Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: the Skirtall, Without exception the illustrated ones are all almost indecently short, modelled by girls all standing up.

A bloke with a longer torso trying one of these offerings on will probably find it as short as Robin Hood's tunic, making thick tights underneath a 'sine qua-non'.

i wouldn't be attracted to them at all.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I recently went to a 3 day meeting in another town. I was in pants at the meeting and changed into a mini skirt when I got back to the motel after the meeting. I felt like relaxing with a Guiness in hand so went to a hotel over the road, in my mini - no it wasn't a drive-through - I walked in wearing a mini skirt. It was quite busy and I was in a conspicuous position standing at the bar with my back to the "audience" but there was not even a change in murmur - no, not my heart from anxiety - the back ground noise.

The next morning, before setting off on the 500km trip home, I visited about 5 charity shops, wearing a mini skirt, and as usual no comments or bad expressions, perhaps a couple of double-takes which are OK considering I would do the same if I saw another guy in a skirt.
Some stores catagorise their clothing by size I had to look through rows of size 10 & 12 (Aus) tops, pants, dresses, shorts and skirts. The upside was that I found a nice olive green, viscose dress (with embroidery) that I thought would be great to wear at home on a hot evening. At the checkout the lady held it up and said "That is very pretty", to which I replied "Yes, and it is viscose too which I like".
The down side of that catagorisation is that I bought a pair of shorts that I thought was a skirt; some women's shorts have so much flare and so little inseam that they look like mini skirts. Unfortunately the lace hem makes it difficult to convert - it will go back in the donations bin - no great loss at $4.
The advantage of shopping in a skirt is that there is no surprise about you looking through the women's section nor your final choice of garment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

The advantage of shopping in a skirt is that there is no surprise about you looking through the women's section nor your final choice of garment.
Nor in the changing room. I find it much easier to shop for skirts while in one; and vastly easier to pass the door-check person for the changing rooms because it is so obvious the selections are for me and not just some kinky fetish.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

One down side to all this corona virus business is that we are advised to limit external visits to places. So, where I would normally have gone out to visit shops skirted [0] I would now feel a bit conspicuous doing so.

[0] MOH being at work so I am free to do so without the discouraging looks/remarks.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am One down side to all this corona virus business is that we are advised to limit external visits to places. So, where I would normally have gone out to visit shops skirted [0] I would now feel a bit conspicuous doing so.

[0] MOH being at work so I am free to do so without the discouraging looks/remarks.

I felt the same way last weekend when I went out in a bright red skirt.

On the one hand, it felt inappropriate to wear something "fun" while we witness the world self destruct...

On the other hand, what better time to smile and be cheerful, wear something "fun", etc....?

When that old woman smiled and greeted me, it melted my heart. It probably blessed her to see "the kids still having a good time".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Sinned wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am One down side to all this corona virus business is that we are advised to limit external visits to places. So, where I would normally have gone out to visit shops skirted [0] I would now feel a bit conspicuous doing so.

There's a remote possibility (think positive!) that I might not be here this time next year, so I'm going to enjoy myself and wear what ever I jolly well like :D
The only upside of the virus is that a lot of aircraft are grounded, so good for lowering carbon emissions and pollution :sunny:
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Indeed. Pollution is down up to 40%, with more reductions possible. Co2 levels may actually drop this year.

Aside from climate change, lives saved from reductions in pollution are likely to exceed Covid-19 deaths. Who knew?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

If part of this shows up twice, I apologize -- bumped a key somewhere.

Sinned wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:51 am
One down side to all this corona virus business is that we are advised to limit external visits to places. So, where I would normally have gone out to visit shops skirted [0] I would now feel a bit conspicuous doing so.

There's a remote possibility (think positive!) that I might not be here this time next year, so I'm going to enjoy myself and wear what ever I jolly well like :D
The only upside of the virus is that a lot of aircraft are grounded, so good for lowering carbon emissions and pollution.

Sinned, I hope you mean 'conspicuous' as there would be fewer people present, not that being skirted is such! Charlie and Moonshadow I think you've got it right with trying to keep up the positive spirits, dressing for joy in the face of adversity is good medicine. My spouse and I spent the day at Legacy Hospital in Portland today for a tissue transplant in her eye, and though there were fewer people there I did not feel my skirt was any more outstanding than any other time, nor raise any more "looks" or comments than usual -- though I had thought perhaps the adherence to St. Paddy's day green would have sparked something -- maybe that lack was a reflection of the trying times. In either case, I hope we continue to select our clothes with little regard to other's dictates/expectations and go forth boldly! Red, green, purple or champagne -- only the task/event/job perhaps guiding our choice.

Thanks for the upbeat 'silver lining' of lives saved from less air pollution -- but please, save me one bird yet, I want to get back home!

Cheers,

Faldaguy
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I meant that there being fewer people about I would stand out more and a bit embarrassed as I may not have a real reason for being out and about. So to hell with it, I went for breakfast at a local restaurant this morning skirted and was the only customer there. Talk about standing out in the crowd. Naturally no comment on my skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

The company is "working from home" for the most part. About 3 - 5 people in the office. I go in twice a week and am mostly working on projects in the server room with an occasional phone request or something from remote/on-site workers. Today I was more or less "off" finishing a project I'd started yesterday while in the office when one of the owners called and needed me to come by his house to check his computer.

OK. Fresh, clean midnight black support hose, a black half-slip and a Torrid 5-black pocket zippered and belted Ponte miniskirt, a long sleeved white turtleneck top and a grey blazer. And, of course, my black Brooks walking shoes (since I planned to spend some time in a local park while out there.

False alarm, it was a malvertising scam so I did a little cleanup here and there, updated Malwarebytes and made a couple requested changes on his logon and his wife's and headed back home.

It had started raining, so I canceled the walk in the park, decided to stop at a Kroger to pick up some items I had not been able to find the last few days and found all but one, but no rush on it, yet.

Noted: most guys had an almost furtive , sneak up on an item and pounce, put it in the cart quickly and roll off to find the next thing approach. A couple of guys were bad-mouthing the situation muttering about nothing on the shelves and so on.

The ladies were of a serious mien, but the majority upon seeing me brought a quick smile to their face, more so when I smiled back, with a handful of the ladies not smiling until I smiled at them first.

The eateries of course, being closed except for drive-through, so I got a fish sandwich, fries and a drink. The cashier (at Window #1) saw my skirt and grinned when he handed back my change. He on the other hand, had an earring and orange highlight in his hair. Above the waist he looked normally dressed.

So. We shall see.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

No really out and about in the world at large, however yesterday evening at 20.00hrs, like many others in the UK, myself and my wife went out to clap for carers and the NHS. In our part of the street, there were as it happens six of us (all at 2m + apart). Five women, and myself. All the women were in trousers, whilst I wore a knee length denim skirt.

John
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Strange; I seldom feel out of place or uncomfortable in my skirts -- until I'm in a gathering where I'm the only one as all the women are in pants! However, I have found some of the ladies that often wore pants, in places we commonly are, are now wearing skirts more often! :?
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

I went walking a couple of days ago wearing a denim skirt. I met a few different people, but no adverse reactions.

John
20200514_113621-1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

johnb wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 am I went walking a couple of days ago wearing a denim skirt. I met a few different people, but no adverse reactions.

John
Men wearing skirts? Its the 'new normal'. :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have only worn trousers for a total of about 8 hours in the last two months. I only go out for food. I have not gone out in a skirt or dress because in Scotland you are not allowed to go far from home and if you do you are likely to be stopped by the Police and could even be fined. With a bot of luck things will relax in a couple of weeks.