My Weather

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My Weather

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:02 pm
weeladdie18 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 amI am now asking the mods to lock all of my off topic threads.........Roderick
Considering that 100% of your most recent flurry of messages have been "off topic" it'd be easier to push the delete button on the lot and be done with.
I regret to explain to you, young man, that you have been mis informed.I did not suggest that I should
deleat my posts....I suggested to Uncle Al that he my lock my threads as it was his opinion that
the subject of my posts was not relevant to an off topic subject on the skirt cafe.

I feel the members of the Skirt Cafe should agree with the Management Team as to what is an acceptable
range of Off Topic Subjects for the skirt Cafe.
May I remind you that your response to this thread is not a subject within the content of this thread.
I would strongly suggest that you move your post to the correct thread so that you, as the self assumed
manager of this thread can keep your house in order...I would strongly advise you to give serious
consideration to my response to Uncle Al...
Please remember that I have flagged three P.M.s sent to me by three moderators .You have no proceedure
to resolve this issue

.......Roderick
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 pmI regret to explain to you, young man, that you have been mis informed.I did not suggest that I should deleat my posts....I suggested to Uncle Al that he my lock my threads as it was his opinion that the subject of my posts was not relevant to an off topic subject on the skirt cafe.
No, you misunderstood. I was saying that it would be vastly easier for me to delete the posts in question. Bear in mind that the moderators have to read each and every post submitted here.
I feel the members of the Skirt Cafe should agree with the Management Team as to what is an acceptable range of Off Topic Subjects for the skirt Cafe.
Some level of off-topic posting has always been tolerated here, and will be tolerated in the future. We have no plans on changing our editorial style. However, the sheer mass of off-topic, and seemingly stream-of-(semi-)consciousness posts recently submitted have seriously compromised the generally very favourable signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio that the forum prides itself in.
Please remember that I have flagged three P.M.s sent to me by three moderators .You have no proceedure to resolve this issue.
We do, and the problem is being actively worked at this time. Usually it involves an account-disabling and a lock-out. We never like doing that, but occasionally the "nuclear option" is the only one remaining when civil and rational discourse fails to deal with the problem.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the matter of rat poison, when I was a teenager, I had left some mouse poison in the crawl space of my grandmothers house as she had mentioned seeing mice droppings.

While in the same crawl space reparing a plumbing line my dog at the time joined me. I heard her crunching on something only to find out she was eating the poison!

I took her to the vet where they treated her. She lived another 14 years to a ripe old age, but I never set out poison again after that...

... live and learn..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here is the weather for Carl.. :thumbdown:
Arctic blast set to punish Northeast with cold, May snow

May 5 (UPI) -- An unusually chilly spring is about to turn even more shocking as cold air, moisture and a visit from the polar vortex team up to trigger way out-of-season conditions for mid-May across portions of the Northeast. AccuWeather meteorologists anticipate the upcoming pattern to bring snow that defies the norms for so late in the season and freezing conditions.
Maybe the Chinese are causing this too!!

:x :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Friday night lows here will be in the 20's.

Highly unusual... usually we have our last frost sometime in April...

Better get your spring photography in now... by Saturday all those blossoms will be wilted...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 am Maybe the Chinese are causing this too!!
I wonder if there might be some truth to this... at least by proxy.

The massive economic downtown caused by covid19 has resulted in less pollutants and cleaner air on average.

Maybe less greenhouse effects?
-Andrea
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

While there are some living people who remember water droplets to have fallen to Earth out of the sky....the descriptive word was 'Rain', we haven't seen any here for over a month now.
True to Angela Merkel's directive, it did rain sometime in the middle of the night about a week ago while we were all asleep. That resulted in the water butts being refilled and the dandelions coming out in all their springtime glory. It also caused the grass to grow, so we don't need to feed hay to our 'nodding donkeys' any more. In late Summer we get a delivery of freshly baled hay and straw which filles our barns for another winter.
Looking at Carl's snow-drenched New England landscape brings to mind the tale of the Giant's garden, where it was always Winter, because he wouldn't allow the children to play in there......
Another glorious morning yesterday, if a little chilly, thanks to a brisk N.E. 'Scottish wind', but things do look great at this time and before the Family got up I was off across the moor with my favourite Benjy German Shepherd and I actually caught sight of one of the cuckoos entertaining us there.

I doubt the cuckoo would show interest in this moorhen's nest on the water. Camera focussed on the intervening vegetation, hence soft-focus eggs.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Our typical "last freeze" (after which point it's safe to plant things) here in the hinterlands of Massachusetts is typically mid-May, so one last insult from the frozen tundra isn't particularly surprising. The weather boffins are predicting a low of 33 for Friday.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Speaking of the regularity of seasons.

