Happy Juneteenth!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Happy Juneteenth!

Post by moonshadow »

From Wikipedia:

Juneteenth (a portmanteau of June and nineteenth;[2] also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, and Liberation Day) is an unofficial American holiday and an official Texas state holiday, celebrated annually on the 19th of June in the United States to commemorate Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in the city of Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were now free.

So yeah... FREEDOM always calls for a celebration!

:cheers:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Happy Juneteenth!

Post by Sinned »

Seems a worthy commemoration but it seems to imply that not many peoples have heard about it. It seems to be a semi-official holiday as not all states recognise it. How many others of you in America have heard about it? I haven't but then I'm not American.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I had heard about it, but could never keep straight which day in June that it was.

To show you how far off my radar Juneteenth is, the day has been celebrated here in Portland, OR since 1975. I didn't know that until I saw that this year's celebration was honoring the woman, who is now dead, who had been the driving force behind having a Juneteenth celebration here in the Rose City!

In at least one article I saw on Juneteenth, the author called the day our 2nd Independence Day. That made me remember that in his Gettysburg Address, Abraham Lincoln called for "a new rebirth of freedom." What he was referring to was the abolition of slavery in the US and full acceptance of African-Americans as free, equal and fellow citizens.

Talk about a work in progress taking an agonizingly long period of time.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I literally heard about it just a few days prior to the day itself... too bad too as I would have totally put up some yard signs... oh well... always next year.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Funnily enough the Juneteenth came up in an article about Trump's failed rally in Tulsa. I don't think he was aware of it either, but then he wouldn't would he?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Had never heard of it until this year. Lifelong American, but it's simply not celebrated by most, at least not near me. I doubt it ever was, outside a few isolated pockets, until they started making a big deal of it this year. It's a good thing to celebrate, just never was a thing...