Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

Post by johnb »

skirtedbrit wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 am I am an outdoor type living in the country and love hill walking in skirts for the freedom of movement, keeping cool and lack of discomfort caused by friction.
I like them for the same reason. Strange that women out walking in the country and hills, don't seem to have the same ideas.

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Same here. But skirts have less of an advantage over trousers when you are walking than when sitting down. If it's likely to be wet, or cold and windy, trousers have the edge. But there's always the option of wearing a light skirt and carrying waterproof trousers in case the weather turns.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

oldsalt1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:44 am I was formulating an answer to this question when I read CR's post I was thinking that he read my mind while he was writing his reply.

A little adjunct to his comments I also feel that I look better in skirts ,maybe its because I take a little more effort when I dress .

His last comment about being a little different also hits home. I have spent the majority of my life trying to fit in and slipping under the wire ,afraid to be different.
Agree with all these points :!:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As, when wet trousers stick to the legs, a skirt not so much. I'd prefer a skirt in heavy rain than trews.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

For me, it comes down to aesthetics and admiration. I have always admired someone dressed in a nice-fitting skirt, regardless of length. I purchased my first kilt in 2006 and have since added many more. I now own more skirts and kilts than pants (work uniforms excepted)! I like the way I look in a skirt. I like the way it feels on any day, whether it is a cold day or a warm day. On cold days, I wear tights or leggings with a skirt or kilt. On warm days, I may go commando :D

Final thought, I am slowly coming out of my box and embracing skirts as a fashion choice. Wearing a kilt has become easy. Those who know me actually expect it! Wearing a skirt will (hopefully) come just as easy.
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Keep at it, KITV, and it will.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why whttps://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20970e wear skirts and how does it feel?

Post by Faldaguy »

Comfort is King.

Simplicity of wear and care.

I can look better dressed for less dollars in a skirt than pants-- at least given my predilection for Goodwill type thrift stores for my skirts.

I like the options; pants and shirts alone from the rack are quite boring -- no wonder so few men take much care/notice of their attire or look!

The above allows more indulgence of mood, occasion or subliminal messages! You can 'announce' most anything from drab, flirty/sexy, flamboyant, down-to-earth, formal, or melancholy.

Skirts provide more suitable options for a wider range of activities than pants -- hiking is a good example -- but maybe that is back to comfort.

Choice without dictates from others for conformity probably fits my history as a bit of a rebel.

The 'shock' factor can be a bit of fun; and educational which I like as I want to make people consider their biases, their conformity, assumptions. It easily opens the door to issues of gender ID, gender orientation, and all verities of sexism, cultural norms, and travel among others.

I get a hell of a lot more compliments, notice and inclusion wearing skirts than I ever did in traditional men's attire.

It's FUN.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Unlimited stride
ventilation
freedom
comfort
dry crotch
no friction
no seams or wrinkles
great for driving, No pressure and allows air conditioning.

Perfect for movies, hiking, walking,
Minor problem with modesty and flashing, getting in and out of a vehicle.

Great for gardening and home projects
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Indeed,Faldaguy, it wouldn't do much good even if men did notice their attire, because there isn't much you can do with dull clothes.

In which case, you might as well pick something that you can just throw on without thinking about it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Being a bit corpulent, I would like to agree with the lack of friction, however, friction does become an issue with too much walking when ones legsrub against each other, then, a pants actually provides a barrier and prevent chafing. Obviously the answer is either a wider pelvis, not easy to arrange! or just less weight. It's a pity food is so nice!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes, B&B. People who don't eat get awfully thin, but think of all that enjoyment they are missing out on !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I usually wear skirt when driving for longer distances when I first started it was very noticeable how much easier it was in the crotch area. I also enjoy the feel of a soft breeze ventilating the same area when out.
:roll:
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Don't really wear skirts in the true sense but I do frequently wear a kilt for hiking and at home...After being forced into conforming to trousers and even shorts most of the time it's joyful slip on one of about 20 kilts I've bought over the years . Even if it's only for an hour or two at a time ..

They are just great . One day when I retire and don't have to be restricted to conformity I expect I'll be in kilts all day most days .

In the meantime any kilt time is better than none .. My love affair began as a ten year old via a National dress theme Fancy Dress Ball in primary school wearing a modified girls school kilt belonging to a cousin . I went as a Scotsman because our family heritage is both Scottish and Irish .

I'm wearing one right now actually ...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:56 pm Ah yes, B&B. People who don't eat get awfully thin, but think of all that enjoyment they are missing out on !

Tom
This conversation seems so long ago! over the last maybe 6 months I lost about three stone. I went for a walk yesterday in my incerun dress and had no chafing at all. the secret to this weight loss? not recommended. After a bunch of folk commented on how much thinner I was as well as not looking that healthy, went to the Doctor, blood tests happened. the next day I got a phone call from the doctor. My diet is the having diabetes diet, which has it's downside; diabetes. A few days later and more results came back from the lab, no cancer, which is good, but it looks like the diabetes is caused by hemochromatosis, which is bad, if I had to have another life long condition I could have chosen one that is easier to spell!
Anyway, no chafing and the dress is really comfortable, I will be investing in one or two more, great Summer wear as it is quite a light fabric.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola B&B;
Diabetes is certainly a nuisance if not more -- my diet has been altered as I eat what MOH provides as the chief evening cook, and she has to tend her diabetes -- yet, we have found many benefits and delights as well in our ever altering and growing repertoire of good scarfing. It sounds like yours may have arisen from the hemochromatosis....which makes me think of the old Barber Poles and blood letting...I do hope they have better ways of tending that now! Meantime, we once found that the McDougal diet was effective in weaning us of our sweet tooth, though I have fallen from the wagon a few times and my skirts are prompt to tell. :wink: Salud.