-all "lemonade". If it's a particular flavour then it'd be "cherryade" or "limeade". "Coke" tends to refer to any of the cola brands.
Those are new ones to me.

Now, would you refer to other flavors as coke, like Dr. Pepper or MTN Dew, or just Coca-Cola and other brands' versions, like Pepsi? I've heard people respond to "I'll have a coke," with "what kind?" Even funnier when they have to explain that they only have Pepsi products...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Dust wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 am
Sinned wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 pm I would call unnamed carbonated drinks "fizzy" or the catch-all "lemonade". If it's a particular flavour then it'd be "cherryade" or "limeade". "Coke" tends to refer to any of the cola brands.
Those are new ones to me.

Now, would you refer to other flavors as coke, like Dr. Pepper or MTN Dew, or just Coca-Cola and other brands' versions, like Pepsi? I've heard people respond to "I'll have a coke," with "what kind?" Even funnier when they have to explain that they only have Pepsi products...
Unnamed fizzy drinks, I use the catch-all term "pop". lemonade is lemonade, as in lemon flavoured and normally fizzy. When I say coke I mean coca-cola, pepsi is pepsi, not coke although I suppose I would call it a brand of Cola. I wouldn't buy Pepsi, and very rarely buy Coke, being large enough without copious sugar on top of my normal unhealthy diet!
When I was working from the office, once a week I would get a takeaway from my favourite local chip-shop, the lunchtime deal came with a free can of juice, I found a really good orangeade type drink called OMJ, that would be my one can of fizzy pop per week. I have to admit my absolute favourite is a certain brand of Ginger Beer, that is strong enough to sting my throat, Love it! Then I discovered that it is even higher in sugar than Coca Cola. (13 spoonfuls in Old Jamaica Fiery Ginger Beer 330 ml.) Now I will go months between treating myself to a bottle, hmmm, haven't had it since weeks before lockdown, maybe treat myself to a bottle next month!
Oh and by the way, my understanding is that ginger ale and ginger beer are two very different drinks.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am Unnamed fizzy drinks, I use the catch-all term "pop". lemonade is lemonade, as in lemon flavoured and normally fizzy.
Lemon Aid is made from lemons and the juice there of, sugar, and water (not fizzy water).
Fizzy lemon drinks are referred to as lemon sodas.
Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am
Oh and by the way, my understanding is that ginger ale and ginger beer are two very different drinks.
You've got that right!! :D :lol:

Now what does all of this have to do with postman or Mailman????
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am Unnamed fizzy drinks, I use the catch-all term "pop". lemonade is lemonade, as in lemon flavoured and normally fizzy.
Lemon Aid is made from lemons and the juice there of, sugar, and water (not fizzy water).
Fizzy lemon drinks are referred to as lemon sodas.
Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am
You've got that right!! :D :lol:

Now what does all of this have to do with postman or Mailman????
Fred, not in the UK, we don't call anything "soda", apart from soda water, which I think is just carbonated water. We have both still lemonade and fizzy lemonade. Most is very sweet and sort of lemony but with some that is fizzy and really has a citrus hit. I suppose if you made it yourself it would normally be still. I have never known anyone make it themselves, ginger beer on the other hand, I remember that being made when I was a child, I would try making it myself but I don't do these sugary drinks anymore.
What has it got to do with postmen or mailmen? no idea! Do I care? No idea, well, no. Off topic is off topic, how can thread drift be a problem when you are already off topic?

