How old were you . . . . ?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How old were you . . . . ?

Post by Sinned »

Anthony, I wear the shorts with ankle socks and she doesn't like the look. The shorts are either the ones that look like trousers only cut above the knee or like sports shorts, football shorts, athletic shorts. There's method in my madness.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dan2see

Post by dan2see »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:45 am Put on my first skirt at 70 took about 6 months before first trip out
Now I am 74 wear skirts 50 % of the time and dresses 20%
I'm pretty-much in line with oldsalt here.
Now when I go out, I choose either skirt, shorts, or even pants, depending on what I want to wear that day.
Last edited by dan2see on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan2see

Post by dan2see »

howardfh wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 pm About 11/12 maybe 13. The girls at school wore short gym skirts...
I see in your picture, you are wearing a school-girls pleated mini.
I have a couple of those, and I really like wearing them. I think they are cute.
trdrl92

Post by trdrl92 »

I had always been curious about them. It wasn’t until I was about 19 that I put on a skirt for the first time. I was in Orlando, FL on a Disney vacation with my family. I forgot what store we were in, but I went to the fitting room to try on some shorts. Inside the fitting room was a small pile of clothes that someone decided not to buy and left behind, and right on the top was a miniskirt, light blue, tiered, with “Orlando” written on the bottom ruffle. Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I took my pants off and pulled that skirt on, and I loved it. I don’t even think I tried on what I was going to buy originally, I took that skirt and went straight to the register and bought it for myself. My family never found out because I kept it in the plastic bag it came in and I tucked it away in the corner of my suitcase. Whenever I had a moment of privacy in the hotel, like if everyone else left to go get dinner and I stayed behind, I would put the skirt on and go get some snacks from the vending machine down the hall, or step out onto the balcony and look down at everyone in the pool while nobody noticed me. It was a fun miniskirt to wear. It’s long gone now, not sure where I could have put it, but I always wanted to find another one just like it. I’ve been back to Florida plenty of times since then, and I could never find the store I got it from, or a skirt similar to it. I was supposed to go in April, but I had to cancel that trip because of the pandemic, and it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to reschedule it anytime soon. I’ll find you, little blue miniskirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

trdrl92 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:41 pm SNIP
Satisfy your curiosity - shop - EBAY - load of skirts and the alike to please
AND the privacy of ordering without family or otherwise interference - - - !

Just remember to get the figures facts - I mean measurements right - No Guessing !

Hope you are having an enlightening time here at SC -
"Skirts 'R' us !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:13 pm Anthony, I wear the shorts with ankle socks and she doesn't like the look. The shorts are either the ones that look like trousers only cut above the knee or like sports shorts, football shorts, athletic shorts. There's method in my madness.
If it's the ankle socks that antagonize her to your skirts, have you tried other types of sock? When socks are required I generally wear either long travel socks, which you can buy cheaply on AliExpress (at my age, the compression is helpful, and they don't fall down), or no-show socks -- I like the five-finger kind, which are tricky to put on but very comfortable for long walks in trainer-type shoes. My wife seems happy with either type.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I use the ankle socks to antagonise her with my shorts not the skirts. With skirts I wear completely different items on my feet. Things that go well with skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I can't remember if I've written this elsewhere.

I vaguely remember being interested in the girls' summer dresses whilst in primary school. and did once in my teens try on a dress of my mother's. Occasionally I would see a girl wearing something "interesting", and later I would see a female friend in a skirt that almost looked "manly", but it never went any further.

In the winter of 1997/8, we did a special event at church for National Marriage Week. As we were in Scotland, I borrowed a kilt and loved it. I'm pretty sure it was a full 16oz, 8 yard hand sewn kilt in Hunting Fraser tartan (browns and greens with heathery bits, I think). I love it, and with hose and leather jacket was snug at -3C.

Also, in the church was a lady who dressed well. I remember thinking that I would like to wear outfits she had: an ankle length denim skirt with gold knitted sleeveless top and sandals, and a black velvet mini with turtle neck jumper, sparkly black tights and ankle boots. Over the next few years, I saw more and more skirts that I thought I could wear, but it wasn't until about 2004 that I actually bought a skirt. We had been out for the day with friends at Chartwell, former home of Winston Churchill. The day had been warm, and I think I was wearing jeans. But the wife of the couple had on a gingham wrap skirt, which looked very cool and comfortable - and she managed to wander around all the garden paths, including some wooded areas, with no trouble.

Back home, I went on eBay and found a denim wrap skirt, which I ordered. My wife was a bit shocked when it arrived, but I got away with wearing it in the house and garden (though I think she was uncomfortable). I enjoyed it so much, I ordered a straight denim midi from eBay. For about 5 years I wore these at home some evenings and found them very relaxing. I'm not sure why, but I eventually put them out.

