Stay in school kids....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stay in school kids....

Post by pelmut »

We were allowed to use mechanical calculators for our final exams, but there weren't enough to go round.  The class was divided into two groups, one group was locked in a room and guarded while the others sat the exam; then the groups were changed over.

We did some computing using an analogue computer (100v = 1 machine unit) and there were rumours that the college had bought a digital computer, although we never discovered where it was hidden or who was allowed to use it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The US never had really interesting fractional coins, but the ones we have now are decent for doing mental math:

Penny - $0.01
Nickel - $0.05
Dime - $0.10
Quarter - $0.25
Half dollar - $0.50 - rare, not in common use
Dollar coins - $1.00 - unusual, but still used

Our paper money is closer to what Europeans have, with $1, $2 (rare), $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.

Anywho, the whole credit cards for everything is kind of like the metric system and calculators. I'm convinced that the metric system is why kids can't work fractions or do math anymore, and should be outlawed. (I say this having done thermodynamics with BTUs.) Not the whole reason obviously, but close enough. "There are two kinds of countries, those that use the metric system, and those who have put a man on the moon." I rest my case...
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Before decimalisation, British currency had similar colloquial names for coins.

A quarter of a penny = a farthing
Half a penny = ha'penny
Three pence coin = thrupence
Sixpence = tanner
Twelve pence = shilling (or "bob")
Two shillings = florin
Two shillings and sixpence = half crown
Five shillings = crown

One pound if made of gold = a sovereign
The sum of one pound and one shilling (21 shillings) = a guinea (this term is still used in some transactions)
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

It is my contention that decimalisation was the downfall of mental maths in UK
What could be easier?
12 pennies = 1 shilling
20 shillings = 1 pound
240 pennies = 1 pound
480 hapennies = 1 pound
Oh and 21 shillings = 1 guinea
All without the aid of a calculator
Simples!
:roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I saw a delightful cartoon/drawing in 'Punch' magazine some time ago depicting a frock-coated gentleman and his lady looking into a shop window and the caption read:
'You must bear in mind, Matilda that the guinea in now worth but nineteen and sixpence!'

Edwardian inflation for you.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

No doubt shown as 19/6 the same way £1 was sometimes shown as 20/- so as not to confuse those foreign Johnnies

Don’t get me started on weights and measures 😖
:roll:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Dust wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:48 am ... (I say this having done thermodynamics with BTUs.)
Depending on when you did the course, you might have been using metric units.  BTUs (Board of Trade Units) were the eqivalent of the metric kilowatt hour and BThUs (British Thermal Units) were the imperial unit of heat energy.  Then the BTU was re-named the kilowatt hour, so some idiot (that is the kindest description I can think of) decide to re-use the redundant 'BTU' to mean British Thermal Units -- thereby causing immense confusion ever after.

I still put the 'Th' in BThUs to avoid any possible confusion.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

pelmut wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Dust wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:48 am ... (I say this having done thermodynamics with BTUs.)
Depending on when you did the course, you might have been using metric units.  BTUs (Board of Trade Units) were the eqivalent of the metric kilowatt hour and BThUs (British Thermal Units) were the imperial unit of heat energy.  Then the BTU was re-named the kilowatt hour, so some idiot (that is the kindest description I can think of) decide to re-use the redundant 'BTU' to mean British Thermal Units -- thereby causing immense confusion ever after.

I still put the 'Th' in BThUs to avoid any possible confusion.
Hmm... Learn something every day. I was referring to British Thermal Units.

There simply aren't enough letter combinations for all the acronyms floating around...