It's all about "sex"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:04 pm still wonder if the Dutch got their $60 back they payed the locals to buy Manhattan. With compounded interest it will be a nice amount now.
Man I didn't know that... so much history to learn, if only we could learn it all... life is just too damned short!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pmMan I didn't know that... so much history to learn, if only we could learn it all... life is just too damned short!
What are they teaching for history nowadays? I was aware of that fact(oid) when I was in grammar school...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Google Nieuw Amsterdam or New Netherlands and your curiosity will be served.

https://www.thoughtco.com/new-york-colony-103878

The Dutch occupied most of New Jersey and parts of New York and Maryland. You will find this in the names of cities and other geographical things.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:22 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pmMan I didn't know that... so much history to learn, if only we could learn it all... life is just too damned short!
What are they teaching for history nowadays? I was aware of that fact(oid) when I was in grammar school...
In all fairness, it may have been covered... it's possible I just forgot, or wasn't paying attention that day.

As for what's being taught in history these days I couldn't tell you, I've been out of the public school system for twenty years now. :wink:

Even so, it would be impossible to learn every nugget of history even over the course of an entire school span, from K through college.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

From memory (and mine is not entirely reliable anymore) I think it was Ray who asked someone to explain the cult of politics here; and Moon added notes about the culture there that precluded any negative comment on Trump without risk of being attacked; and Dan has bemoaned the decline in respect of the office/flag of the country.

My pre-dispositions have inclined me to think that the current crop of Republican voters (this has changed since Ike’s days) is that the Red party is composed mostly of those with less education; less money; and more inequality – so I set out to do some basic research to affirm or deny these assumptions. I only looked at data for States as a whole, and each of course has some factors causing the data to shift from the expected, but in general, indeed the current set of Red States suffer a much lower average educational level; lower income; and more inequality than the Blue States.

Though I looked at High school, Bachelor’s, and Advanced Degree numbers, I took Bachelor’s as being perhaps the more balanced for an overall picture – and it was dramatic: An average of highest and lowest percent of population achieving a Bachelor’s degree by state rankings showed Blue States to rank at 12.5 (lower being more folks have achieved said degree) and the Red States ranked at 35.5. Back in the 60’s the corporate world got behind an intentional “Dumbing of Education” to train a better work force – i.e. focused on productivity rather than exploring ideas or thinking for oneself.

There are anomalies in the per capita income as well, but not surprisingly by far the lower incomes are aligned with the States that have the lower educational achievements. And to exacerbate that, these States are also the ones with the greater income inequality. Not researched, but I’d guess those state also sell a higher per capita number of lottery tickets as desperation and less statistical awareness drives a belief in miracles and easy fantasy solutions – like a “Wall” that Mexico will pay for to protect them from crime, drugs, job snatchers, and welfare cheats.

With the increasing power of Corporate dollars in politics, we can only expect the lure of Trumpian ‘red meat lies’ to appeal to an increasing number of desperate folk as they analyze more from an emotional level of desperation than from intellectual deliberation. This is not a ‘put-down’ of these voters; but of the system that has generated these inequalities. There are also a large number of Republican voters (along with wealthy Democrats) that tend to support many of the policies that are ‘bottom line’ oriented, seeming to believe that anything that creates more profit is ‘good’ and all will benefit. This is an entirely different socio-economic aspect of politics here (and most other nations too) that, in my view, strains the hopes of finding a healthy, peaceful world.

Hardly scholarly Ray, but one guys views on a bit of why things are as they are here.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:52 amHardly scholarly Ray, but one guys views on a bit of why things are as they are here.
That's actually a pretty good analysis, although once one gets into a locality-by-locality basis most states look surprisingly "purple" (a mix of "blue" and "red"). The state I live in is like that; I live in a solidly "red" town although the state votes "blue" in major "elections" (and I use that in quotes for reasons that I have stated before) because of the lopsided population density. Other states vote "red" because of gerrymandering [0] and other schemes.

Education is a decent enough proxy for mental agility and the ability to assimilate and make decisions from a stream of sometimes incomprehensible data, but it's not everything, There are exceptions and sometimes those of "limited education" are capable of remarkable things. Too, higher education in this day and age here comes at a ferocious cost to the individual undertaking it, and delays the onset of truly productive years by potentially decades whilst the debt is paid off.

Certainly the corrupting power of money has irretrievably contaminated the "election" scheme in the US, and I see no real path out of that. Too, the "dumbing down" of the populace has played into the scheme as well where individuals are no longer capable of independent critical thought. Without independent critical thought a republic has no chance of standing. That was part of the thought that I was developing in the late '90s when the "No Child Left Behind" act was passed -- and it dumbed things down immensely. At the time I was thinking in terms of religious alignment rather than oligarchy, but it serves both equally as well and we see where it's come since. The American Taleban drove the initial wedge in, the oligarchs "embraced" it, and then tossed the Taleban aside as a waste product now that the republic has fallen.