Some years later, my wife was going away on a course. Having dropped her at the airport, I had an urge to buy a skirt. I stopped at the nearest shopping centre, but the choices were not great. I ended up with a faux leather skater skirt, which I wore to drive home. Every morning that week, I got up early, left the house with skirt under joggers, then found a secluded spot to debag. Walking around the town walls in a short skirt was very liberating. I confessed to my wife about it on her return, and she was shocked. However, I wore it at home frequently. Another time she was away, I travelled down to meet her in the skirt, but switched when I came to the college, because people would know us. We then went to visit her family, and after driving a short distance, I pulled into a layby and removed my trousers to reveal the skirt. She was not happy, so at each stop I had to reverse the process before entering the services.

The skirt was occasionally a source of tension until one day I decided to get rid of it. However, the urge did not go away. I think there is an element of comfort to doing something that is very personal, such as a deliberate fashion choice. One time when I had to travel to family for a rather difficult encounter, I had the same urge. I stopped off and bought a blue suede mini from Next Outlet. Whilst staying with family, I bid through the night on eBay for a long A-line brown leather skirt (also Next), and on the way back stopped at a charity shop and bought an ankle length M&S denim skirt. The first and third we were openly in public during the journeys.

Although tensions ensued, I bought a few other skirts over the next couple of years and began to feel very comfortable in them (though I didn't wear all of them at home). As documented elsewhere, I ditched them all following a particularly heated discussion - a course of action I deeply regret. I now only have a plain black Tartanista value kilt and a charcoal denim cargo kilt from Union Kilts. I just about get away with this, but occasionally am requested not to wear one whilst out with MOH when she wears trousers.

Needless to say, no one else is bothered!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I was about 6, I think. My grandmother was talking about something she had been told or perhaps even seen, a family she knew about and where the son had to wear girls’ clothes for a period of time when he didn’t behave.
Everyone present found it completely out of place, but would soon after go on with other topics. I found it cruel, too and was happy, it was not me. Or was I?

The boy and that special kind of punishment was only mentioned that one day and I never later asked about him. Not until about 50 years later I learned that it had a name. But these, probably less than five minutes, had done something inside me and I started to fantasy about it.
How old was he, my age or older? How did he feel like when ordered to dress like a girl? Did he beg to be free or did he simply comply? For how long? A day? Wasn’t “a period of time” more than one day? It probably was. A week? How should he feel like, every day after school having to change into girls’ clothes? A summer, could it be a whole long summer? And was he even made to wear girls’ clothes to school, too?
And I projected it to myself. How should I feel, if punished that way? If I had to wear a dress or a skirt? How should I feel when having to visit family in a dress? To be seen by cousins and friends and school mates? Did the boy have to curtsy? Must I?

I never as a boy wore girls’ clothes, neither I was threatened to, but I had these fantasies for a long period of time, and they never totally left me.

Later there were other stimuli. Once I saw Scottish scouts in kilts and I envied them. It might have been in the late 60ties. And in 1977 an older colleague once asked if someone knew if kilts were to buy in London? His wife did not want to see him in shorts; now he wanted a kilt – as kind of revenge, I suppose. And in the mid 80ties I even saw a man in the street in a black mini skirt, everything else strictly manly. Some looked at him, most people did not seem to recognize; or they did not care. Had it been me…

In 1996 in Edinburgh I tried on a kilt in a kilt shop and realized how comfortable a garment it was. Later, having got access to the new internet I found out that I was not alone. I bought a kilt. And in 2000 I on a holiday bought my first skirt – or rather skirts, because I bought three at a time and left the store wearing one of them.

Did I try to look femme? Definitely not. If I, back in the fifties, had been put into girl’s clothes, it had been for punishment, and I would have been a petticoated boy and not a girl. Now as grown up I appreciate the comfort, the look, the difference, and the difference it makes, wearing a kilt or a skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I had just turned 49 and went to my local Highland Games during Labor Day weekend and had a great time. I walked by the Utilikilt booth and thought, "wow... these look cool" and ended up buying one. A few months after that I went to a thrift store, tried on some skirts, and was hooked! Never looked back. Now, at 67, I play 'mix-and-match' with skirts, kilts, hose, tights, shorts, long pants, t- shirts, just about anything as long as I feel comfortable with it and, in my opinion, looks good...

--Rick
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted Musician wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:51 pmNow, at 67, I play 'mix-and-match' with skirts, kilts, hose, tights, shorts, long pants, t- shirts, just about anything as long as I feel comfortable with it and, in my opinion, looks good...
And all that can be said about that is bravo!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!