In the mid-60s I was drafted into the Royal Dutch Airforce and was stationed in then Western Germany as a maintenance guy of the generator park for the base. A standing order was that on September 15 the cooling water in engines was to be exchanged for an anti-freeze mix. At April 15 all engines shoud be drained, flushed and again filled with water. The nature of that spot was different from the average situation in the Netherlands (sea climate vs land climate) so we questioned the rule. Freezing up would not be a problem if the engines were running constantly but most of them were shut down after normal working hours. The sergeant-major in charge said that rules are rules and we should change to water in April. We knew that it still could freeze during the nights so we kept the anti-freeze in and faked the log books. Only one very old Diesel engine was treated according to the rules because we wanted to get rid of it. Maintenance was a PITA. And yes, a few days later the cast iron block of the old engine cracked open and a frozen lake was under the generator. We changed all engines somewhere in May but nobody understood why just one engine out of a dozen had bit the dust.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 am Here is the weather for Carl.. :thumbdown:
Arctic blast set to punish Northeast with cold, May snow

May 5 (UPI) -- An unusually chilly spring is about to turn even more shocking as cold air, moisture and a visit from the polar vortex team up to trigger way out-of-season conditions for mid-May across portions of the Northeast. AccuWeather meteorologists anticipate the upcoming pattern to bring snow that defies the norms for so late in the season and
Maybe the Chinese are causing this too!!

:x :x
No doubt you have seen evidence for this which you are not at liberty to reveal to us or the American public
:roll:
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

beachlion wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 pm Speaking of the regularity of seasons.

In the mid-60s I was drafted into the Royal Dutch Airforce and was stationed in then Western Germany as a maintenance guy of the generator park for the base. A standing order was that on September 15 the cooling water in engines was to be exchanged for an anti-freeze mix. At April 15 all engines shoud be drained, flushed and again filled with water. The nature of that spot was different from the average situation in the Netherlands (sea climate vs land climate) so we questioned the rule. Freezing up would not be a problem if the engines were running constantly but most of them were shut down after normal working hours. The sergeant-major in charge said that rules are rules and we should change to water in April. We knew that it still could freeze during the nights so we kept the anti-freeze in and faked the log books. Only one very old Diesel engine was treated according to the rules because we wanted to get rid of it. Maintenance was a PITA. And yes, a few days later the cast iron block of the old engine cracked open and a frozen lake was under the generator. We changed all engines somewhere in May but nobody understood why just one engine out of a dozen had bit the dust.
Another example of rules being for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of idiots
:roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

April in the Netherlands, despite all this global warming &c can be bitterly cold.
Some 14 years ago (seems like yesterday!) we traveled to Amsterdam to compete in the Amstell Head of the River, run by Nerius Roklub. It was a two-day event, Day one, row 2.5 Km followed by a 500m sprint, aggregate times taken. Day two, a 5Km timed row. On Day one it was so cold. minus 3 deg.C with a biting Easterly on the nose, straight off the Russian steppes. When we got in after our rows we were all hypothermic and it was decided not to row if conditions next day were similar. Next day was minus 1 deg., but the biting East wind had stopped, so we decided to boat after all. There were snow flurries, during which it was white-out and coxes just couldn't see where we were going.. Fortunately no-one came to grief and that pic. was taken telephoto down off a tall building.
We won our section and each got a (Heineken sponsored) tankard. Good trip, but Boy! was it Cold!!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The weather here has been pretty temperate. Most days quite warm or even hot, odd rain showers, even some hail. Odd cold days. In other words typical English weather, just behaving itself a bit better than usual.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes Dennis, but have you noticed that the urban satsuma trees have been stripped by nocturnal thieves seeking to supplement their meagre diet, resultant from lockdown restrictions :cyclops:
We have had a grand arrival of five moorhen chicks on our vast inland sea whose eggs I pictured just days ago. I was wondering if your Station goose had hatched out her carefully laid eggs yet?

Our pleasant dry spell continues and were are considering applying to Angela Merkel for some more nocturnal Euro-rain to water the dandelions here. which in response to the last consignment of Merkel-rain demonstrated that as a plant species they weren't extinct yet. :bom:

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just two days ago we witnessed no fewer than seven new moorhens hatch out. Getting a pic. of Mum and all of them together was a challenge. All round the banks of the lake are reeds and other foliage, so hiding places from predators are plentiful. Our most sociable cat is currently showing and unhealthy interest in the new arrivals and is spending most of his waking hours down there.

Tom
Rs Moorhen on nest.JPG
Rs Moorhen plus seven, May 2020.JPG
IMG_8084 (2)r.JPG