A great time-waster for car nuts

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

A great time-waster for car nuts

Post by FranTastic444 »

The Elkhart collection

The guy who built up this collection may have issues around his business dealings, but you cannot fault his taste in cars. Oh, to have a few $$$million to splash out on some of these. To be honest, there are so many cars from the collection that appeal to me, I wouldn't know where to start.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: A great time-waster for car nuts

Post by beachlion »

Browsing the pictures was a walk along memory lane. Thanks.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks Fran for that illustrated list.
Come October I won't be bidding for any of them at Sothebys. It seems a strange time to put that lot out to auction and I wonder if many of them wil reach their reserve(s).
Interesting mix though, but short on Porches & Volvos. Lots of others missed as well. In there is a Ferrari Dino 246 in silver. OK, but far better in red. Remember them well.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I think the best description of that collection, is "eclectic"

Surprised by how many I had no prior knowledge of. Another thing that struck me was how Fiat styling ranges from the sublime to bizarre.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Wonderful , and even a few models I or the family once owned when they were just 'ordinary' people vehicles. Too bad these are here due to fraud, but maybe some buyers will get their own legitimate 'steal' and a few fleeced souls will get a bit of their losses back -- at least the lawyers will. Khan kind of seems like a fitting name!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I just clicked on your link but saw almost nothing on the back story of this collection. What is the backstory; the hints that were dropped makes it sound notorious.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

To answer a few of the questions that were raised but not answered by the link:
  • The fellow who collected these cars had a payroll company that failed to remit the withholding taxes to the IRS.
  • He's been sued by numerous parties and now has $98 million of assets to pay $120 million + worth of liabilities.
  • The auction is scheduled for October so that the Coronavirus will hopefully just be a bad memory.
  • Clearly, everyone involved wants to auction the lot off ASAP to meet the liabilities.
  • There shouldn't be a problem meeting the reserves because:
  • According to Sotheby's information few of the items have a reserve.
  • Nearly anyone who has the money to buy such extravegences probably weren't affected (financially) by coronavirus.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

They say tomorrow is today's greatest labor saving devise; but a guy who answers his own questions is a close second! Thank you PDX
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

An astonishing collection. Some of the old Alfa Romeos are sublime; the Miura is the definition of beauty, the Jaguars are sensational, particularly the E-type lightweight. Just amazing.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Ray wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:52 am An astonishing collection. Some of the old Alfa Romeos are sublime; the Miura is the definition of beauty, the Jaguars are sensational, particularly the E-type lightweight. Just amazing.
Didnt see a Miura, will have to look through them again!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Since this thread is about cars here's a link to a site about some remarkable minis:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusia ... 5#image=13

I remember the British Vita machine. It was built for drag use and had a plenum chamber fitted. An awesome machine capable of over 150 mph. It was rumoured to be capable of overtaking a flat-out E trype Jaguar and then changing up!!!! As you can gather I'm not a fan of the E tripe. As an ex-boss said of the E-type, "It's driven by the sort of man that walks about with his flies open."

As for the auction collection there are a few of those I could covet but as my late father[0] used to say, "No matter what, they're all just heaps of scrap metal."

[0] A time-served motor mechanic with exceptional knowledge and skill about anything motor related.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.