Export trading lost in Lockdown

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Export trading lost in Lockdown

Post by weeladdie18 »

The welk is captured in a pot on the seabed and exported to Ireland for processing.
The processed welk is exported to Tiwan.
Some suggest that 75 % of the British fish landings are exported .
The boats cannot land as the fish cannot be sold.

I is now being stated that the fish producers will be compensated during lockdown
The problem occurs when the grant is withdrawn after lockdown...The whole chain of supply will be broken
All the buyers will have to reset their sales to a changed pattern of food consumption by the final purchaser...

I visited Sainsburys Cafe for a cooked lunch and cold evening snack....The Cafe closed for lock down

I cannot buy sliced Scottish Smoked Salmon as Sainsbury have ceased to supply...
A market for Farmed Scottish Salmon has been lost
Sainsbury have closed their bakery and instore making of cakes....

Co op and another chain are competing for my custom....the fruit market in these two Chains has settled down.
warm cooked frozen pies and pasties in the morning. and reduced cold pies and pasties in the afternoon.

Probably 8 staff are now not needed in Sainsbury........With a loss of 3 months holiday trade another lack of need
for staff.....

I would suggest that locally 25 % of the customers will be lost to Sainsbury
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Export trading lost in Lockdown

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pmProbably 8 staff are now not needed in Sainsbury........With a loss of 3 months holiday trade another lack of need for staff.....
That's one of the things that's concerning me here in the USA: What of the little shops who make life more livable for the masses? Will they even survive this debacle?

I have a cobbler I depend on in downtown Westborough to fix shoes for me when things get thin. Is he going to survive this? Is the little boutique I use in Leominster to do alterations on clothing going to survive? Little businesses -- tiny even. Do they have a chance? Will my local re-open? Will my weekend haunt up north re-open? These are very much unanswered questions.

The big chains and superstores will be just fine after this mess -- and especially so now that they have their piggish snouts in the "recovery" trough and are soaking up the money that's required to bail out the little guys. The gummint got it wrong again, and didn't put a cap on things as to who is eligible for assistance; they should have put an initial yearly revenue limit on eligibility at $500,000 or so, and gradually increased it so the hardest-hit small businesses could get first dibs. But, no, it's a feeding-frenzy for the fat-cats. Corporate welfare at its very worst. (Or perhaps they got it "as designed".)

Above and beyond the damage to small business, I'm getting very concerned about the state of mental health here. We've already have had seven weeks of "house arrest" for most of the populace. That doesn't augur well. Humans are social animals, after all, and deprived of contact with their acquaintances and friends, many do not hold up well. I'm waiting for a spike in suicides, or folks just saying, "Screw this! I'm going to go and try to catch this thing so it'll either kill me or make me stronger." It's just a matter of time. And the truly sick thing about it is that because of the stigma of mental-health issues -- even artificially-induced ones -- nobody dares talk about it for fear of subsequent backlash.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Some small businesses have their Lights off and the door locked ...Upstairs the lights are on ...So bang on the door and
your job is taken in and the door is locked and your job is done upstairs....

The Big local agriculture strore instructs you to ring in. They go round the store collecting your order ,Take your card payment.
Then you got to the customer recieving station . A boy come in sight so shout out your name.
He put your parcel of goods outside the warehouse and you take them home

If The farmer wants his pallets of animal feed .He rings in the order and parks his trailer outside the warehouse.

The forklift loads his trailer and he drives off.......what is going to happen is that this will simplify trading
as the staff know what they hold on the shelves.

I have been doing business using this method with Scottish High Street Kilt Stores , Government Surplus
and Fishing Gear importers for years....The only difference is that if I put the order in before Midday,
the order is shipped out for an overnight flight and is on my doorstep 0900 hrs the following day..

For U.K. readers ...700 Miles ...90 minute flight to Exeter ...2 or 3 hour Trucking to my home .
If I cannot sign for the goods they are returned to the Redruth Warehouse and I have a 20 mile drive with Delivery Number...
The goods are imediately to my vehicle and I go home....It only takes me an hour of my time to get goods from Scotland...

All the time the Logitics vans are coming into my estate ....It is just the social distancing which has changed an efficient system.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

My High Street Iron Monger Refused to close ...Now it is social distanting ...No customer goes to the shelf.

