Artsy skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Artsy skirts

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am As for the dino skirt, I think the palm trees are unfortunately placed for any gender and don't add anything - another dinosaur would have been much better!
For a £400.00 item, you could embroider your own just how you like and save.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:57 am
Coder wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am As for the dino skirt, I think the palm trees are unfortunately placed for any gender and don't add anything - another dinosaur would have been much better!
For a £400.00 item, you could embroider your own just how you like and save.
I have an embroidery+sewing machine! I haven't done complex designs with it yet, but that skirt appears to be hand embroidered anyways (well, probably machine embroidered to look hand embroidered). I'd probably use the machine to stitch the outlines, then do the rest by hand, now you got me thinking...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am[... O]ne thing I found out quickly the week of experimenting *leaving* work - was it was a lot of effort to put together a combination I felt comfortable in. Matching and so forth. Now... I know what my professional skirt style is - but tops are something I don't have a handle on. This has also caused a major hesitation on my part, something I haven't written about but would prefer to discuss in a different thread.
Of note in this case is that the skirt is only one facet that one needs to deal with -- it's the overall look that will make or break the matter. Thus the entire integrated outfit (costume, look, what have you) needs to work as a cogent whole -- and that is entirely within the remit of The Skirt Cafe.

One of the wonderful things here is that the membership has a vast range of chosen aesthetics. Peruse the "Pics and Looks" section for a good snapshot of the cross-section. Many of the folks here are quite good at putting entire looks together; you can learn this, too, but you have to listen to your own heart and sense of style. Most of all, delve deep into who you are to find what you want, what you find attractive, and what you can carry well. That exploration will yield riches.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not feeling the pizza skirt...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

As I'm working my courage up to skirt at work, another aspect of skirt wearing that I'm interested in is what I'd call "artsy" skirts. These could be anything from a fun print (I bought this one used inexpensively, plan to wear it this summer):

I glanced at this hoping there might be inspiration for my own wish to move past my mostly 'dull, masculine-like' selections. Found the replies focused on getting the whole outfit right a bit overwhelming for my fashion naivete, as each seemed OK for selected occasions. The first seems nicely 'dressy'; the second a quite casual summer shopping trip; and the third...well, .... party on!

Unless it is a uniform or safety issue, I cannot see needing or seeking permission to choose what you wear! Let HR have the headaches and publicity if someone can raise it to the level of viable concern--it would give you a huge opportunity to use a mega-horn for men in skirts!

Pura vida
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:14 am I glanced at this hoping there might be inspiration for my own wish to move past my mostly 'dull, masculine-like' selections. Found the replies focused on getting the whole outfit right a bit overwhelming for my fashion naivete, as each seemed OK for selected occasions. The first seems nicely 'dressy'; the second a quite casual summer shopping trip; and the third...well, .... party on!
Hopefully I can post more examples from my own collection... I would guess about 30% of my skirts fall under a less masculine appearance. Whether they are floras, bright colors, or funky plaids. It’s probably going to take some time. At the moment I’m working through my drabber skirts.

I was curious about “when would someone wear one of these” if only because I don’t have an intuitive grasp on judging appropriateness of a fun skirt. Or rather, I’m not certain I have a grasp on it, and was curious about what others thought .
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The pizza skirt is superb! I would love to wear it to a party. The landscape one is somewhat more restrained and just right for ordinary casual wear.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Because I can’t sleep, ran across this which would meet my definition of an artsy skirt:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... utType=amp

These kinds of mashups always intrigue me - and there are more wearable versions out there - posting more for the concept. Rarely if ever do you read about a pair of pants made from “random” objects.

I’m guessing it’s a two-parter:

1) skirts/dresses are easier to make, and require very little construction in their basic form

2) men tend to fly under that radar with fashion (even when dressed nicely), whereas women tend to use fashion to make a statement

#2 are my own thoughts on the matter, would be interested in what others think.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

The article is blocked, I think by a Paywall. It would be great to read it, unless it's from being on the other side of the Pond... :cry:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am The article is blocked, I think by a Paywall. It would be great to read it, unless it's from being on the other side of the Pond... :cry:
Does this work? Or is it still blocked:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... sertation/

If that doesn’t work, try searching the title via google:

A doctoral student wore a skirt made of rejection letters to defend her dissertation
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am
new2skirts wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am The article is blocked, I think by a Paywall. It would be great to read it, unless it's from being on the other side of the Pond... :cry:
Does this work? Or is it still blocked:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... sertation/

If that doesn’t work, try searching the title via google:

A doctoral student wore a skirt made of rejection letters to defend her dissertation
working now! Impressive, though it will tear easily :D
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I had to turn off my Ad-Blocker to read the article.
Good for you Caitlin :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)