Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Corona Virus

Post by Gusto10 »

After having skirted te issue for some time most governments in the old world have closed schools, cafe's, restaurants, etc. No more communal sports etc.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by pelmut »

Gusto10 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:51 pm After having skirted te issue for some time most governments in the old world have closed schools, cafe's, restaurants, etc. No more communal sports etc.
There haven't been many enforced closures in the U.K. as yet, but a lot of events are being cancelled voluntarily by the organisers.  I've been kept busy in the last couple of days updating websites and re-arranging events diaries.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This has been quite interesting... that's for sure.

There is a lot I'd like to say... but I doubt anyone wants to hear it.

I will leak one statement:

"Truth shall stand when the world's on fire"
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I updated my virus scanner with the latest set. By accident I spilled some wodka over the keyboard but that is a blessing in disguise. I will not send any virusses myself over the Internet. I feel quite confident I will weather the storm, even with the official approach to the problem.

All the time I was thinking alcohol is such a good product to sanitize. They should commandeer bars and add them to the health care system and not close them. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well the country to the West of most of Briton across the big pond has shut down nearly all sports events including NASCAR, The big basket ball tourney, and the MASTERS Golf tournament.
Schools have been shut down for the next 3 to 4 weeks, from colleges to preschools. Students may take classes on line. Many businesses have sent everyone home to work from home for the next 2 to 3 weeks. Some places have just closed completely leaving workers with no money coming in. Even Churches are canceling services for fear of spreading the virus. Hospitals have been restricting visitors to 1 or 2 immediate family members who are not sick or showing signs of illness.

As for me I am trying to stay away from people in general I only go out if it is absolutely necessary and then am sure to keep disinfectant wipes handy. I don't need something like this to crud up my life now.

My advice to one and all here at the cafe' Wash your hands frequently with hot soapy water and use disinfectant wipes as well. Stay indoors at home and avoid crowds. Try not to touch your face with your hands.

Stay well my friends stay well.....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Toilet paper is finally starting to come back...

This is the first time I've seen any on the shelves in a week. I didn't need any. I took a stroll through the grocery section, some items sold out, but no where near as bad as it was a few days ago.
20200315_152948_resize_26_compress87.jpg
Good to see it wasn't flying off the shelf, that indicates to me that the community may already be stocked up.

Here's what I wore during my short trip through the walmart...
20200315_154709_resize_88_compress37.jpg
The bright red ones sure do draw out to strange looks! I got a very cheerful greeting from an elderly woman sitting in a bench in front of the store. I smiled and greeted her as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

One positive factor to take away from this situation is it has inspired myself and the girls to cease waste. Not knowing if the whole country is going to shut down for a fortnight or longer, we've been salvaging every bit of leftover food and trying to avoid throwing anything away.

Same goes with toilet paper, and virtually all consumables. Waste is a bad habit to get into even during easy times, and I believe this should serve as a wakeup call to the American family that resources are simply not as plentiful as we've been conditioned.

Waste is a new phenomenon, there is an ever shrinking number of people alive today that can recall the rationing the war times of the 40s. Americans would do well to heed this lesson. I know I've been guilty as charged more than I care to admit.

But prior to the 40s, famines and mass shortages were commonplace. Your grandparents knew it... so then should we.
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

beachlion wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:33 pm I updated my virus scanner with the latest set. By accident I spilled some wodka over the keyboard but that is a blessing in disguise. I will not send any virusses myself over the Internet. I feel quite confident I will weather the storm, even with the official approach to the problem.

All the time I was thinking alcohol is such a good product to sanitize. They should commandeer bars and add them to the health care system and not close them. ;)
This sounds like a good idea. One question will it cause a problem if when I go into the bar I order a Corona
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 pm...... Waste is a new phenomenon, there is an ever shrinking number of people alive today that can recall the rationing the war times of the 40s. Americans would do well to heed this lesson. I know I've been guilty as charged more than I care to admit. .....
The people of Europe will have more notion of things like rationing from the war years than most Americans. Also the depression was not a nice period to live in the Netherlands. Because of the very conservative attitude of the Dutch government (in the shadow of a rising fascistic Germany) the depression went over into war without much improvement. after the war, coffee was the last thing that went off ration in 1952. I must have been waiting in line to get the weekly or daily rations during the war, safe inside my mother. ;) Not much recollection now.

The very lean years after the war have ingrained a frugal attitude in me towards the daily needs and the more luxurious goods. I think I still benefit from it. Here in the American houshold I run a lean ship. My wife has to admit that we put less than half the garbage out as before I arrived.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 pm
beachlion wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:33 pm I updated my virus scanner with the latest set. By accident I spilled some wodka over the keyboard but that is a blessing in disguise. I will not send any virusses myself over the Internet. I feel quite confident I will weather the storm, even with the official approach to the problem.

This sounds like a good idea. One question will it cause a problem if when I go into the bar I order a Corona
That sounds like a double protection. But good luck if you want to find one single bottle. The last I heard was full quarantine for all Corona-related products.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 pmOne question will it cause a problem if when I go into the bar I order a Corona?
Only if you spray it around the room.

Corona (aka "Mexi-Coors") is best consumed alone in the privacy of one's domicile, and. if possible, in the dark.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stocked up on stuff a few weeks ago - figured once we got some confirmed cases the stores would empty themselves - and they did! Kinda crazy, like the movies...

What’s particularly eerie are the empty halls, no one about on campus. Today was my last day there for a while - did some last minute collaboration, brought a large monitor home, and will now be skirted for one, two, maybe even three weeks for most of the day. It’ll be nice. Might even kick me off the bad habit of pants :P
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I fear this is no joking matter. It is quite contagious, and while many recover with little trouble, older people, particularly if they have other medical problems are very vulnerable. The big problem is if too many get seriously sick at the same time, medical services get swamped. Italy is in that situation, and are at the point of brutal triage. The number of infected, and those who need intensive care, is increasing exponentially. They are very close to running out of ventilators.

If you are not keeping yourself away from others, you are putting yourself, and others, at risk. Avoid going out if you don't have to. Avoid touching things if you are out, wash your hands frequently, and thoroughly. None of us will be unaffected. Even if you avoid infection, or at least serious illness. The world economy has already been hammered, you just haven't felt the whole impact yet.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Here is an interesting link to the history of pandemics -- a quick and easy graphic to follow.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... PgGQvLSCph
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

After the UK health minister appeared on TV yesterday warning that the elderly and those with health conditions were likely imminently to be told to self isolate for 3 or 4 MONTHS, it's not surprising that there's panic buying!

Scary times indeed.