Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by partlyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 pm I have 4 rolls of TP ready for use But use TP sparingly. :D
What I use to supplement the TP supply is a Wash Cloth and Warm Soapy Water. :thumright:
It is actually better than TP as it actually cleans instead of just smearing it into a thin layer on your bum. It also feels good too...
:bluebounce: :bluebounce:
I have bought a cheap bidet. It bolts under the toilet seat and is plumbed into the hot and cold water lines. Well, it will be, when I stop procrastinating. No electronics, and reviews indicates that it works reasonably well. Like you, I typically try to time things so I can jump in the shower after. This should give me more flexibility and save money on hot water.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am Btw.... Virginia has had confirmed cases for a while now... WEST Virginia has none. There are no doubt cases, but due to the lack of test kits and the rural, isolated nature of the area, not to mention the utter poverty and lack of health care... those cases have not been located.
So true. Don't read this if your blood pressure is up. The story starts on the 12th March.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/west- ... index.html

Worldometer says WV has 20 cases at the moment. Yeah, right.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

partlyscot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 pm
moonshadow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am Btw.... Virginia has had confirmed cases for a while now... WEST Virginia has none. There are no doubt cases, but due to the lack of test kits and the rural, isolated nature of the area, not to mention the utter poverty and lack of health care... those cases have not been located.
So true. Don't read this if your blood pressure is up. The story starts on the 12th March.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/west- ... index.html

Worldometer says WV has 20 cases at the moment. Yeah, right.
Sounds about like governor Justice's leadership... :roll:

Governor Justice = Boss Hogg of West Virginia

And yes, Justice is actually his name, interesting isn't it?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I don't want to put a flea in somebody's ear but I was just thinking that the wearing of face masks is very common in the current troubling period. It must be a paradise for bank robbers. Face masks all over the place. You walk into a bank, do your business, you walk out and blend in with the rest of the population.

I want only 25% of the results and that includes not the jail time, if any.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

BL,
After your (failed) heist, make sure they clap you in a cell by yourself, so you can truly self-isolate :idea:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I haven't taken to wearing a stocking over my head!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

skirtyscot wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am Well, I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I haven't taken to wearing a stocking over my head!
I agree that it would look strange with only one leg covered😂
:roll:
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm
partlyscot wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 pm The world is going to be looking very different in a month or so.
When we get through this...

Remember your local small businesses! They're getting hit the hardest, in my travels at work I have dealt with scores of mom and pops, and they're nervous as hell.

They are all cautiously optimistic.

I just completed a service call for a great little sandwich shop... they literally just opened 2 weeks ago, and their customers have all but dried up. They are optimistic, but I can hear the anxiety in their voices....
I can relate to supporting your local businesses. I'm in Santa Clara County, California... ground zero for community transmission in the USA. We've been with a 'Shelter In Place' [SIP] since 3/17 until further notice. Only essential businesses can remain open. All other retail stores have to close. Restaurants are considered essential for obvious reasons.. people have to eat! Anyway... all restaurants that choose to stay open can only have take-out or delivery service. There's a mom and pop coffee shop that I've been going to most weekends for the last 5 years or so. Right now, they're still open and I'll support them for as long as possible. Same with other mom and pop businesses I frequent...
--Rick
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well it appears that garages are OK to stay open for essential vehicle maintenance and we have had one of two health workers in for vehicle repairs. But then the government pulls the rug out from us by announcing that MOT's can be suspended for at least 6 months. So from the end of March if your MOT expires then you get a free pass for a while. It is not clear yet whether your car insurance will still be valid and if you have an accident and your vehicle is deemed unroadworthy then you can be prosecuted. You still have to ensure that your vehicle is not a danger on the road. Even though all main dealers have closed and a lot of other garages too we aren't sure if there will be enough work around for our garage to stay open. Our parts supplier is still open for the moment but if a vehicle needs a main dealer only part then forget it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

we've just gone into lockdown here today...
not much to look forward to for the next month or two I fear.

I hope all skirt cafe members out there are safe and doing ok...

cheers
NZF.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yesterday was my first day back at work since last week.

There is a high feeling of stress and anxiety in the air virtually everywhere. Driving along the business avenues, it is disturbing to see all of the store fronts with the words CLOSED written in large lettering across their windows.

