Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Uncle Al »

JennC03 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:09 am https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk

This has the f word in it however I thought it was hilarious.The guy playing reminded me so much of Uncle Al in such a positive way.Please be kind it's only to shed some laughs while we're all quarantined. By no means am I making this a joke or anything.
Jenn-Thanks for the link :!: It DID bring a smile to my face :D
(Reminds me of some Irish Limericks ;) )
You're right - we ALL need laughter at this time of wearing out the pandemic.
Stay safe you 3 ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A talented guy for sure. I admire those who can play (however simply) and sing at the same time. Reaching back some 60-odd years Tom Lehrer recorded a lot of very topical and clever songs accompanying himself on piano. Sadly, that particular clip makes liberal use of that four-letter word, which places it outside the acceptable repertoire.

No, I didn't find it remotely funny, but I'd like perhaps to hear some of his other offerings.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

I found it funny because it reminded me of Uncle Al telling people to stay home. Not so much on the swearing but if I'm not mistaken he plays a big organ and I was picturing him doing this and it made me chuckle .That's why I said it was hilarious but all in good fun.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus -- math of social distancing

Post by Faldaguy »

Here is a graphic link and simple explanation for the probability, math or otherwise challenged of social distancing:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-ma ... istancing/
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus -- math of social distancing

Post by partlyscot »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 pm Here is a graphic link and simple explanation for the probability, math or otherwise challenged of social distancing:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-ma ... istancing/
Thank you, very useful. I already knew this, but it's helpful for educating others.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This is important, because we learn that our job is not to set up a battleground to eradicate evil, but to search out its spark of holiness. Our task is not to destroy but to build; not to hate but to find a place of yielding; not to polarize but to discover the points of commonality so that we can work together. Learn this lesson, dear friends, it will serve you well".

-Rebbe Zalman Schachter-Shalomi

Looking over some old post of mine I came across this taken from a book I read a while back. For some reason it made me think of the virus.

Is the virus evil? No, of course not. It's no more evil than hurricane, famine, or some other force of nature. It's just doing what viruses do.

The test always lies in what we do as a society to bring about and end to this situation, sparing as few lives as possible. I won't rant about this rabble rousing we see play out on the national scene between the leaders of the world.

Viruses are not evil, but people can act with evil intent. As we move forward through this, I think one of the most important lessons we can take from this is to ask ourselves, humbly, "where did we go wrong?" And "how can we avoid this happening again?"

We learn now, the hard way, that the U.S. is not indestructible, and is highly vulnerable. As they say, the first step in solving a problem is to admit you have one. America has a lot to be proud of, but let's face it... we dropped the ball on this one.

If America continues to point fingers at one another, lay blame, and deflect, all the while denying the crisis we are in, then this may very well be the final nail in the coffin, and bring about the end of our 250 year experiment.

However, if we can pull ourselves up from the boot straps, get to work on solutions, cease bickering and finger pointing, put our ego in check, and get the job done like generations before us have, then we may very well have something to hand down for the generations of tomorrow.

A virus is a virus, it has no choice. The opportunity for evil is a choice we make. For better or worse, this is our show.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:59 pm This has been quite interesting... that's for sure.

There is a lot I'd like to say... but I doubt anyone wants to hear it.

I will leak one statement:

"Truth shall stand when the world's on fire"
Read this Moon. It has been on my mind a lot lately. https://www.creators.com/read/judge-napolitano
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

An interesting article. Though I'm not particularly savvy on U.S. and state law, it does seem time and time again individual freedom and property rights can be suspended for various reasons.

It sounds like the judge who wrote this would love to dismiss a case brought before him regarding a pastor being tried for holding assembly during a quarantine.

But would that same judge dismiss a case against a landowner trying to operate a junk yard in a residential neighborhood in violation of the zoning ordinance? What about next door to his (the judges) house?

The United States constitution is an incredible document, but it is not faultless (otherwise it wouldn't have had to be amended 28 times. There are indeed loopholes in the document that can be exploited during times like these.

One thing we know for sure... these covid19 measures are temporary. We have a situation that is snowballing out of control. This is one of those times I feel we need to let common sense dictate and not allow ourselves to be strangled by frivolous brow beating.

We know the disease is real, we know it's deadly, and we know that currently we have no natural immunity. That will change in time, but we're not there yet.

Freedom won't matter if we're all sick or dead. We've lived in a land of milk and honey for decades... I don't think it's asking too much to play it safe for a month or so. I don't like this anymore than the next guy, and yes my livelihood is at stake, the threat of layoffs is real, many service companies have done just that. But nevertheless, it is what it is.

I can not stop the storm, but I can do my best to weather it, and if I lose it all through this... then I will rebuild.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 pm An interesting article. Though I'm not particularly savvy on U.S. and state law, it does seem time and time again individual freedom and property rights can be suspended for various reasons.

It sounds like the judge who wrote this would love to dismiss a case brought before him regarding a pastor being tried for holding assembly during a quarantine.

