Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Faldaguy »

Yep, standard response -- little or nothing with an occasional compliment from the women. Don't let your 'demons' or fears hold you back. Tally ho
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Hiddenheels,
You are certainly not alone in experiencing the early trepidation.
Personally, I have great doubts about anyone blithely stating that they never experienced any doubts or misgivings.
Well done and in time I am sure that you will be able to enjoy the skirted outings even more.
BTW, I don't think the thumbs up is a standard response, most folks don't notice or don't care.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

hiddenheels wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:13 pm All of a sudden I hear an almost yell, she was LOUD... right beside me, a lady, going the other way, says "Wow, I *love* the skirt!". It took me a second to process what's going on, that she's talking about me (it's my fourth time out in a skirt - still not routine). I look at her, and she's all grins and thumbs-up. I couldn't do anything but grin at her, but before I could actually say something the moment was over, and she was already gone. It made my day for sure.
A rare response from my experience ........... but a nice one, usually no-one notices, comments or cares. I think you are over the biggest hurdle in wearing a skirt in public.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Denimini said:
A rare response from my experience ........... but a nice one, usually no-one notices, comments or cares. I think you are over the biggest hurdle in wearing a skirt in public.
BTW, I don't think the thumbs up is a standard response, most folks don't notice or don't care.
Steve.
Thank you for clarifying my careless reference, it was hiddenheals last line, below, not the "thumbs up" I meant to imply was the standard response: "nothing happened", whereas the thumbs up or positive comments do occasionally come from the ladies. I've rarely had a positive comment from men, but even that has happened, but usually only on the shirt not the skirt!
After that, nothing uneventful happened. Got to a bench, ate, read, watched nature, tried to relax. Lots of people about, nothing happened. After an hour, walked back to the car and went home.
Go forth, enjoy a lot more 'nothing'!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was out and about today and went to several stores and a gas station. I also walked a fair distance from a parking lot to the store entrance and interacted with clerks and cashiers. No one noticed at all. I am at a point where I don't worry about what anyone thinks.

I was wearing a Columbia hiking skirt in a sort of chocolate color about an inch above my knees. It is very light weight and stretch fabric and has pockets and an elastic waist.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Yesterday I went to the doctors office, got gas, went into Sam's and all I got were smiles.
I was wearing a chambray blouse and a denim skirt that was about an inch above the knees.
Not one comment about the skirt at all.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Lockdown stroll last night and encountered a pubescent gang of four. Burgeoning romance and good luck to them too. Some rules are meant to be bent, others just snapped in two. I heard giggles as only girls of that age can achieve and the subject of the merriment was obvious.
It was my shoes, plain black with white laces which one of the boys actually commented on.
The fact that I was wearing a very unstealthy dress went unremarked.
Hope may arise from the strangest of sources.
However, they spoilt it by referring to me as an "auld mannie". Which I guess I am, to such as them anyway.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've often said recently that when the Beatles brought out their song it seemed a hell of a long way away. Now I've passed that milestone and it now just seems nostalgic.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

It's me the novice veteran.
Novice to going out and about skirted.
Veteran to wearing skirts some 20 plus years.

With the covid thing, most places recommend that you wear a mask into the the establishment.

It's actually a good time to test the skirt wear if you have crippling apprehensions like me. I put on my dark blue denim skort. That looks like a pair of shorts from behind. From the front and sides, it has a "no hiding it's a skirt" a line skirt profile. It stands out well away from the legs because the denim is so thick.

Getting out of the car and walking into the store I still have anxiety.
Only one girl 20 something might have noticed? She seemed to look at me with a lost in thought look in her eyes.
In a way I would be mortified at the same time. yet I want someone to notice and say something positive to me. it might boost my confidence.
With the masks all you got to go by is the eyes, double takes.

I am going to to the hardware store in the same rig later this week. Will let you know what happens.

Because I am not ready to draw a line in the sand, and declare to the whole known world " I am a man, and I prefer to wear skirts. If you don't like it you can stick it in your ear."

My biggest concern is I will run into someone I know.

Or if sales clerks start to recognize me as that skirt guy. I'm afraid sometime when I am out with my wife or a associate. I will get the comment. "What no skirt"
Maby I am a coward for not doing my own thing all the time. It's the compromise i guess I will live with at this current time.

As far as the general public, I think they don't care, or don't care enough to get involved with positive or negative comments.

I know people appear oblivious, and disconnected. But think more people notice than we give credit. Think about how many times you say something to your spouse or associates well after the fact? I know me and my wife have been guilty of Did you see that, Back there? Short discussion followed by What's the word coming to? And move on.

