Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by partlyscot »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 am Good God read this AP report regarding New York City..

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/On-N ... 42941.html

I'm at a loss for words....
Overall, the US is seeing deaths double every 2-3 days. Obviously, NY is skewing the numbers, and they have the densest population. Nevertheless, any city or large town can see the same sort of exponential growth unless you exercise caution and limit contact. Until there is a vaccine, the risk is still the same. You HAVE to give the medical staff time to gear up, or they will all be swamped just like NY, and then you'll find refrigerated trucks in your town. I'm really hoping that we will see the curve start to flatten from measures already put in place soon, and someone has an outbreak of sanity and enforces lockdown. The number of deaths is already going to be awful, but if serious measures are not taken now, they will be cataclysmic.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

pelmut wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days,...
The incubation period is 4 to 5 days, the recovery time is about 14 days and after 21 days you will either be completely back to normal or fighting for your life in hospital or dead.
The average incubation time is 5 days. At 11.5 days 97.5% of incubation will have occured however the incubation time is thought to be up to 25 days

I am on day 9 and feel like ****. Recovery, for those that do, can take up to 6 week. This is a nasty virus!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too bad, all this, SkD. No more outfits browsing or dressed-up trips to the pub for a while, eh? Sad for now, but we all hope you can resume soon.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

SkirtsDad wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:05 am
Coder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days,...
The incubation period is 4 to 5 days, the recovery time is about 14 days and after 21 days you will either be completely back to normal or fighting for your life in hospital or dead.
The average incubation time is 5 days. At 11.5 days 97.5% of incubation will have occured however the incubation time is thought to be up to 25 days

I am on day 9 and feel like ****. Recovery, for those that do, can take up to 6 week. This is a nasty virus!
hoping for best for you.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Hang in there, SD. You’ll get through this.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm sorry... but when I saw this I rolled...
EUEmlnSXsAEhZzo.jpeg
:rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I see Boris Johnson has tested positive..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Some time ago we watched and discussed the Brexit. Now looking on Europe with each country setting it's own regulations and approach, no central policy by the EU or WHO, the question does rise whether the Europeans do need Brussels. Finally migration has stopped, borders been closed without consultation of other countries. None helping the other, E.g., Italy receives help from China and Russia, but not from northern Europe. I guess it will become most interesting in due course.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Good point, Gusto. I wonder what is happening with the Brexit negotiations? I would guess that they have stopped and I wonder whether the end of year deadline is still realistic. Rhetorical question, folks. No answer necessary.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm I'm sorry... but when I saw this I rolled...

EUEmlnSXsAEhZzo.jpeg

:rofl:
I feel that way all the time. The county we live in has doubled our property taxes twice in the last 8 years. Once was during a secret meeting. Our water bill is now approaching $80 a month. We barely use any water but they keep increasing the fees. Not to mention the fact that our water is not even fit for consumption by their own admission. They had rather pay state fines than fix the problems. Yes, I am over it all!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 pm I see Boris Johnson has tested positive..
A few weeks ago he was boasting about shaking hands with coronavirus patients. Not sure how to do a direct link to the report, but it is repeated here-
https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1 ... 6933805057
(Apologies for linking to twatter)
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Gusto10 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:45 pm Some time ago we watched and discussed the Brexit. Now looking on Europe with each country setting it's own regulations and approach, no central policy by the EU or WHO, the question does rise whether the Europeans do need Brussels. Finally migration has stopped, borders been closed without consultation of other countries. None helping the other, E.g., Italy receives help from China and Russia, but not from northern Europe. I guess it will become most interesting in due course.
I don't have the link but I read somewhere a day or two ago that Cuban doctors had arrived in Italy a day or so before the Russians.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk

This has the f word in it however I thought it was hilarious.The guy playing reminded me so much of Uncle Al in such a positive way.Please be kind it's only to shed some laughs while we're all quarantined. By no means am I making this a joke or anything.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

partlyscot wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 am
That is not correct. The incubation period is thought by the CDC to be 2-14 days, but they are not sure. They're not sure about a lot of things. Some people can have no symptoms at all, but still be infectious. Best bet? Assume you are infectious, and so is everyone else. If you can stay home do so. If you have to go out, keep your distance as best you can. Wear a mask if you can, even if it is home made out of tee shirt material.
And the WHO has it from 1-14. I realize I wrote it with absolute certainty (up to) - probably not the best as it could be longer, and 14 isn't the average. What bugs me is we still have a lot of uncertainty on this thing, all from how long it survives on different surfaces to whether it is aerosolized or not (probably not, at least not in a major way).

I'm kinda assuming the worst as far as infectiousness goes, but am fortunate to have an IT job.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 am
And the WHO has it from 1-14. I realize I wrote it with absolute certainty (up to) - probably not the best as it could be longer, and 14 isn't the average. What bugs me is we still have a lot of uncertainty on this thing, all from how long it survives on different surfaces to whether it is aerosolized or not (probably not, at least not in a major way).

I'm kinda assuming the worst as far as infectiousness goes, but am fortunate to have an IT job.
I think, (just an opinion) is that the worst, and only significant method of transmission, is through close quarters with an infected person. As much as you reasonably can, avoid close interactions. We're playing the odds here, and on a society level, that's the only thing that makes sense, and from the numbers, it's working. Short of getting a vaccine, pretty much everyone is likely to catch it. Doctors are improving treatment and support regimens, and the death rate should continue to fall as the various bodily responses are mapped out and defined. That will only help if we can give them time, and the physical defenses, THEY need to ramp up. It should be beyond obvious that people on the front lines, and that includes anyone forced to deal with people face to face, need as much protection as they can be provided with. Medical and hospital staff should have full PPE as a matter of course, cost be dammed. We are already losing them to the virus, and that can only increase the likelihood of them being swamped. Anywhere that happens, things go from bad, to being horrendous.