But would that same judge dismiss a case against a landowner trying to operate a junk yard in a residential neighborhood in violation of the zoning ordinance? What about next door to his (the judges) house?

The United States constitution is an incredible document, but it is not faultless (otherwise it wouldn't have had to be amended 28 times. There are indeed loopholes in the document that can be exploited during times like these.

One thing we know for sure... these covid19 measures are temporary. We have a situation that is snowballing out of control. This is one of those times I feel we need to let common sense dictate and not allow ourselves to be strangled by frivolous brow beating.

We know the disease is real, we know it's deadly, and we know that currently we have no natural immunity. That will change in time, but we're not there
I do agree that isolation is needed at this time. I do not however like the fact that every time chaos happens, we give up rights in the name of security. I realize there is a thin line between maintaining safety and having freedoms.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

For now you give up your freedoms temporarily for the greater good. These freedoms will return.

It’s quite easy. Be less self-centred, and the restrictions will make sense. Assert your personal freedoms, watch people die, and accept that you have blood on your hands.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pmFor now you give up your freedoms temporarily for the greater good. These freedoms will return.
That depends heavily upon the society in which one lives. The US still lives under the restrictions imposed following the terrorist attacks in 2001 -- and those restrictions are never, ever, going to go away, Why should we believe that the restrictions now being placed upon us will?
It’s quite easy. Be less self-centred, and the restrictions will make sense. Assert your personal freedoms, watch people die, and accept that you have blood on your hands.
What is going on right now is an entirely uncontrolled and unsupervised experiment in human sociological evolution over the course of the past half-million years. Already, the "Little Economy" in the US has been destroyed, and it's not going to come back -- and that's the economy that better than 99 percent of the populace exist and try to live in. Worse is the level of separation we're now undergoing -- cut off from friends and acquaintances. I'm waiting to see when the suicide-rate experiences an uptick because of that privation. I do not believe that's an "if", but rather a "when". Humans are social animals, and tend to crave social surroundings -- and TXT and the 'Net don't cut it. We need proximity; we need familiarity; and some of us need the "human touch". Imagine facing the rest of one's life never again cherishing a tender caress.

Whatever happens from here on out is going to be a mess, no matter how one looks at it. Yes, the species will survive -- but at what cost, physically and emotionally, to the survivors?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 pm I do agree that isolation is needed at this time. I do not however like the fact that every time chaos happens, we give up rights in the name of security. I realize there is a thin line between maintaining safety and having freedoms.
I know what you mean, I share your concerns as well as Carl's with regards to the patriot act. However we're only a few weeks into these extreme measures.

Let's all do our part and give it a chance. If we're still living like this well into the future, I'll riot right along side of you guys.

As for that timeline, I can not say, but I suspect we'll know when enough is enough.

I'm not convinced it's "the end" just yet. But if it is, then I firmly believe it wasn't Covid19.... it was ourselves. Humanity has survived FAR worse plagues and pandemics. If we allow this to take us down, then frankly we deserved it. If we were so woefully complacent, then perhaps it's time for Mother Nature to hit the reset button.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I’m going to have to start reading about the 1918 Flu pandemic - supposedly social distancing played a role in it, but perhaps not the extent that we are practicing now.

I agree - we’ve given up freedoms due to 9/11, and in the name of “safety” and “for your protection” we’ve left them in place. It makes me sad, but how do we change the culture of risk aversion?

There’s a great article I read the other day that sort of touches on this. Don’t take this article to mean that I don’t take this seriously - or that I’m not practicing social distancing religiously :P

https://science20.org/david-zaruk/20200 ... ur-ability
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 pm I’m going to have to start reading about the 1918 Flu pandemic - supposedly social distancing played a role in it, but perhaps not the extent that we are practicing now.
I started a thread on that very topic...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=21420

Of note is due to the fighting in WWI, no nations other than Spain were willing to admit they had a pandemic on their hands. In fact one of the worse hit cities was Philadelphia, why? Because they refused to lock down the city when they had the chance for fear of trainwrecking the economy.

Give it a watch (it's about 40 minutes). Its some scary stuff...
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, that's a decent summary of what I've been fulminating about for a decade or so.

I recall the time when we were sent outside to play by our parents. Most every day, including sometimes when it was raining. Nobody was worried about "Predators". Nobody cared if the boys built things that caught fire or went "boom". The directive was always, "Nobody gets hurt!", and if anybody did there would be Hell to pay. So we learnt the skill that is now known as "Risk Management" -- and we learnt it early.

Much to the horror of the Good Housekeeping types, I live a rather "dirty" life. It keeps my immune system on its toes -- and I view that as an advantage (as well as a time-saver in "domestic duties"). Note my earlier comment about my house-mates; I am vastly more worried about them than I am about me. I'll either sail through this thing when I get it (as Pelmut did) or I'll succumb to it (very highly unlikely). However, I'm undergoing isolation because of my worry about those around me -- and I'm not much liking it.

We need to learn the art of "Nobody gets hurt!" again, and apply it rigorously. Helicopter-parenting and the nanny-state are not going to help here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!