Health Concerns & Costs

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Health Concerns & Costs

Post by Shilo »

At such a time it’s important you don’t neglect your own health. Take some time out to relax. You don’t want to be running on empty
:roll:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My wife has made some progress but she needs additional therapy and care,
which I can't give her at home. With the Coronavirus lock down in Dallas County,
I can't even visit her. The staff at Methodist Rehab Hospital is trying to get her
into another rehab facility which will give her the care she needs. She's exhibiting
some stubbornness by refusing to do certain therapies. Then the staff encourage
her to do it, and she does. She doesn't like the speech therapy too much. She can't
stand up without help. She walks about 20-25 feet then sits down in the wheelchair
behind her. She might try that without the wheelchair behind her. That would be
bad. A stroke is what her mother died from and, I think she's feeling that she's next,
no matter what we do. Trying times!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

This virus has come at the worst time for you. There's a ban on hospital and care home visits unless absolutely necessary. I do hope that she continues to improve and that she accepts the help for what it is - her own benefit. After all, they could just leave her in bed, feed her tranquilisers and forget about her and that would be awful.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Man.. Uncle Al, my heart aches for your situation. It frankly makes me feel ashamed of my ranting over the coronavirus ordeal.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you're able to see your wife soon. Jenn told me some elderly couples are being separated because of this. I can't imagine being separated from Jenn under such circumstances.

Blessings for you and your wife. You're in our thoughts.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm My wife has made some progress but she needs additional therapy and care,
which I can't give her at home. With the Coronavirus lock down in Dallas County,
I can't even visit her.
That's hard. Can the staff set up video visits for you? That sometimes works a bit with my 96-year-old mom.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pmMan.. Uncle Al, my heart aches for your situation.
I responded to Al in an almost identical way a day or so ago because we maintain fairly rigourous back-channel communication, It's awful, in so many ways, for the both of them, and my heart fairly bleeds over it. If there was anything I could do beyond offering moral support and a shoulder to cry on, I'd be doing it. But, my world is the technological one; biology is not my specialty.

However,
It frankly makes me feel ashamed of my ranting over the coronavirus ordeal.
is a bit uncalled for. Sadly, and Al is now learning this, most of the skilled nursing facilities in the USA are for-profit institutions and, as such, run on razor-thin staffing and care staffs. This, unfortunately, in times like these leaves family members divided and separates those who are the best advocates for those who need care from those who need care. That needs calling out, not just for the medical needs, but also the psychological needs -- which can sometimes trump the medical ones. Those two have been together for positively ages, and now they're forced apart. That's going to ravage both psychologically, and that's just plain wrong. something better needs to be done. I just don't know what it is.

Blessings be, indeed. They're coming from "up north" as well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm However,
moonshadow wrote:It frankly makes me feel ashamed of my ranting over the coronavirus ordeal.
is a bit uncalled for. Sadly, and Al is now learning this, most of the skilled nursing facilities in the USA are for-profit institutions and, as such, run on razor-thin staffing and care staffs.
Well, what I mean is my bellyaching over my economical worries.

I'd rather live in my car penniless with Jenn than to be separated at critical moments like these.

If Jenn gets covid19 then I'll likely get it too, thus there is no need for separation.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here, if one gets it then the whole household is grounded.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 am Over here, if one gets it then the whole household is grounded.
That's us too... if I bring it home, Amber has to self isolate (not go to work) until it clears, and vice versa. Jenn doesn't have job so nothing changes with her in that scenario.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am
crfriend wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm However,
moonshadow wrote:It frankly makes me feel ashamed of my ranting over the coronavirus ordeal.
is a bit uncalled for. Sadly, and Al is now learning this, most of the skilled nursing facilities in the USA are for-profit institutions and, as such, run on razor-thin staffing and care staffs.
Well, what I mean is my bellyaching over my economical worries.

I'd rather live in my car penniless with Jenn than to be separated at critical moments like these.

If Jenn gets covid19 then I'll likely get it too, thus there is no need for separation.

Remember that I have a compromised immune system. I also have asthma and scar tissue in my lungs so if I get that you better hope I make it out okay. I hope no one gets it and a vaccine is available soon.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Now for some GOOD NEWS! :D

Just received word that the insurance has approved-FINALLY-the skilled nursing facility for
my wife. She will be transferred later today. The facility is about 1/2 mile from the Rehab
Hospital. Skilled nursing facilities are on lock-down as well, due the Corona Virus Pandemic.
The approval is for 7 days and is renewable. :D

Now, the key element is getting her mind to accept the fact she is getting better. Yesterday
and today, she talked like she's given up. That she was going to die. Her mom died from a
stroke almost 4 years ago and I think she is playing that scenario through her mind, that the
same thing is going to happen to her. :|

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 pmNow for some GOOD NEWS! :D
That's not just "good" news, Al, that's positively awesome news given all the stress and mess we're all under at the moment. I am very, very happy to hear it!

You're absolutely right that the key element now is going to be keeping her spirits up so she has the will -- and mental stamina -- to fight.

If you need a friendly voice, you know where you can find it -- including if you merely need to vent. Letting loose sometimes helps.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Now, the key element is getting her mind to accept the fact she is getting better. Yesterday
and today, she talked like she's given up. That she was going to die. Her mom died from
stroke almost 4 years ago and I think she is playing that scenario through her mind, that the.
same thing is going to happen to her.

Perseveration is a common aspect of a stroke. Both my wife's Mother, and mine have had strokes with strong elements of perseveration as a part of the outcome -- and it is very difficult for many of us to 'disregard' the their apparent attachment to some notion, which indeed at the moment they may be feeling, or maybe just repeating a cycle of comment that their memory is playing with. Try not to let her comments of despair get you down, as you are her buoy as well as your own and keep the unflagging optimism and support messages coming. In, my experience those help and the patient comes round, but she will still echo those old thoughts periodically, and they can be very real in the moment to them, so again you have to be one of the channels through which she gets the courage to recover fully -- and remarkable recovery is possible. Hang in there Al, we can't be responsible for others ultimate choices, but we can be faithful loving aides. Your effort will do you both a world of good. Best regards.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 pm Now for some GOOD NEWS! :D

Just received word that the insurance has approved-FINALLY-the skilled nursing facility for
my wife. She will be transferred later today. The facility is about 1/2 mile from the Rehab
Hospital. Skilled nursing facilities are on lock-down as well, due the Corona Virus Pandemic.
The approval is for 7 days and is renewable. :DUncle Al
That is indeed good news.
At the risk of insulting others.... My prayers for you and your wife are being sent daily.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

UA, I hope that YOH makes a speedy rather than slow recovery. Sometimes we meet situations where we don't think that we can bear what is happening but keep that sense of humour of yours and you'll both get through it.

Faldaguy, I'd never heard of perseveration before. Interesting.