As of now, our work has all but ceased. I have one call (a PM) today and a parts call tomorrow and then that's it!

The U.S. has been shut down for a couple of weeks now and yet cases continue to skyrocket. I don't think it's working....

I haven't slept through the night in weeks. Wake up in the morning with my stomach rolling from the anxiety. Thoughts run through my head, "is this the end? What if things don't rebound? How will we stay off the streets and keep a roof over our heads? If I, Jenn, or Amber catch that thing, is one of us going to die?, etc etc..."

I know that the government can't send out checks forever, if people don't get back to work soon and earning their own keep, the bottom is going to fall out soon.

One of my greatest concerns is the apparent leadership vacuum we have in this country now, and as usually is the case, all talks immediately turn partisan with every side pointing fingers at the other. From accusations of the left trying to push far left policy such as abortions and green deals into aid legislation to accusations of the right basically wanting to write big business a blank check with no oversight.

Bicker bicker bicker, and in just sitting here wondering if we'll even be alive come next fall, or will there even be a U S. left at all?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Thank god most of the politicians here in the UK seem to be presenting a united front, with one or two exceptions ( Stephen Barclay).
How long it will last for I don’t know.
My sympathy goes out to you in the US when I see tv footage of the vacant expression and rambling rhetoric of your president. At least Boris Johnson is listening to his experts and not commanding the sea to turn back. I never thought I’d say this, but I support his stance. Please don’t hold it against me in the future
:roll:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Shilo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am Thank god most of the politicians here in the UK seem to be presenting a united front, with one or two exceptions ( Stephen Barclay).
How long it will last for I don’t know.
My sympathy goes out to you in the US when I see tv footage of the vacant expression and rambling rhetoric of your president. At least Boris Johnson is listening to his experts and not commanding the sea to turn back. I never thought I’d say this, but I support his stance. Please don’t hold it against me in the future
To be fair, it's not just the politicians, the general populace is back to circling their wagons around their chosen tribes, left or right.

The Church of Trump and the Church of the anti-Trump (as Carl so eloquently put it one day) is alive and well.

It's very distressing. The feds say it's up to the states to deal with this, the states say it's the feds problem.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other... I just want this sh!t to end.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Another puzzle...

Trump is threatening to "open the U.S. back up" soon.

I was unaware he closed it. I thought that the individual states were enacting the mandates...?

What the hell does that even mean? Trump says "everyone back to work" and all these governors are just going to shuffle their feet, look at the ground, and say "okay boss...".??

I mean, who's in charge here?

What a fuster cluck!
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am The U.S. has been shut down for a couple of weeks now and yet cases continue to skyrocket. I don't think it's working....
The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days, so everything is delayed by that much. Our actions a week/two weeks ago will be felt a week or two from now, unfortunately. It's going to get worse first. Plus, it's very likely the majority of cases have mild symptoms, and it sounds like the hospitalization rate (at the moment) isn't as high as it was elsewhere.
moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 am Trump is threatening to "open the U.S. back up" soon.

I was unaware he closed it. I thought that the individual states were enacting the mandates...?

What the hell does that even mean? Trump says "everyone back to work" and all these governors are just going to shuffle their feet, look at the ground, and say "okay boss...".??
I really really really don't understand him on this one, and usually I can decode what he is saying. There was no federal mandate to shut things up, it just sorta happened organically the way our republic typically works - each gov made a decision for their state. Like the Idiotic NV gov who banned use of that malaria drug (might be reading the wrong news outlets if I'm misunderstanding what he did). Or like ours in MI who slowly enacted a calm, measured set of restrictions so as not to cause outright panic (even though I didn't vote for her, for this I'm relieved). Except I think notifying everyone the police would be reducing their enforcement in some aspects was, erm, not the greatest idea. So far no signs of widespread looting :D.

I suspect what he means - is for the CDC to change their guidelines on how to stop the spread. But I don't know how he can force them to give bad recommendations, but we'll see! Because, business!.

Honestly, I blame the WHO for likening it to a flu - they should have likened it to a pneumonia instead. I don't know who first started the whole "flu" thing, but the WHO waited and waited to call it a pandemic, and they knew from the get go that this thing had become one.