stay warm with a wood burning stove

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

stay warm with a wood burning stove

Post by weeladdie18 »

This is an on going project with an installation contract....I am copying my neighbours installation six months ago .
So it is efficient. A sweedish stove is installed on a local slate base in the lounge of a bungalow .
The chimney goes up through the ceiling and roof tiles.
The chimney has a concentric outer guard which removes the warm air from the chimney.
Some of the warm air goes back into the room.....
The heat of the body of the stove is blown into the room with a Canadian made horizontal fan
A couple of stratigically placed dehumidifiers dry the air current as it moves into cold damp areas of the rooms
on the North side of the back of the building which rarely sees the sun.
With a good need to recycle scrap pallets, the hardwood cubes can be used to fuel the stove at a rate of two
at a time... the burnt ash is removed once a week and mixed with the clay soil of the garden.
The general theory is that the the fuel should be kiln dried hardwood.
Thanks for your comments Pelmet....The stove stands high enough on its legs to have a wood store benieth its own body.
Does anyone have any comments on burning different types of wood ? Stay warm and take care gentlemen.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: stay warm with a wood burning stove

Post by Kirbstone »

Apple, Rob.

Burns very sweetly and is aromatic, to boot. Alas in a wood burner that perfume goes up the chimney to waste. Sometimes it's possible to leave the door open and sit by the stove, however.
Of course if you are burning dismembered body parts it's best to keep that door shut! All sorts of stuff can go in there. Here in Ireland we have a large percentage of peat for rural fires/stoves. Calorific value same as wood, so coal remains better for transatlantic ocean liners, railway locomotives &c.

Anyway, curiously enough our day-to-day temperatures are warming up, so the need to warm the Globe with wood diminishes at this time o' year.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Got a picture to share weeladdie? We used pellet stoves to great advantage in Oregon; and I considered hauling one down to Costa Rica for our mountain top home, but ran out of space in my orchard fruit boxes. Strangely, we have pellets in CR as they are used in some commercial operations, but no one makes pellet stoves for home use -- albeit not a lot of us need one. There are some gravity flow units that look simple for engineering and fabrication. Anyway, show a picture of what you've got happening.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Those Scandinavian countries sure know how to design heaters - and so they should.
It seems that you will have a good efficient unit.

Redgum burns at a steady pace and burns for longer.
Mulga burns hot and needs shutting down but is good mixed with redgum.
Black box is the ultimate, with persistent good cooking 'coals.
Unfortunately the better the wood is for fires; the more difficult it is to cut. White cedar is easy to cut.
A lot of fallen timber around home has fine silica sand embedded in it which is hard on chainsaw blades.
At least all wood around here is as dry as ..........

Yes, it is getting to that time of year here.
My house has 4 fireplaces but the old open type where most of the warmth felt was from physical energy required to feed them with wood and a bit of radiant heat. They certainly weren't space heaters. I have a slow combustion "Coonara" unit with glass door and fan, fitted into one of the fireplaces.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

We have a pellet central heating boiler for heating and hot water that is excellent. We also have a fairly modern wood stove which we feed with dried and compressed sawdust bricks and this is also excellent and efficient. The most important factor in any wood or peat stove is the moisture content, the lower the better for 2 main reasons.
1/ Heat output, raw wood can easily be 40% water so it can be difficult to light and give very poor output. I learnt this when using a log cabin in the Cairgorms for our annual winter mountain rescue training, coldest and dampest week ever! Properly dried wood at less then 10% moisture burns well. There is a book called 'Norwegian Wood' which if you can find it goes into great detail about drying logs.
2/ Wood with a high moisture content can deposit tars and creosote in the chimney which can lead to a chimney fire.

Dry wood free from paints, nails etc linked to a well designed and insulated flue should be trouble free for many years and give wonderful warmth.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

skirtedbrit wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:25 am

Dry wood free from paints, nails etc linked to a well designed and insulated flue should be trouble free for many years and give wonderful warmth.
Why does the wood need to be free of nails? Would they clog up your ash system?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:37 pm Apple, Rob.

Burns very sweetly and is aromatic, to boot. Alas in a wood burner that perfume goes up the chimney to waste. Sometimes it's possible to leave the door open and sit by the stove, however.
Of course if you are burning dismembered body parts it's best to keep that door shut! All sorts of stuff can go in there. Here in Ireland we have a large percentage of peat for rural fires/stoves. Calorific value same as wood, so coal remains better for transatlantic ocean liners, railway locomotives &c.

Anyway, curiously enough our day-to-day temperatures are warming up, so the need to warm the Globe with wood diminishes at this time o' year.

Tom
Yes, thank you Tom and all my friends I will come back to you on this one.....Roderick.