Summer skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Summer skirt

Post by beachlion »

Thanks for the praise. No production plans, I like to have unique one-offs and like to be the only wearer of those designer pieces. ;)
Faldaguy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:52 am Great job. I envy the talent; maybe the legs too!
Not much talent involved but just my way of doing things. As an engineer you are supposed to make something that not there before. You have a mental picture of it and you try to make it in meat space. The more you do it the better you get. But it helps if you were working at a shipyard. There you learn how to form steel plates into curved forms. With fabric it is only much easier.
For the legs: biking, biking and biking. And living in the Netherlands is a great help.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

and like the rowers, in the Netherlands bikers encounter no hills !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:16 pm and like the rowers, in the Netherlands bikers encounter no hills !

Tom
The highest hill is about a 1000 ft in the Southeast where three countries meet. There you can run through three countries in 5 seconds flat.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Very nice piece of work there, beachlion.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

In another thread about the acceptance of skirts by the SO, I said I would try a kilt like model aka a wrap skirt. My wife likes me in kilts but not very much in skirts. After some time in the designing, drafting, cutting and sewing department I could go to the showing department and make some pictures of the result. It is a little shorter than my original plan because it was the last of the bolt. ;)

I will make another one in black a little longer.
P1010105q.jpg
P1010106q.jpg
This one will be nice for the beach if the beaches will open. Also the weather is not much of a help now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I wonder BL is there any boundary beyond which your multi-talents do not reach?

Lovely wrap skirt. I'd go for a couple of inches more skirt and about the same amount less exposed thigh, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Looks great. Only would need to be longer if that makes it more acceptable to your wife, in my opinion.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Thanks. Like I said, it was the last of the bolt. The next one will be slightly above the knee.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:38 pmI wonder BL is there any boundary beyond which your multi-talents do not reach? ....
The first thing that comes to mind is making music, playing an instrument. Even with MIDI I can not make any progress. My brain can not interpret the notes and steer my fingers. I should have stated as a kid but just after the war, my family had other priorities.

Lightyears ago I made a sort of string instrument. With a piece of steel wire, a magnetic microphone, a plank and a spanner I made something that sounded like a guitar with build-in distortion effects. ;)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That wrap skirt looks just right io me, lucky it was last of the bolt as it might have ended up too long :).
Are they buttons or press studs?
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

denimini wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 am...... Are they buttons or press studs?
Those are buttons. The same type as used on jeans. They come as a two part assembly kit, a button and a sharp push pin like object. First you make the button hole, preferably in the right part and at the right spot. You mark the corner of the button hole on the other part and push the push pin through that spot. With some force you press the button on the sharp pin and your button is ready for action.
P1010115q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

The jeans buttons are new on me I often wondered how difficult it was to fit them. My skills don’t extend to completely making my own clothes but I often carry out alterations. They will come in useful in the future.
:roll:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Shilo wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 am The jeans buttons are new on me I often wondered how difficult it was to fit them. My skills don’t extend to completely making my own clothes but I often carry out alterations. They will come in useful in the future.
This was my source.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VN ... UTF8&psc=1
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Thanks for the source, I may get some to have on hand.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Sadly that link was to amazon.com and the postage costs are exhorbitant. Nil despirandum however a quick search of eBay revealed loaded of suppliers. I’m not clear whether you actually need an installing tool or can you just hit it with a hammer?
:roll: