Wendy Williams backlash over "men in skirts and heels"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wendy Williams backlash over "men in skirts and heels"

Post by Grok »

What will women have left? Well, she could wear something that I don't see being marketed to men-slacks with stripes.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

An article on nbcnews.com on her comments indicates that her comment on skirts and heels was probably meant as a dig at Billy Porter for wearing them at the Academy Awards. Not that that justifies it, but it explains why she would have singled out gay men for wearing them.

It would be nice if her comment could become a start to a discussion in a larger audience about clothing appropriation but it looks like it is being treated more as about transgender women than about men wearing skirts.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

(Comment deleted)
Last edited by JohnH on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Welp, this is where I pull the chain and disembark this track...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

JohnH wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 am Wendy Williams? Never heard of her until reading this thread.
If you want to see a really ditzy woman who is unfortunately well known consider Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) who seems to have gotten advice from her inebriated customers when she worked as a bartender.
This is prime example of an inflammatory message and thevkind of thing I was talking about in thread about the article that mentions Skirtcafe. It is a provocative political attack just asking for somebody to respond in kind and escalate the situation(even if that was not the intention). Furthermore it is completely off topic.

This is the kind of thing we need to discourage here if we don’t want threads being hijacked by off topic pissing contests.

Please keep your politics to yourself, if you can’t find a way to mention them without being provocative. If you don’t like AOC, it’s ok to mention that. I don’t like the entire Republican party (an understatement). We can acknowledge differences. But please try to avoid making derogatory statements about the people you don’t like/approve of when it has nothing to do with the thread topic.

If you really feel you must unload that political chip on your shoulder, please at least do so in the off-topic board. Thanks.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Yonkas wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:00 am If you really feel you must unload that political chip on your shoulder, please at least do so in the off-topic board. Thanks.
I Second this. Let's keep politics out of the discussion as much as possible.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sorry, never heard of AOC so how can she be "well known" and never read any of her comments either. Remember that you are posting to a multinational audience so try to avoid epithets such as "well known" applied to a largely local phenomenon.

As for Wendy William's comments - never heard of her and her comments are really a storm in a teacup with about as much effect on the world.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

...what Dennis said...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

And stop wearing our skirts and our heels. Just saying, girls, what do we have for ourselves?
I would respond to this with "what do men have for themselves?" I don't see any honest person answering with anything other than "nothing", or an "okay, I see your point."
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Storm in a teacup does sum it up.

I think whose clothes they are is solely determined by whose body is wearing them.
If you need and/or want to wear it why not put it on? If you think you look better dressed that way then why shouldn't you?

If you feel better and are confident with your look - then why not.

Its funny how people focus on certain aspects of what we might choose to wear. I always wear dresses and skirts, cropped jackets handbags etc, accessories such as jewellery/clutches - all sorts - but I am usually generalised as the guy who's wearing high heels or that guy's wearing a bra - rather than guy with a handbag, or a guy wearing earings, or guy in a minidress etc...

Its just a perception thing. From experience there is always going to be something folk will fixate on - it may change over time - and it does depend on the person observing as to their interpretation.

Back to what I was thinking before - if you are comfortable wearing an outfit, then likely you feel good about the image you project, in turn you should be confident. Being confident about your look is 'owning your image' and that is a big part of acceptance in my mind. Own it and people will be able to accept it. They may not understand it until they know you better, but they will be able to cope with it.

The cheeky side of me also says - 'women are wearing skirts and dresses less often, wearing flat shoes and plain clothes a lot.... somebody needs to take up the slack here, so why can't guys wear them? As long as guys are not doing it like a hooker/streetwalker or like a drag show (cause I'm not at all a fan of those looks, I don't think they help acceptance one bit). If women value their skirts and heels so much, why aren't they wearing them all the time?

Cheers
NZF
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 am Storm in a teacup does sum it up.

Back to what I was thinking before - if you are comfortable wearing an outfit, then likely you feel good about the image you project, in turn you should be confident. Being confident about your look is 'owning your image' and that is a big part of acceptance in my mind. Own it and people will be able to accept it. They may not understand it until they know you better, but they will be able to cope with it.

T

Cheers
NZF
Today I went to the VA clinic wearing thigh high boots and a miniskirt {If you want to see the outfit look on the Klinger blog}

I was thinking what the F--K is a 74 year old man doing running around in Kinky boots and a mini skirt. I realize I am not a fashion plate but as NZ says I felt comfortable wearing it I was confident that I looked at least reasonable . I owned it and don't give a s--t what people thought.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:26 am I was thinking what the F--K is a 74 year old man doing running around in Kinky boots and a mini skirt. I realize I am not a fashion plate but as NZ says I felt comfortable wearing it I was confident that I looked at least reasonable . I owned it and don't give a s--t what people thought.
Isn't it funny.
I find it harder to wear a thigh high boot than I do to wear any stiletto heeled pump (no matter how high or 'girly'). I don't mean harder in that they are difficult to wear - heelas are all pretty ok to me - its just the image - I feel I am too out there in a thigh boot!

I have several thigh boots, with heels from 3 to 5 inches but they all are harder to wear - I like the look etc - but to actually do it I find harder than a mini and crazy pumps for instance! Just me. But I like the skirt and boots look too - want to wear it more in winter - but typically revert back to regular pumps with stockings.

Thats what I mean by confidence. I know my confidence is lacking a bit when it comes to me and thigh high boots!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 am - if you are comfortable wearing an outfit, then likely you feel good about the image you project, in turn you should be confident. Being confident about your look is 'owning your image' and that is a big part of acceptance in my mind. Own it and people will be able to accept it. They may not understand it until they know you better, but they will be able to cope with it.
This is a big part of it for sure. Confidence is huge. I saw a comment on fashion a site that the most important accessory to any outfit is a smile.
nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 am The cheeky side of me also says - 'women are wearing skirts and dresses less often, wearing flat shoes and plain clothes a lot.... somebody needs to take up the slack here, so why can't guys wear them?
Yeah. This is basically the same as a retort I've been tempted to give in the past, mostly in jest. There is some truth to it, but at the end of the day, most people with live up or down to the expectations placed on them. Right now society's sartorial expectations for everyone are really low.

Women tend to often pull that stuff out for "special occasions" but that's about it. But it's the same with guys sure and such. On the other side, I know women who try to say that guys need to be dressing better, but don't see the need for them to do the same. Huge double standard.
nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 am As long as guys are not doing it like a hooker/streetwalker or like a drag show (cause I'm not at all a fan of those looks, I don't think they help acceptance one bit).
Drag was never meant to be taken seriously. It's a caricature, a mockery for laughs. It plays up stereotypes on purpose. Everyone involved, from the preformer to the audience knows what is going on (it's a guy under all that make-up) and none of them should be taking it seriously. But yes, it does reinforce the stereotypes it mocks, in a way.
nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 am If women value their skirts and heels so much, why aren't they wearing them all the time?
Some do, most don't. I've met girls who don't own a single skirt or dress, and I think we've all seen some who are far from mastering heels.

On some level I think it's like the little kid who never plays with one particular toy they have, but when they see some other kid playing with it, they start a fight trying to take it back.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Rereading this topic it just occurred; maybe it’s because most guys look better in skirts than she does
:roll:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: comments by nzfreestyler

Post by Grok »

On another forum womens reactions to kilted men were described as-women either love it, or hate it.

As for women loving it, the explanation I got is that the kilted man is assumed to have a very high level of self confidence. That is,a high level of self confidence is signaled by his break from convention.