Wish me luck on my next skirted venture.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You're not a coward. You are concerned and your confidence isn't strengthened yet by experience. You are also nervous about YOH finding out [0]. Self-preservation is necessary. Sometimes we have a lot to lose. Take it easy and at your own pace and you'll get there.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Mishakawa,

For what it's worth, every single one of us have had the exact same fears you have and look where some of us are!

I've been very fortunate that I've had strong support from my church family. You read that right, CHURCH.

But I'll tell you, I was so paralyzed by fear the first time I went to church in a dress, that even though I had talked to my pastor beforehand and she was in support, I almost didn't do it. It didn't help that the parking lot was full of pickup trucks and guys in flannel shirts talking about God knew what, weird guys who wore dresses maybe? I literally took 2 deep breathes and was starting to suck in my third when I thought, "Stop! Taking a 3rd deep breath isn't going to changed a damned thing! Now get out of this car and go up those stairs (to the entrance). And what happens, happens."

And with that, I swung around in my seat, hopped down to the ground (I was driving an SUV) and marched into church.

I was literally embraced by the congregation and that gave me the confidence to go about the rest of my life in a dress.

You have a virtual support group in the SkirtCafe. Try to find or create a real one and it will make all of the difference in the world!

Trust me, I'm not Superman or even Batman or Capt. America. If I can do it, so can you.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Went out yesterday with my wife for a longish walk, to try out my new, black Purple Rain adventure skirt. And my conclusion is that it's the lightest, coolest and most comfortable thing ever for a hot day out (temperatures were pushing 30° hereabouts). What surprised me was that nobody at all seemed to register it, over 25 km there and back. But that could have been because I was also wearing a day-glow yellow activity shirt, which was dazzlingly bright in the sunshine. Distraction coloration can be one way to avoid being noticed.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

An update to my Wednesday June 24 2020 post.
Friday June 26th I did go to the big box hardware store to save 11% on my purchase.
This outing, I decided to wear my olive green utility kilt and brotherhood of the kilt t shirt.

It's odd I actually felt more apprehensive about going in the kilt than the denim half skort two days earlier.
I sat in the car for about 20 minutes before getting up enough nerve to go in. Finally I got out and figuratively marched in. I spent about 35 minutes in the store. Leaving 10 minutes before they closed.
I was able to find everything I needed, I found myself a little absent minded and having to back track within the store, I credit that to the anxiety of being in the kilt.

I could detect looks as I walked by a few people, but nothing awkwardly long. No comments, or questions etc. From anyone in the store. And some I am sure didn't even notice me at all. It rather felt like business as usual, except for my nervous jitters.

Just a man in a kilt, pushing a noisy flat bed cart with 12 foot boards on it. I even returned the empty cart to the front of the store after unloading it, rather than abandoning it in the parking lot.

I don't think the nervousness will ever subside. Always a chance I will run into some one I know, I had a very close call last year while skorted at the time. Or my first encounter with a bone headed bozo of some kind.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here all reopened gardening & DIY outlets hand you an 'obligatory' sanitized cart on entry. Curiously I find pushing the thing round comforting and one can almost hide behind it if one needs.

My dark blue golf skort is the garb of choice for such outings. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice. To them it's just shorts, which most people are wearing anyway.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:36 am I could detect looks as I walked by a few people, but nothing awkwardly long. No comments, or questions etc. From anyone in the store. And some I am sure didn't even notice me at all. It rather felt like business as usual, except for my nervous jitters.
Sounds familiar, though I find with simpler skirts, less people notice when it is less obviously a kilt, or kilt like.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:36 am don't think the nervousness will ever subside.
I found that it does fade, though I still sometimes get a little spike of anxiety, but it's very rare these days. It's when you do have those little scares, but they don't result in a problem, that the fear starts to fade. One of the worst for me was walking past a group of labourers doing landscaping, I had just got past without notice, or at least comment, when the other half of the group who were just coming back from lunch, parked and starting walking towards me. I tensed, but 4 of 5 just didn't see it, the last one, startled, said " Is that a dress?" I replied "it's a skirt" he repeated, "is that a dress?" then added "is it comfortable?" by now I was about 10 foot past, I turned for a second and said "it's a skirt, and yes, it's very comfortable"

I left him open mouthed, and I think, very envious. It was a blistering hot day for around here, and all of them were sweating in jeans or cut offs.

Occasions like that I can count on one hand, and so far, none of them have resulted in anything I could call worrying. Indeed, most ended up with positive comments.