Gonna have to carry a purse???

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Gonna have to carry a purse???

Post by Faldaguy »

My spouse and I spent nearly 3 hours at a Goodwill this afternoon, mostly for clothing items and despite their having a grand selection of skirts, I only bought 3 -- mostly because they either did not have pockets (adequate), or belt loops. I can live without the loops if there is a decent drawstring tie or elastic, albeit I much prefer the belt loops to carry my cell phone pouch -- but little or no pocket space puts a real constraint on things. My wife has encouraged me to use a purse -- probably practical for some, but I tend to set things down and forget them -- and more troubling, I think I'm having a harder time with the notion of a purse than I did converting to skirts. [BTW, as usual, I was skirted -- church, shopping, restaurant...]. We are visiting in Oregon so given it is cold now, I've a big jacket with ample pockets for wallet, keys, handkerchief etc...but when we get back home to Costa Rica, jackets with grand pockets are not the norm! So, what options might you suggest; and/or how did you get past your "purses are for girls" conundrum?

I am not a fashionista, choosing skirts first and foremost for comfort, but also to "get in the face" of biases, prejudices, unfounded hate, gender ID, sexual orientation absurdities, conformity etc, so I should not be disturbed by the addition of a purse, but...? Just do it I suppose, like skirts? Compounding my frustration, despite having no desire to present as female, I am finding the selections of skirts with pockets and belt loops so limited that seldom is there much color, fabric or flare to choose from -- and it is somewhat appealing to 'push the envelope' a bit and enjoy the greater freedom of more flowing color and light fabrics that work well in our more typically warm weather. I am also trying to become a bit more fashion aware with at least color and style matching as errors do seem to clash more on the male than when I was just a typical male "slob" tossing on any old pair or pants and shirt --much as I did initially with skirts, just using them instead of pants but still just grabbing a shirt regardless of color, fabric, style, shape, etc!

Ah, the learning curve is long.

Faldaguy
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gonna have to carry a purse???

Post by r.m.anderson »

Instead of CARRYING a purse or lugging a detached clutch - consider a cross body or shoulder strap bag - you might even think of it as an above waist sporran !
Some of these are slim line carrying small stuff wallet ID credit card or two and a token amount of cash.
Other large ones can carry more up to and including the kitchen sink.
With a degree of fabrication adding a belt and belt clip and it could be carried about the waist skipping the shoulder strap.
Objective is to free the hands from carrying that man-purse.
Improvise a bit and think outside of the pocket book - carry is only an option consider something else instead !

Oh and welcome to the SkirtCafe !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I'm guessing you are not referring to the UK definition of purse, which is similar to a wallet i.e. a small pouch to keep money in. In which case I'm going to go for bag!! What's the big deal? Go to Italy and virtually every man has a bag, usually messenger style, over their shoulder. I've got several. I prefer this style as it hangs nicely. Also, as I always wear them as a cross-body bag then it is secure.

Here's a couple of my pics where I'm wearing a cross-body/small messenger bag: 1. Black bag 2. Multicoloured bag
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Falda Guy: I found a good deal at Kohl's on line. Short skirts with pockets, draw strings, and are light weight. They come on a variety of color. If you buy two the second one is half off. Shipping is lower if you buy two. They are light weight and comfortable.

I carry a military looking shoulder bag with velcro pockets which are perfect for cell phone and credit cards. It has an adjustable strap to carry across or from a shoulder.

I have had two comments regarding the shoulder bag when someone asked if it was my purse with a smirk on their face. One was a woman and I told her it was my purse and it goes with my panties.

The other was from a man in his feeble attempt to attack my masculinity. I told him I don't like sitting on a wallet and my pockets don't hold enough things.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Some years ago I had an allergic reaction to I know not what (Happened at a beer tasting; I had sampled quite a few. Somebody wasn't observing the Reinheitsgebot). Since then I have to carry an autoinjector about the size of a large cigar tube. Not something you want in a pants pocket. That made a purse a practical choice. I prefer a shoulder bag; there are some styles that I would call unisex. My current one is black cordura; no decoration. Once I started carrying a bag, I put everything in it - pocketknife, handkerchief, wallet, checkbook, a couple of pens. Even when I have pockets, I prefer to leave my clothes smooth rather than lumpy. Like you, once I started wearing skirts, I became much more conscious of appearance; making sure shirts and skirts go together, along with socks and shoes or boots. Letting the fabric drape naturally is another aspect of that.
There is also a time savings; I used to empty my pockets each night, then put everything back in pockets in the morning. Now I just grab the purse, and everything is there. Wish I had thought of carrying one years ago. I live in the vicinity of New York City, where men carrying shoulder bags are not unusual at all; made it easier to start doing so.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Since I've been using a purse as a sporran, I no longer have any back
or hip pain. It is easier to get $$$$ or ATM/Debit cards out of as it's
right infront of me :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've been carrying a purse (or handbag) on my outings for years now, and it's no big deal.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

I have a couple of small wallet-sized purses which are just large enough to hold my phone and cards/cash + keys, it has a strap on so it goes over the shoulder and can be tucked under the skirt (or shorts/pants) to keep pickpockets at bay. If I carry anything larger (eg light shower coat/brolly) then a small rucsak does the job.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I always carry a handbag because I only have pockets in a few dresses - and none of my skirts have pockets except for some casual denim skirts. Almost all my skirts and dresses are too fitted on my waist and hips/butt for pockets to be functional without distorting my silhouette in my skirt/dress.

Once you're used to a handbag its second nature and easy. They are so damn goo I don't know how I ever survived beforehand !

cheers
NZF
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

For us old guys a purse is something else to forget :lol: :lol: :lol: I have started to use one but I have stayed with cross shoulder bags.

its to bad that the old fanny packs went out of style. . They are the perfect solution
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Dare I say it - if I haven't carried a handbag or clutch then there is always the tuck a credit card into a stocking welt trick (if wearing stockings) That works.So too does down my front - dress type dependant obviously.

Thats a big challenge though - a skirt/dress without a handbag/clutch/bag of sorts is actually going to be quite tricky unless you can find a little somewhere to slip the essentials.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

When away from home, if I don't have adequate pockets I use a belt pack (aka fanny pack, but that's not where I wear it). At home, I'll just use a nail apron for my pocketknife and handkerchiefs. I don't want to carry something I may forget somewhere. My wife's done that too often, and I don't think it's my "superior memory" :) that prevents me from doing the same.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've carried a black medium Tumi messenger bag cross-body for 4-5 years. I even clip my cell phone holster to the shoulder strap and let it slide down to rest on the front corner of the bag - and had a number of ladies say that they liked that idea. Very easy to reach up and unclip the phone when I need it, or clip it back in and "drop" it to fall the inch or so back down to the place where the strap connects to the bag.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

SkirtsDad wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:52 am I'm guessing you are not referring to the UK definition of purse, which is similar to a wallet i.e. a small pouch to keep money in. In which case I'm going to go for bag!! What's the big deal? Go to Italy and virtually every man has a bag, usually messenger style, over their shoulder. I've got several. I prefer this style as it hangs nicely. Also, as I always wear them as a cross-body bag then it is secure.

Here's a couple of my pics where I'm wearing a cross-body/small messenger bag: 1. Black bag 2. Multicoloured bag
I would guess that Italian men are more into a tailored look, so bulging pockets would be a no no.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I habitually wear a backpack, but I'm beginning to dislike the look of them. I use transit rather drive, assuming I'm not on my bike, so I often need to carry things. I might start using a small messenger style bag I have if not expecting lots of shopping.