Health Concerns & Costs

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Health Concerns & Costs

Post by moonshadow »

I hate to hear what you and your wife are dealing with UA...

You all are in my thoughts... I will let Jenn know too.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the update. That sounds nasty, but maybe there's hope. You're in my prayers.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Al
My thoughts and best wishes are with both of you.
Your situation should cause folks to view their own with some perspective.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Al,
My prayers for you and your wife. I hope for better news by this week end.

Now try to get some much needed sleep since it will affect your health if you don't.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

My heart goes out to both of you. It is sometimes hard to know if it is the patient or the spouse that suffers the most in these traumas. Sadly the insurance system is of little comfort. I do hope the emergency relief at the hospital and some sleep helps.

Can you get a home care aide to spell you a bit; or family, VA friends, or even offer someone struggling in this CV world room and board in exchange for some help? May courage aid you both. God bless.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am sorry Unc, to hear about that setback when the situation seemed to be improving. Obviously the stress and worry about your wife is making an impact on your own health.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 amObviously the stress and worry about your wife is making an impact on your own health.
I've been gently leaning on him through the back-channel to take better care of himself.

Folks forget about that facet altogether too often. If your own health fails because you haven't done enough for it then you become "part of the problem" instead of potentially part of the solution. One owes it to himself as well as those around him to stay as close to the top of his game as he can. It is better by far to be in a position to help than to require help.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

OK, I didn't go to the hospital yesterday. I figured that my wife needed rest after getting
the intubation tube out. Today I saw that she's breathing on her own. She also looks like
she had been put through the washing machine and hung out to dry in a thunderstorm.
She nodded yes, or shook her head no, to any questions or comments I had. She did not
form any words with me. The nurse told me that my wife had her first 'solid'(pureed)
food today. No longer relying on IV's for nourishment. The Doctors have verified that
she has had another 'mini' stroke. This compounds any progress made so far.
Little steps,-little steps.- but we'll take any we can get!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Thank you for the progress report; sounds like the crisis is past and you are now back to recovery work with some hope. Our prayers remain with you both.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I feel so sad for you both. I wote some words about how I felt when my son had leukaemia and the time prior to his death but I felt them inappropriate. Suffice it to say, I can empathise with what you are going through and you will be in my prayers. Look after yourself. It's not a selfish thing to do but what good would you be to your wife if you also end up ill? Take care both of you. My trials with MOH seem trivial in comparison.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Just got off the phone with the physical therapist. Found out my wife has been
downgraded and moved OUT of I.C.U. She's now on the 4th floor and getting,
I hope, much better :D

Going to see her tomorrow and talk with the Doctors/nurses about her progress. :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:00 pm Just got off the phone with the physical therapist. Found out my wife has been
downgraded and moved OUT of I.C.U. She's now on the 4th floor and getting,
I hope, much better :D

Going to see her tomorrow and talk with the Doctors/nurses about her progress. :D

Uncle Al
Sounds like some good news for a change Al. I hope it will continue to get even better.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:00 pmJust got off the phone with the physical therapist. Found out my wife has been
downgraded and moved OUT of I.C.U. She's now on the 4th floor and getting, I hope, much better :D
That's great news, Al, but when I was scanning it initially my heart sank when you mentioned "downgraded" -- usually that means one step closer to being six feet down. Fortunately that wasn't the case once "moved OUT of ICU" was mentioned.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Just got back from the hospital, visiting my wife. She's out of I.C.U. and under
intermediate care. She's still having problems with liquids. They must be thickened,
so she doesn't choke on it. She did speak better with me. Still don't know what the
abdominal problem is. The MRI/CT Scan showed an irregularity but nothing to define
what the irregularity is. :( She says she hurts & needs help. I don't think she understands
what has been going on with, and for, her.

Her mom, in 2016, died from a massive stroke, along with Dementia and Alzheimer's.
I think, personally, that she's thinking that will happen to her. :confused:
(Where is the shruging smilie when you need it)

Right now, allergies/sinus are killing me :!: Woke up around 3:30AM with my right
eye and nostril running like a faucet turned wide open. Tried a different medication,
which seemed to work. Got back to bed around 6:30-7:00AM. This crap is for the birds :!:

Will call Doctor tomorrow and schedule a visit for one of his "Allergy Cocktails" :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 am Just got back from the hospital, visiting my wife. She's out of I.C.U. and under
intermediate care. She's still having problems with liquids. They must be thickened,
so she doesn't choke on it. She did speak better with me. Still don't know what the
abdominal problem is. The MRI/CT Scan showed an irregularity but nothing to define
what the irregularity is. :( She says she hurts & needs help. I don't think she understands
what has been going on with, and for, her.
Her mom, in 2016, died from a massive stroke, along with Dementia and Alzheimer's.
I think, personally, that she's thinking that will happen to her. :confused:
(Where is the shruging smilie when you need it)
Right now, allergies/sinus are killing me :!: Woke up around 3:30AM with my right
eye and nostril running like a faucet turned wide open. Tried a different medication,
which seemed to work. Got back to bed around 6:30-7:00AM. This crap is for the birds :!:
Will call Doctor tomorrow and schedule a visit for one of his "Allergy Cocktails" :D
Uncle Al
Al, It sounds like Deb is progressing at a somewhat slower pace this time around.
My prayers are still coming your way. Please take care of yourself.

Fred