[0] Named so for a former governor of Massachusetts when districting lines were redrawn and somebody in the press noticed that the outline looked rather like a salamander and formed the pormanteau of "Gerrymander" after two words. It's nice to see that something from my home state lives on, even if it is in infamy.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:00 pm A couple of things With out the US the world will being speaking Chinese
Sorry but that's nonsense. I think you'll find that English (the clue is in the name) is a prevalent language across the globe because of something called the British empire. (The extent to which that's a good thing is debatable!)

And by the way, the bulk of the UK media is heavily biased to the right of politics. Most newspapers are owned by billionaires who don't live here and are only in it for what they get out of it. Many of the big names in bbc news used to have links to the Conservative party.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

What I meant was the world would be dominated by China

and by the way Manhattan actually sold for $24 not $60
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It appears that Trump's rally was a bit of a failure. Of course it wasn't his fault - it was some getting tickets without any intention of attending or protesters outside the venue keeping adherents away. He was reported as delivering a less than rousing speech that didn't address the problems facing your nation. The polls are against him so maybe things aren't going his way.

BTW the BBC is not without its bias - it has been accused of having left-wing views at times. So maybe not the middle line unbiassed news channel it once was.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:03 pm The polls are against him so maybe things aren't going his way.
The polls are useless... those same polls said there was no chance he'd win in 2016...

He'll win because the democratic party always picks losers for their ticket.

Could have had Elizabeth Warren... but nooooo... gotta vote establishment... :roll:

Have fun with 4 more years of Trump libbies....
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:13 pmThe polls are useless... those same polls said there was no chance he'd win in 2016...
That wouid not have happened if the Democrans hadn't run such an unacceptable candidate, and nobody figured that the Republicrats would run Trump. That was simple money talking. With much of the Democran core so disgusted by what they saw their "own party" running, many opted out. My money was on Clinton from the get-go as she was (1) solidly in the pocket of the oligarchs and (2) very clearly the Anointed One. So the electorate "went to the polls mad". I still viscerally recall what happened the last time we did that -- we got Reagan who started the entire mess we're in now.

So, it's going to be Trump in 2020. He's got the CoT solidly and unwaveringly behind him and nothing is going to dissuade that.

We need to do better than Biden as well as he's just one more fossil in the pocket of the super rich. We The People need to make this our finest hour, else it may be our final hour. We've got one shot left. Make it count. Don't vote your heart; don't vote your party (it's not yours); vote with your intellect.

What would have happened if the Democrans "won" in 2016? The working class would still be in peril because there would have been no restraint on the class warfare being waged against the working class. We would still have had the COVID-19 debacle because nobody would have had the stones to quickly suspend air travel to/from the source region (too much money involved), and the final death of the "little economy" would have happened on Clinton's watch instead of Trump's. In short, very little difference save for the probable lack of twit(ter)-based posturing. It's all going according to plan.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

There was no winning on attendance last night .

If he packed the house the same people who went along with the mass protests would have criticized him for putting people in danger

Less than a full house and he is picked on for that.

even though it was less than a full house BIden couldn't get that many people to an event if he added all of his events together.

Some potential attendies couldn't get in because the entrances were blocked by BLM people.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:36 pm We need to do better than Biden as well as he's just one more fossil in the pocket of the super rich. We The People need to make this our finest hour, else it may be our final hour. We've got one shot left. Make it count. Don't vote your heart; don't vote your party (it's not yours); vote with your intellect.
Well now there's the rub... as a lifelong third party/independent voter I can tell you that such practice is a waste. Between the democrats and the Republicans, one or the other will win, an unaffiliated candidate doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Perhaps it's too late Carl...

Maybe we "blew it" in 1980...

One thing is for certain, we can't blame that one on the millennials!

But unless there is outright voter fraud in the primaries, the democratic party has their candidate of choice. There were some good people running, Warren and Buttigeig to name a few, Buttigeig and Warren together would have been excellent, but this country (democrats included) with all its prejudice just isn't ready to hand it all over to a woman and a gay guy...

So as Dennis has suggested, we have the government we deserve, so we shall choke on it...

Perhaps oldsalt can take pause and consider my desire for departure, this country doesn't belong to my generation. We're just the proletariats of a system hand crafted by boomers.

This is his country... not mine, I just live here and pay my 40% in taxes... I have no representation, I have no community, I have nothing but my wife, my animals, my daughter, and my soul... each of which I can take elsewhere...
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm Perhaps oldsalt can take pause and consider my desire for departure, this country doesn't belong to my generation. We're just the proletariats of a system hand crafted by boomers
And for the life of me I can't figure out what the issue is with boomers... we'll make sure they still receive their socialized health care and retirement, we just want our piece of the pie too... but that's just too much to ask... so to hell with it all...
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Honestly people this thing about whose crowd is bigger is downright juvenile. I mean come on... we're practically comparing penis sizes...

Gheeze... what's next... popping off "your mama's so fat" jokes...?

This country needs to grow the hell up..
-Andrea