Anyway, a couple of days off, so I can spend them at home, skirted, looking out at the weather, instead of working from home, skirted, looking out at the weather! The difference? no works laptop to work on, so what am I doing? typing away on my PC! I have things, I must do some of them! as soon as I have had my first two mugs of uncarbonated coffee! and checked YouTube to make sure last nights upload is successful.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Every year in May MOH harvests elderflowers, boils 'em up with other lethal ingredients and bottles (in plastic) the resultant liquid. Although non-alcoholic, whatever is in there produces gas over the first week or two after bottling, so one opens the top at one's peril. An explosive cocktail and a very strong bitter taste.
We end up drinking it with meals for months on end to get rid of the stuff, but I have to regard it as mixer squash....about a third of a glass diluted and topped up with tonic water, which takes the bitterness out of it. Then it is perfectly ok & won't blow yer 'ead orff!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Be careful with those bottles Tom. A friend of mine, when I was first starting
in the employment field, used to make Dandelion Wine. Late one evening, she
thought she heard a Semi-Truck tire explode on the toll road. They lived near
the Indiana Toll Road. The next morning she went down, into her basement.
She found her cupboard, full of Dandelion Wine, was all broken. The Wine
exploded, blew the front off her cabinet. She had a mess to clean up, glass,
wood, metal hinges - everything on the front of the cabinet. All blown across
the floor.

She cleaned up everything and started making wine again. This time she was
more careful in her "recipe" ;) :flower:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right, Uncle Al. Fortunately MOH uses plastic bottles which are less lethal that 'molotov coctails', i.e. glass.

My attempt at a home-brew was with home-grown grapes in England about 40 years ago. Lots of bottles of very indifferent 'wine', pretty undrinkable. Real stuff is so cheap anyway, so why bother? Right now we have a large 'Victorian' greenhouse positively dripping with a forthcoming grape harvest. What to do..... :? :?:

Tom :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:32 am Be careful with those bottles Tom. A friend of mine, when I was first starting
in the employment field, used to make Dandelion Wine. Late one evening, she
thought she heard a Semi-Truck tire explode on the toll road. They lived near
the Indiana Toll Road. The next morning she went down, into her basement.
She found her cupboard, full of Dandelion Wine, was all broken. The Wine
exploded, blew the front off her cabinet. She had a mess to clean up, glass,
wood, metal hinges - everything on the front of the cabinet. All blown across
the floor.

She cleaned up everything and started making wine again. This time she was
more careful in her "recipe" ;) :flower:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
A good friend of mine used to make some very nice wine, he had an interesting experience with bramble wine, he had used champagne yeast to get it to ferment further. one evening 8 bottles all exploded. Messy! However the survivors were absolutely wonderful and slightly sparkling!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 am Fred, not in the UK, we don't call anything "soda", apart from soda water, which I think is just carbonated water. We have both still lemonade and fizzy lemonade. Most is very sweet and sort of lemony but with some that is fizzy and really has a citrus hit. I suppose if you made it yourself it would normally be still. I have never known anyone make it themselves, ginger beer on the other hand, I remember that being made when I was a child, I would try making it myself but I don't do these sugary drinks anymore.
Soda is a fairly universal term there in the US, referring to basically any non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. We don't really do fizzy lemonade, at least not that I've seen.

I friend of mine brewed his own ginger beer in college. I helped out, but probably couldn't do it again. A few bottles did overpressurize...

I love ginger beer, but only really drink it with some alcohol added. I don't normally drink much soda either, never have.
Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 am What has it got to do with postmen or mailmen? no idea! Do I care? No idea, well, no. Off topic is off topic, how can thread drift be a problem when you are already off topic?
The original topic was one of regional linguistic differences in terminology. What do you call the guy who delivers letters. We just jumped to terms for other things...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I note that you call the people who erect structural steelwork "ironworkers" while we call them "steelworkers" as they do erect steel, not iron. I appreciate it's probably a throwback to when it was cast iron that was used. Interesting that you didn't update the term, that's all.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

More language conundrums, or maybe just misunderstanding:
Why is a hamburger made out of beef? so, how are they different from beefburgers?

Is a pant a trouser and why do they only come in pairs? it's like women going to the lavatory/toilet/powder room/ whatever else they call it!

Bloomers, people used to wear them apparently, now it is a type of loaf, surely people didn't used to rely on bread for modesty?

I think I need more sleep!