Fashion advice (of sorts)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Fashion advice (of sorts)

Post by Uncle Al »

OK, here's my $.02 worth.

If you're wearing a patterned/print shirt(stripes or checks), you wear a SOLID SKIRT.

If you're wearing a patterned/print skirt(stripes or checks), you wear a SOLID TOP.

DO NOT MIX a patterned/printed shirt - of any type - with a patterned/print skirt.

A solid top and solid skirt is OK as long as the colors compliment each other.

Printed "T"s are mainly for teenagers so, invest in some semi-dress/full dress shirts.
A plaid semi-dress shirt goes well with a solid color skirt. Same concept as if you
were wearing trousers. If you were wearing plaid/patterned shorts, you should
wear a solid color shirt. Remember, If the shirt has 'tails', IT IS TO BE TUCKED IN.
If the shirt does not have 'tails', it is OK to wear it out( un-tucked ).

When at home, you can dress as you please but, when out-n-about, dress as a
confident person(whether you are or not). Give the public a good presentation,
that you take pride in what you're wearing, not as a slob-that's for home ONLY :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Long time readers take appropriate self-protection measures … I agree with Al. :D
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Have a a pandemic and anything can happen.

What Al is saying is that the same rules apply when you are wearing a skirt as when you wore pants.

You wouldn't wear sneakers with a 3 piece suit or dress shoes with gym shorts.

colors also matter.

The best judge would be to imagine your outfit on someone else.

The way that you would react to them is most likely the way they would react to you
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

UA, If T-shirts are mainlly for teenagers then I must be regressing as most of the time I wear them. LOL
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Sinned wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 pm UA, If T-shirts are mainlly for teenagers then I must be regressing as most of the time I wear them. LOL
I said PRINTED T's :D Many a time I've washed the car wearing shorts and a plain, single color "T" shirt.
Not one that had a saying printed on it. I don't plan on being a walking billboard for anyone ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've got both ain and printed. In fact I have some that are donations from one of my granddaughters! Some of my sleeveless tops are obviously from the other side of the aisle by virtue of their shape and moh has not winged once. I don't let so called "young' fashions be denied being part of my wardrobe.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That's a very dictatorial set of rules there Uncle Al, for a site dedicated to folk breaking the "rules" and indulging in some fashion freedom (Don't like that phrase!).

Guidelines and advice, no problem, but hard and fast rules for casual dressing?

I would insert some form of smiley thing but hate the creatures! Have a good day Y'all!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 amThat's a very dictatorial set of rules there Uncle Al, [...]
It has been said that rules are for the guidance of the wise, and for blind obedience by fools and simpletons. The difference here is that the wise understand the intent of the rules and can bend them to advantage. E.g. Red and purple actually work very well together if you watch the fabrics and the shades.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Red and purple actually work very well together if you watch the fabrics and the shades.

Correct!

Similarly, you can mix patterns; but ONLY if you REALLY know what you're doing.

As my 8th grade English teacher said, "You can break the rules … but only if you really know what you're doing!"

How do you know when you've gotten there? It's like the cost of the upkeep of Commodore Vanderbilt's yacht; if you have to ask, you're not there.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Be careful - BE VERY CAREFUL of sporting the clothing of a court jester least thou become the subject of public opinion and no further jesting - off with the head !

Now on a very casual note - who the hell wrote the bible on fashionable wear and what kind of biblical admonishment is going to occur for non compliance ?

Happy Easter* you all and sport your Sunday best - W-I-D-E-L-Y --- S-P-A-C-E-D - of course limit the contamination field - Keep a palms branch distance apart !

* Yes it is Palm Sunday today- you all have a week to plan what to wear.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:05 pm Now on a very casual note - who the hell wrote the bible on fashionable wear and what kind of biblical admonishment is going to occur for non compliance ?
I think women did? And one will be scorned if they don’t comply :D

In all seriousness it feels like a cultural thing. There is color theory - which probably has a biological basis in terms of how people perceive color (would have to research more)... but otherwise I get the feeing that a lot of the rules are made up based on prevailing opinions of the time.

Do I agree with the rules? Sort of - like not mixing too many patterns or colors. Do I break the rules? Evidently all the time. I don’t think it matters much if you look somewhat put together, and the people around you don’t laugh :D I still angst over the rules way too much.