The customer goes up to the distance counter and the staff collect the order from the shelves ...The staff put the goods on the
counter .I use the card machine Take the goods out of the shop . Possibly five or six customers are standing in a queue
outsider the shop.

The System is a co operative with 5 privately owned stores supplied by on big warehouse......

Some businesses are ham strung because their suppliers are closed down.....The Trailer and garden machinery man
Cannot trade because all his agency suppliers are closed down....

All the Ford car garages and agents are closed because of the alleged loss of logistics .
I am waiting for a Rear Light holder ...made in poland for a Portugese manfactured ford
A computer search would bring the Component to my doorstep over night . ..but no.. the whole Ford spares system has closed down .
Even the petrol station....and show room.

The crazy is that my Tyre and M.O.T. Station ,Which is owned by Michellin Tyres is still trading under social distancing
and is waiting to fit the unit free of charge...

If that does confuse you try the next cenario.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Many small shops are still open here, either serving customers at the door or bagging-up pre-ordered goods.

While I was suffering respiratory symptoms and probably highly infectious (with probably C 19, but not absolutely certain) I rang the local butcher and placed an order, telling him that I would pay with a five pound note.  He left the goods outside the shop door with my change in the bag and I reached into the shop and left the note, soaked in Isopropanol, for him to pick up.

Similarly I buy milk in a small local shop with wet coins from a pot of alcohol which I stand on the shop counter.  I back away and they drop the change directly into the pot.  There is no possible transmission either way.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I’ve found even the small market traders are now preferring cards to cash. Sadly I just insisted my bank changed my contactless one for the old fashioned PIN kind
:roll:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My wife's garage/MOT testing station is in such a dilemma. The Governmint has offered a 6-month leeway on MOT's which means until the end of September so the number of MOT's will probably trickle in until then. There will possibly be a flood of MOT's to do along with the backlog of repairs that have built up in the meantime. But until then the business will have to try and survive until then. With all the usual outgoings the future for the business is not certain.

As for bank cards I have never had a contactless one, not trusting the uses of the technology. And I worked in IT for a bank for 10 years.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have commented on this MO T elsewere .
Over the years the local Chain Corner Shops ..Co op...etc have decreased their minimum bill settlement
amount down to £2 or £3....I always use credit card and settle at the end of the month.

The more user friendly the store is ...The more money I will spend in the shop..
Happy staff and happy customers makes a good environment.

While we are on the topic of provisions ...There seem to be more grocery delivery vans on the road...
Is this a more popular style of trading ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Above and beyond the damage to small business, I'm getting very concerned about the state of mental health here. We've already have had seven weeks of "house arrest" for most of the populace. That doesn't augur well. Humans are social animals, after all, and deprived of contact with their acquaintances and friends, many do not hold up well. I'm waiting for a spike in suicides, or folks just saying, "Screw this! I'm going to go and try to catch this thing so it'll either kill me or make me stronger." It's just a matter of time. And the truly sick thing about it is that because of the stigma of mental-health issues -- even artificially-induced ones -- nobody dares talk about it for fear of subsequent backlash.
[/quote]

We are getting concerned regarding this Social Problem.....Folks will get out of their house arrest
and cause havoc trying to re live their holiday week end .When there are no pubs , no cafes

Big queues outside Penzance and Helston Supermarkets , no Leisure activities and limited Take aways...
I am one for closing our car parks on the beaches , so there no breaches in the cordon to cause
excess havoc on one beach.....The Coast Guards are monitoring unauthoristed marine activity.
and the police are checking public disorder on beaches and car parks...
I see a few Hikers and Cyclists .....but as our weather is late this year when the sun shines
There will be increased pressure on unavailable services.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sinned wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 pm My wife's garage/MOT testing station is in such a dilemma. The Governmint has offered a 6-month leeway on MOT's which means until the end of September so the number of MOT's will probably trickle in until then. There will possibly be a flood of MOT's to do along with the backlog of repairs that have built up in the meantime. But until then the business will have to try and survive until then. With all the usual outgoings the future for the business is not certain.

As for bank cards I have never had a contactless one, not trusting the uses of the technology. And I worked in IT for a bank for 10 years.
I have mentioned this MO T else ware.....I always use a credit card
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

[/quote]
I see the problems of folks no longer accepting the lockdown and trying to visit sea side towns
Which are shut down....We have had over a month to accept our freaky situation.
It is like going back 50 years...there will be problems when the visitors arrive