Andy Rooney Once Said……

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Andy Rooney Once Said……

Post by Uncle Al »

For the members who reside in the U. S., you may remember this person :D

Andy Rooney Once Said……

Andy Rooney 2020-06-03.jpg

Andy Rooney was one in a million. At the end of ’60 Minutes’ he usually had his own 10-minute
segment that, unbelievably, was never censored by CBS. He’s probably the only one who could
have gotten away with this. May he rest in peace.

Andy Rooney once said . . .

I don’t think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things
I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund,
Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.

Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment
Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens….Jesse Jackson will be knocking down
your door. Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone
with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. I believe
they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in
the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
I have the right ‘NOT’ to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black,
that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have
to speak English! My father and grandfather didn’t die in vain so you can leave the countries you
were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you
to stop. If you can’t understand the word ‘freeze’ or ‘stop’ in English, see the above lines.

I don’t think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special
loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel,
coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their
freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living
document; and open to their interpretations.

I don’t hate the rich; I don’t pity the poor. I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and
television. That doesn’t stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more.
If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that’s better, and put your name
on the building.

It doesn’t take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to
the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say ‘NO!’

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don’t pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don’t want to look at your ugly
infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of ‘Political Correctness.’ I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was
born in Africa; so how can they be ‘African-Americans’? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don’t go
around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great
grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else, and if you don’t
like my point of view, tough.

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC,
FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

- - - - - -
A commentator who didn't pull any punches.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Andy Rooney Once Said……

Post by moonshadow »

Why....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:14 pmWhy....
Why not?

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:40 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:14 pmWhy....
Why not?

Uncle Al
Well... I'm just trying to figure out what the polemic is trying to accomplish?

I think everybody in the world knows where the battle lines are drawn, the question is how do we build a bridge to peace? Or do we all just continue to grandstand on our individual soapboxes to our inevitable demise?

This I do not know.

Btw... reports indicate Rooney never said most of that...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/andy-rooney-politics/
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm Well... I'm just trying to figure out what the polemic is trying to accomplish?
I think everybody in the world knows where the battle lines are drawn, the question is how do we build a bridge to peace? Or do we all just continue to grandstand on our individual soapboxes to our inevitable demise?
This I do not know.
Btw... reports indicate Rooney never said most of that...
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/andy-rooney-politics/
If it came from Snopes.com then it is also suspect as they have used their platform to promote political parties and persons that should never have been promoted... (0)
They are not neutral or in several cases accurate... So I along with many others do not hold to their version of the truth, since it is suspect....
Fred

(0) And I do not mean trump......
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pm it came from Snopes.com then it is also suspect as they have used their platform to promote political parties and persons that should never have been promoted... (0)
They are not neutral or in several cases accurate... So I along with many others do not hold to their version of the truth, since it is suspect....
Fred
Perhaps, but many of the lines I recognize from other sources, George Carlin being one, much of it seems to be taken from a piece that I first heard aired on the John Boy and Billy big show back in the early 00's.

Nevertheless, regardless of who penned it, I still don't see how such rhetoric would serve to improve the situation today, other than at best to stiffle it down and allow it to simmer all over again.

Rather than publish cheap shots and brow beating each other over what it means to be a proper human being, or American, why not engage in thoughtful, civil discussion and work to resolve problems while endeavoring to preserve the dignity of all involved?

Here's something I like to reference for character building in trying times as these...

... and yes you can fact check it... he really wrote this:

Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.

Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.

Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.

Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

-The 13 Virtues by Benjamin Franklin
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Would that more of us follow those "virtues of Franklin", the world would be a better place.

The problem is that to actually live such a life in the modern world puts one at an immediate and profound competitive disadvantage because basic ethics have gone the way of the dodo.

Always be wary of putting words in dead folks' mouths -- for the original words, if worth remembering, were taken down and recorded. This makes fact-finding rather easy
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pm
If it came from Snopes.com then it is also suspect as they have used their platform to promote political parties and persons that should never have been promoted... (0)
Fred
The good thing about Snopes is they give references. You can follow their links to find the sources for what they right.

On this story (I can't vouch for all of them) the links check out. One of their links goes to the CBS website dated to 2005.
There's a collection of racist and sexist remarks on the Internet under a picture of me with the caption 'ANDY ROONEY SAID ON 60 MINUTES.' If I could find the person who did write it using my name I would sue him.https://www.cbsnews.com/news/andy-opens-his-mailbag/
If you respect Andy Rooney, it might be good to consider his opinion on these remarks.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Here's something I like to reference for character building in trying times as these...

... and yes you can fact check it... he really wrote this:

Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.

Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.

Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.

Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

-The 13 Virtues by Benjamin Franklin
I thought at first you meant Andy Rooney wrote that and was getting hot under the collar until you rightly attributed it to Benjamin Franklyn.
I do believe that if you go to live in a country you should adopt the values of that country. Live by its standards and speak its language. Ideally you should strive to achieve cintizenship of said country, support its sports teams etc. However recent events involve native born Americans who seem to be treated differently for no other reason than the colour of their skin
:roll:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Shilo wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:45 pm do believe that if you go to live in a country you should adopt the values of that country.
And those values are best summarized in our original (defacto) national motto:

E Pluribus Unum

Too many people believe that America is "this" or "that" when in fact it is many things to many people.
-Andrea
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, that load of tosh in the OP reminded why I don't often wander into the Off Topic area. What a waste of three minutes of my life. Well done Moonshadow for gently taking Uncle Al to task for it. Benjy's 13 virtues are 1300 times more worth reading.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I would guess that Andy didn't say these things on 60 minutes because even back them they were a left leaning liberal rag.

Even though the author of this list is truly unknown I agree with it 100 %

Why do we have to kiss the ass of anybody who doesn't like what my country stands for ..( I say "my" instead of " our "because some think that we should bow down to every emigrant who legally or illegally crosses our border )

Do you think that a person could go to any other country in the world and get away with trying to pull the crap they feel that they have a right to do here

The only waste of time here is reading the incessant "BS" of those who think that we should make nice to everybody

Right on Uncle AL :thumright:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Better to make nice than make hate and inequity. Viewpoints and frames of reference clearly come from different perspective here. I invite you all to seek means of uplift through cooperation rather than demonizing others. Intolerance is not the road to understanding or resolution of a of conflict.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Illegal is still illegal...
Why should we make nice to people who cross our borders illegally and then demand we feed them, give them free medical care, give them houses and cars. They should be rounded up and sent back across the border and told to get in line like the people who come in legally.
If they are are here illegally then they are criminals and should be dealt with accordingly.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Many US citizens are living on lands that US treaties have reserved for the original owners, the native Americans. Should we round them all up? A more orderly restoration of treaty rights might be better.
From 1778 to 1871, the United States government entered into more than 500 treaties with the Native American tribes; all of these treaties have since been violated in some way or outright broken by the US government...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... n_treaties
US Constitution wrote:This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. Article 6, Clause 2
I think anyone who supports what Andy Rooney called "a collection of racist and sexist remarks" needs to do some serious soul-searching and repenting.