Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Corona Virus

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am
crfriend wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:54 pm I am not confident that the current regime is going to be lifted any time soon -- if, possibly, ever.
The better the isolation, the sooner this will be brought under control.  Every time more people get infected because they went out for something non-essential or were careless, the lock-down period gets extended.
In the above, I was not referring to the current epidemic that we're undergoing, I was referring to what the various governments' actions will be once we have reached:
Once the proportion of immune people in the population is high enough (by recovery or death) we can return to something approaching normal but still with precautions.  As soon as a really effective vaccine can be produced and widely distributed, the worry is over -- until C 19 mutates or another one comes along.
I have little to no confidence that things will get better for the Little People in the USA. Each and every time we have had civil liberties snatched from us by "our" government -- in the name of whatever is convenient at the time -- they have never been reinstated.

Yes, this disease will pass in time. The damage that the government has done will be persistent because it is not going to let go.

What we can learn from Arlington might be a good starting point. This chap has a very good idea. I am led to recall the commentary about World War I and the human cost involved: "Lions being led by jackasses".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:14 pm I have little to no confidence that things will get better for the Little People in the USA. Each and every time we have had civil liberties snatched from us by "our" government -- in the name of whatever is convenient at the time -- they have never been reinstated.
I do hope you are wrong, but I think some permanent changes will be inevitable -- and some of them may be quite sensible and worth supporting.  They should be voted into law in the conventional way once the worst of this is over, then the emergency measures can be repealed.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:55 pm
I have little to no confidence that things will get better for the Little People in the USA. Each and every time we have had civil liberties snatched from us by "our" government -- in the name of whatever is convenient at the time -- they have never been reinstated.
I do hope you are wrong, but I think some permanent changes will be inevitable -- and some of them may be quite sensible and worth supporting.  They should be voted into law in the conventional way once the worst of this is over, then the emergency measures can be repealed.
The test is simple...

Will the U.S. finally join the rest of the civilized world and formulate a single payer medical system? Or will we hatch another abomination like the "Patriot act"

The answer will determine whom the politicians serve.

Sadly I'm afraid I share in Carl's pessimism over the situation. But... I guess we'll find out soon enough.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:55 pm
crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:14 pmI have little to no confidence that things will get better for the Little People in the USA. Each and every time we have had civil liberties snatched from us by "our" government -- in the name of whatever is convenient at the time -- they have never been reinstated.
I do hope you are wrong, but I think some permanent changes will be inevitable -- and some of them may be quite sensible and worth supporting.
I hope I am wrong as well, but history seems to be on the side of pessimism in matters like this here.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm I hope I am wrong as well, but history seems to be on the side of pessimism in matters like this here.
What I've read about the 1918 flu pandemic, gatherings and movement were banned. This ended when the pandemic was over. There may be some lingering restrictions, but the physical distancing, stay at home orders, and closed businesses and schools will end.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:49 pm
crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm I hope I am wrong as well, but history seems to be on the side of pessimism in matters like this here.
What I've read about the 1918 flu pandemic, gatherings and movement were banned. This ended when the pandemic was over. There may be some lingering restrictions, but the physical distancing, stay at home orders, and closed businesses and schools will end.
We were in a state of flux during the 1910's. A lot was passed that we still have today. The federal income tax (1916), the Federal Reserve System (1913), of course there was WW1, leading to WWII. In 10 more years we would experience the great depression....

Oh yes... a lot was changing. Socisl and political views were shifting rapidly. We've just grown accustomed to the changes. Today they have the ability of mass surveillance, tracking, GPS, big brother... etc
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

While I don't normally share things I see, hear etc, especially from social media etc, a link to this was sent to me by someone who is also very careful what he shares.

I found this video on you tube that is quite interesting, looking into the possible origins and genetic fingerprints of this Chinese virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXWGxhd7ic&t=237s

True or not, I guess time will tell.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:49 pmWhat I've read about the 1918 flu pandemic, gatherings and movement were banned. This ended when the pandemic was over.
It's worth noting that in 1918, the United States was still a Constitutional Republic, with a government that largely answered to the needs and desires of the general population. Such is not the case now, and it's critical to remember that. Folks living in 1918 would likely not recognise the United States in 2020 as the same nation; I'm not sure what they'd think of it, but I can imagine it not being good.
There may be some lingering restrictions, but the physical distancing, stay at home orders, and closed businesses and schools will end.
Many of the closed businesses are already out of business permanently. Most small businesses run on razor-thin margins and to be completely shut down and deprived of operating capital whilst all the while needing to pay debts like rent, electricity, and tax do not fare well. The big chains, Walmart, &c will be fine, but the little players are mainly dead -- and there's no way to restart.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:32 pm
I found this video on you tube that is quite interesting, looking into the possible origins and genetic fingerprints of this Chinese virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXWGxhd7ic&t=237s

It's worth looking at some of the critical comments:
Nicholas Ahlmark wrote:
Most interviewees plus the 'journalist' have a rigid anti Chinese Communist Party Agenda. Even Dr Sean Lin, whom the doc presents as some kind of expert on viruses also just happens to be 'Executive Director, Global Alliance Against Communist Propaganda and Disinformation' a quick Google search reveals. Judy Mikovits PhD has had a career blighted by controversy, and is shunned by her piers for her highly questionable research on fatigue syndrome. The journo Gordon Chang is a Fox News Trump supporter who wrote a book in 2007 that wrongly claimed China would collapse by 2011. The ex-general was expelled out of the White House for his 'embarrassing' views on 5G. Basically the film is full of totally non-credible pariahs, just do some research on them and you'll see what I mean.
and
Nicholas Ahlmark wrote:
Theories of SARS-CoV-2 origins: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of a related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for binding to human ACE2 with an efficient solution different from those previously predicted7,11. Furthermore, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used19. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone20.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:32 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXWGxhd7ic&t=237s

If, as I suspect, that video contains insinuations and inferences indicating the virus was deliberate, I offer as a contrast, the fact that more people are probably looking at its genetic makeup than any other virus in history.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:29 pm...... We were in a state of flux during the 1910's. A lot was passed that we still have today. The federal income tax (1916), the Federal Reserve System (1913), of course there was WW1, leading to WWII. In 10 more years we would experience the great depression....

Oh yes... a lot was changing. Socisl and political views were shifting rapidly. We've just grown accustomed to the changes. Today they have the ability of mass surveillance, tracking, GPS, big brother... etc
At least we had the golden age of jazz with about 40 years of good music. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I just spoke to the owner of Purple Rain skirts the other day. Her business is taking a serious hit and she may not recover. I am sure she would appreciate support from us if any of you feel inclined to do so.

http://www.purplerainskirts.com/
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

https://myfox8.com/news/kentucky-police ... -services/

Kentucky police have been ordered to record license plates of people attending church on Sunday.
People violating this will be ordered to quarantine for 14 days.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

This is why not everyone should be a cop!

https://www.officer.com/on-the-street/v ... h-daughter
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I read about the WWI (the Great War) that there was a truce during Christmas. The soldiers in the trenches celebrated X-mas and exchanged wishes to each other. For some reason I feel more or less the same now. You can not leave your house to visit friends or family but have to call them or connect over the Internet. Instead of Christmas in the trenches it is Easter in the houses.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak