Mature college student

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dan2see

Mature college student

Post by dan2see »

In college, most of the students are in their 20's. Most students wear a sort of default black pants, black sweater, a non-fashion.
As a mature student, I already don't blend in with the crowd. Social interaction is always pleasant and polite, but fleeting.
So I am always seen in a short skirt, with bare legs, and usually a man's collar-and-button shirt, and hiking boots. My fashion statement also includes a deliberate colour choice, but mostly in plain fabric.
I have never never got any kind of negative comment. Instead, several women (but not men) tell me I look good. And they say that even the guys tell each other that I look cool.
They seem to be happy with my style. I like it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mature college student

Post by Freedomforall »

Very neat indeed. What area are you in?
dan2see

Post by dan2see »

I live in Canada, the Great White Frozen North.
Alberta is the sunniest and windiest province in Canada.
So layers of anything are always going on, and coming off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Is there a picture as I cannot see it for some reason :cry:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
dan2see

Post by dan2see »

Canada is the Great White Frozen North.
Alberta is the sunniest and windiest province in Canada.[attachment=0]Pleated Olive with yellow.jpg[/attachment]
This light-weight pleated skirt is viscose, a very light fabric. I'm not crazy about the colour, but it matches the shirt.
(Sorry I duplicated my first picture, but I changed it here.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dan2see on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Looks good. I see how you don't look like the typical college student.
dan2see

Post by dan2see »

Well, my story is this:
I did not complete High School in 1959, so I went back to graduate in 1972, with the intention of going into university. But I couldn't decide on what courses to take -- just learning about stuff, I guess.
Meanwhile my new career in computer hardware and software was interesting and engaging, and that led me to live and work in 4 provinces and 3 states. My poor family had to come along, too!
After I retired about 10 years ago, I started searching for a new career. I wanted to be in nature and the Rocky Mountains, and I wanted to focus on art. So I went for the 4-year Bachelor of Fine Arts at ACAD here in Calgary. Next year I will complete my 4th year. One thing that it easy was transit -- I could jump on the train near home, and jump off at school. Another thing was my Canada Pension, which paid our rent.
School was a lot harder than I thought it would be. After all those years of learning and living my own way in the Wide World, I was not prepared for courses like Art History, or Post-Modern Design. I'm still not sure what I'll do after I graduate.
So, a man wearing a skirt was my choice, they can't stop me. But the environment at Art College made it easier.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Looks like a practical outfit! Well done :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Good for you Dan2see for fully living your best life to the fullest.

I taught community college for awhile and I found that my mature students were the best! They were all intimidated by the kids who went directly from high school to college. They shouldn't have been. By and large the adult students knew why they in college, worked and contributed the wisdom of life experiences.

Hang in there with your university studies, I'm sure you'll thrive and be an appreciated contributor to the success of whatever class you enroll in.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was a mature student in my early 30's, married with 4 children and a mortgage. I had the advantage over the yoof as I had nothing to lose in asking questions if I didn't understand something, especially in Computer Science that was new to most of us, I think. Many times I was thanked by other students for the questions I asked because they felt that they would have felt embarrassed at the time asking them. I didn't have that pride and nothing to lose. Unfortunately skirts were not on the horizon then.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I was a student at the Open University, most of the students on our courses were mature but the same could not alway be said of the lecturers.  In response to one of my questions, a biochemistry lecturer answered "If you don't understand that, you must be stupid".  I replied "I think I must be: I've just written out a cheque for your salary".

He grudgingly answered my question.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
hackberry

Post by hackberry »

pelmut wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:40 pm I was a student at the Open University, most of the students on our courses were mature but the same could not alway be said of the lecturers.  In response to one of my questions, a biochemistry lecturer answered "If you don't understand that, you must be stupid".  I replied "I think I must be: I've just written out a cheque for your salary".

He grudgingly answered my question.
Indeed. dan2see the maroon skirt looks good but then it's a favorite color for me.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Mature College Students: 2 Sides -

Side 1: I was a mature college student getting my education after serving in the army. Studied with others like me and those students fresh out of High School didn't stand a chance against us. We set the the grade curve, because we studied harder and longer after life had knocked us around a bit.

Side 2: I taught in a technical college. Many of my students were people who lost their jobs to factories closing. They came back to school to learn a trade that would improve their overall life. They were hungry to learn and my favorite students. They made me a better teacher. because they challenged me always wanting more. Those fresh out of high school were always looking for ways to get out of doing assignments and simply didn't compare to the mature students.

If there are members here who are thinking about returning to school to change occupations because of job loss due to the Covid 19 virus, go for it. You will probably do better than you ever dreamed about, and it doesn't take long to brush up on your study skills.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I went back to retrain as a teacher in my forties. Most of the other students were fresh out of university. I thought they would out pace me but the opposite was true. They didn’t seem to understand the discipline needed to complete assignments on time and were always asking for extensions. They couldn’t understand why they had to turn up on time and treated it like a holiday. Many were surprised when I was one of the first to get a job and the first signed off the course. I am a firm advocate of formal education but don’t underestimate the value of life experience when applied along with it
:roll:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by PatJ » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:37 am
Mature College Students: 2 Sides -

If there are members here who are thinking about returning to school to change occupations because of job loss due to the Covid 19 virus, go for it. You will probably do better than you ever dreamed about, and it doesn't take long to brush up on your study skills.
I left Hawaii with my tail between my legs due to the recession of all five key Hawaii key economic areas, and no one else wanted to pay me a nickel so I too spent some time as a mature student -- pulled off summa cum laude double major while working nearly full time with wife and kid -- and it did not seem overly strenuous because the standards set by youth coming in from HS are not very rigorous.

However, the next time a economic blip (the great recession of 2009) reared its criminal head and directly impacted my businesses, despite the timing being before our planned retirement, and some very costly consequences (which were apparent) we elected retirement -- and what a wonderful choice it was/is! It may have been bad for the pocketbook, but great for the soul. So, if it is within the realm of possible -- to hell with 're-training' for a job -- Go Retirement, and you can do what you damn well please, including all the study you want-- likely for free!