Home improvement

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Home improvement

Post by moonshadow »

Okay, so I'm not really a tile guy, my domiciles have always had linoleum, and far be it for me to criticize someone else's work, but I suspect I may have found why all of my kitchen tiles are cracking all to pieces.

I've known they laid the tile right over old sheet flooring which I understand is a no no, but I might have made the same mistake, but who in their right mind would lay tile over damaged plywood??

The plywood seems solid for the most part, only the top few layers are damaged, I have inspected the subfloor in the basement and it is undamaged.

I'm debating on just plywood over the whole thing with perhaps some 3/8th" plywood and then laying new linoleum over the new plywood...

Jury is still out...
20200704_022507_resize_9_compress40.jpg
20200704_022513_resize_93_compress96.jpg
20200704_022532_resize_58_compress32.jpg
Old blue collar Appalachian houses...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Home improvement

Post by Shilo »

In reply to your post you can sheet over the old ply with marine grade 3/8 screwed at 12 inch centres. Then lay a non permeable sheet glued before laying tiles on top. Remember that grouting will not be water proof and can crack so the membrane will protect the ply.
Or you could just pot linoleum down. 🤪
:roll:
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I wouldn't use tiles at all. Instead, I would put a waterproof membrane down, and then use the specially-treated laminate wooden flooring that is suitable for kitchens. That seems to be what most Scandinavians have and it works well, it is easy to lay and looks great!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I had to repair the old composite tile floor in the kitchen of my old house where water had gotten under the tiles and damaged the ply under layment. I talked to a contractor friend of mine and he recommended taking up all of the tiles and replacing the plywood base that was damaged with marine grade 1/2 inch ply and then use a water proof mastic to put new tiles down. Use a small electric heater to soften the tiles very slightly to help them bond with the mastic. When all of the tiles are down use a heavy roller to roll the floor, this also helps the tiles to bond with the mastic.

Just my .02 worth and you know whats that's really worth!! :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I would add to this, if using grout between the tiles, apply a grout sealer.
This will help prevent water getting through to the wood below the tiles.

Wishing you the best in updating your flooring :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think the linoleum or Stu's suggestion of timber finish are the best options; not likely to crack, nicer to stand on and more forgiving if something is dropped.
Good project to keep your mind off "things".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

What an ever living pain in the ass that turned into!

It's about finished though. I plan to let the glue set for a few days before I move the refrigerator back into place.

All told, this was a success. Minor issues, such as after I applied the glue the whole rug shifted about 3/4", causing a small gap on one side. Thankfully I haven't installed the baseboard or baseboar shoe moulding, so concealing that little "oopsie" shouldn't be a problem.

More photos to follow. I wore a short black skirt and tank top for this as it was hot as blazes outside. Good thing I didn't wear a long one as now the lower hem of the skirt is stained with floor glue, but I have many skirts... it doesn't hurt to have a few "working skirts" in the drawer...

Yes... that is duct tape on my left shoe. The sole was coming off and I'm generally too frugal to throw them out, however I use them for old work shoes.

I went to Walmart this morning to purchase a Phillips bit for my drill... I wore this outfit, taped shoe and all. A few snickered, but I wasn't sure if it was the skirt or the tape... hey.. at least nobody can say I'm all hung up over vanity! :D

What can I say... I'm just a hillbilly at heart... :lol:
Screenshot_20200718-152622_Video Player_resize_80_compress20.jpg
Screenshot_20200718-152709_Video Player_resize_80_compress82.jpg
20200718_144823_resize_18_compress92.jpg
20200718_144808_resize_60_compress45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Looks good to me!! Both the floor and the outfit. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Looks like a good job to me, also. I, too, have some shoes like that. But when it's hot, I'm barechested; I'll put on a shirt and mask to go into a store.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Jim wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:21 pm But when it's hot, I'm barechested;
I sure better not do that when I mow the yard - I would get some strange looks as I have DD cup size chest mounds. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

John
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

JohnH wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm
Jim wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:21 pm But when it's hot, I'm barechested;
I sure better not do that when I mow the yard - I would get some strange looks as I have DD cup size chest mounds. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

John
Us guys in skirts getr stange looks anyway. Go for comfort.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Offhand, Moon, I'd say that that job was a pretty good one. Bravo!

Don't worry about the occasional snicker; those happen all the time. I got approached by an induhvidual this afternoon in the parking-lot of my computer history place who was convinced that I was homosexual and who patted me on the arse -- in violation of all the distancing rules and who got rebuked by a slightly snarky comment of, "... but I'm not 'gay'." In point of fact I was a bit put out.

This evening, after returning to my own locale, I was sat outdoors at my local as is my usual modern wont, busy studying a book I hadn't picked up in 20 years ("RH-10 Logic Prints" and "RP05/06 DCL Interface Manual"), and had a preacher start in on me a little bit. Having skin the thickness of a rhinoceros', this didn't bother me in the least, but one of the waitresses who I banter with continually apologised to me as did the proprietor. Apparently the preacher took offence at my blue minidress, fishnet knee-highs, and heels. I actually wasn't put out by that one whit considering what had happened earlier, but thanked both staff members. I do love my local.

To the "Faithful": My soul is quite safe, thank-you-very-much. I look after it well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Cool story Carl,

You know, as much as I rant about the religious nature of my region, you may be surprised to note that I don't think I've ever been hassled in a religious context.

I'm not saying that I never get a snare or snarky giggle from afar, but nobody's ever "beat me over the head" with a bible.

In fact, here lately I've noticed it seems strangers have a generally kind vibe about them. I'm guessing that with everything going on this year, people have enough to worry about, and are fine to give me a pass...
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Anyway, there is still A LOT of work to do in this kitchen. I still need to finish installing the 4' panels and chair rail trim, baseboards, and other trim moulding. The counter needs replacement, we plan to replace the sink, new shelving needs to be built. I'll be tinkering with this room for many paydays to come, like the Johnny Cash song... "we got it one piece at a time"... But it did cost money though.... :wink:

Behind the refrigerator, the wallboard is in very poor condition, tomorrow I plan to overlay new drywall over the old.
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That floor came up well.

It is a good time to catch up with maintenance tasks.
I have to plan ahead because of the lag time of getting any necessary tools or materials because of the distance from nearest suppliers. When my house was built it took weeks or months to get things here by paddlesteamer, now it only takes a week or two by truck. Today I broke my only long series 6mm masonry drill; straight online to order 3 more (why would I only have one in stock?) and then move onto another job until I get the items needed.
Those who can duck down to the nearest ironmongers can consider themselves lucky.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia